Author Topic: Anyone hooked up their own 2nd solar panel for 5 in 1 aspirator?  (Read 17757 times)

Offline MRE

• MRE Software & FairhopeWeather.com
Re: Anyone hooked up their own 2nd solar panel for 5 in 1 aspirator?
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
Temp looks good.  After you run it for a few days be sure to report back and let us know if you think it makes a noticeable improvement.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
At this point I am shocked at how low my temp is reading. Normally it is one to two degrees higher than the station to the east and 3 or 4 more than the one to the south. I am with the one to the south and 4 degrees less than the one to the east as I monitor right now.

I will watch though and make sure it keeps up before saying for sure. I want to see how it does when the fan is off.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:17:40 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
The paint is making a difference guys. My temp is the lowest this morning out of any other site that reports. Also my humidity is higher and I even took off the 5% calibration I had on. Apparently the inside of the 5n1 is not trapping heat like it was when the fan is not running.

Offline MRE

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
Looked at your temp on the Wundermap again.  Looks normal for the area.  Care to post the specifics of the paint used?  Brand, color, gloss, etc...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
Here is another station from Davis just down a few streets from me that isn't on Wunder. http://www.weatherlink.com/user/riverstjaxnc

My station has always been higher than this one, but now it is actually a degree lower.

I used Rustoleum glossy white Enamel spray paint. I did not paint the bottom vent or battery cover, but did everything else. I also took off the wind cups and oiled the drive for the anemometer. Yesterday during some rain I actually registered a 24 MPH wind. Never before in a rainstorm have I done that.

Edit: ENAMEL, not Laquer.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:50:02 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
I'm paying close attention today. We have been cloudy all morning, so I wanted to see if the paint made an improvement on the heat building up in the sensor when the fan wasn't running. I am seeing a 2 degree spike build up slowly. I was up to 81.0 from all clouds then just after noon we got a peak of sun, the fan came on, and the temp dropped to 79. That isn't too bad, but still not exact. I don't think there is anything else that can be done at this point... Where the heat comes from I don't understand.

Offline MRE

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
Do you think the gloss white paint is an improvement?  Infrared radiation is where the heat comes from in my opinion.  It is tough to reflect it all.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »
Do you think the gloss white paint is an improvement?  Infrared radiation is where the heat comes from in my opinion.  It is tough to reflect it all.

Yes I do. My temps have always been higher than surrounding stations, and now (with the exception of the situation I posted on today), they are the same as the others, or a degree or two lower. The worst reports I was getting before the paint job were in the evening when the sun was broiling down on the west side, and during cloudy weather, but those conditions are improved by 4-6 degrees now. I am not sure if the sun over time deteriorates the original coating on the 5n1 or if the moldy dirty housing made things wrong, but in any case, I have made the condition almost completely disappear.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
If anyone is willing to paint the top windcups black like Nincehelser suggests, and report back if you think it is worth it, that would be a good test as well. It is interesting that the Davis vue is painted like that. So far, I continue to see better results than I imagined from the paint job. I also see someone else painted theirs and posted to the acurite community. I am glad that this project seems to be making things better, but of course you get some skeptics claiming that they can have 5 degree temp differences from one side of the yard to another. Well I guess you can if the device is not properly sited and calibrated... There should not be that kind of discrepancy when weather conditions are not changing within a few miles of one locations instruments to the other.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
...some skeptics claiming that they can have 5 degree temp differences from one side of the yard to another. Well I guess you can if the device is not properly sited and calibrated... There should not be that kind of discrepancy when weather conditions are not changing within a few miles of one locations instruments to the other.

Microclimates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microclimate

FYI - I recently finished running two 5n1 sensors side-by-side, one old and yellowed, the other pristine glossy white.  They were both accurate within 1F degree of each other and seemed reasonable compared to other regional stations.  Your mileage may vary, of course.  Details are on Acurite's site.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2014, 07:36:21 AM »
Obviously you are trying to prove me wrong, and a liar. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have as accurate and true of a temperature reading as possible from your 5 in 1? It is a proven fact and on record that the color white reflects heat. If you went out in the blistering sunshine for long periods, what color is recommended to reflect solar rays from the sun? That was my goal here was to reflect the sunshine and have the true temperature and not all these crazy 5 to 10 degree spikes that everyone complains about from this invention. I also stated that my sensor is close to 2 years old, and over that time it has become more and more erroneous, probably due to all the discoloration. What better way is there to clean up all the dirt and mold too?

If acurate doesn't like my idea, well I am sorry for them. If you want to have temperature spikes that should not happen in real life settings with a properly maintained instrument, that is your decision, but do not discount those who want to share the right numbers, and not get booted off wunderground.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »
Obviously you are trying to prove me wrong, and a liar. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have as accurate and true of a temperature reading as possible from your 5 in 1? It is a proven fact and on record that the color white reflects heat. If you went out in the blistering sunshine for long periods, what color is recommended to reflect solar rays from the sun? That was my goal here was to reflect the sunshine and have the true temperature and not all these crazy 5 to 10 degree spikes that everyone complains about from this invention. I also stated that my sensor is close to 2 years old, and over that time it has become more and more erroneous, probably due to all the discoloration. What better way is there to clean up all the dirt and mold too?

If acurate doesn't like my idea, well I am sorry for them. If you want to have temperature spikes that should not happen in real life settings with a properly maintained instrument, that is your decision, but do not discount those who want to share the right numbers, and not get booted off wunderground.

Um.  OK.  Whatever.   :roll:

The pristine white body is in front.  "Old Yeller" is in back.  It's not too far from 2 years old.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:12:13 AM by nincehelser »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 09:19:21 AM »
Is it an optical illusion, or is the new unit in the picture above not level?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
Is it an optical illusion, or is the new unit in the picture above not level?????

It's not quite level.  It's my "parts and testing" 5n1.  You'll notice it's also missing a wind vane.

Normally I use a shaded tower sensor to periodically test the 5n1's accuracy.  This time I used an actual 5n1 chassis that was "lily white" to see if the aging yellow color was making any difference in readings.

From what I can tell, it doesn't.

Offline MRE

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
If we are doing science...

My theory is that the paint has the most effect on the gray part.  It stands to reason that the darker color would absorb the most heat and that is also where the temp sensor is located.  The next logical experiment would be for nincehelser to paint "old yeller" and then do the side-by-side test.  Since he has already established that both units with gray bottoms perform virtually the same, we have a scientific baseline to which the results can be compared.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »
If we are doing science...

My theory is that the paint has the most effect on the gray part.  It stands to reason that the darker color would absorb the most heat and that is also where the temp sensor is located.  The next logical experiment would be for nincehelser to paint "old yeller" and then do the side-by-side test.  Since he has already established that both units with gray bottoms perform virtually the same, we have a scientific baseline to which the results can be compared.

I'm not sure I'd want to paint "Old Yeller" until it's actually having problems with temperature readings or is otherwise broken.

Offline MRE

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »
I'm not sure I'd want to paint "Old Yeller" until it's actually having problems with temperature readings or is otherwise broken.

Awww c'mon now.  :-)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
If he did what you suggest, ew, then he would have to admit that my improvement solves most of the issue with the radiation buildup. I'm not sure that he or acurite want to do that. This is why I am not joining in on their discussion over there. This forum is for sharing your "tips and tricks" for getting the most out of these products, and that is simply all we are doing by being here, and I don't want to feed into these skeptics since we already know what the outcome is. We don't need to prove ourselves, the burden of proof is on them.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
If he did what you suggest, ew, then he would have to admit that my improvement solves most of the issue with the radiation buildup. I'm not sure that he or acurite want to do that. This is why I am not joining in on their discussion over there. This forum is for sharing your "tips and tricks" for getting the most out of these products, and that is simply all we are doing by being here, and I don't want to feed into these skeptics since we already know what the outcome is. We don't need to prove ourselves, the burden of proof is on them.

Actually, no.  First off, I've no idea what got stuck in your craw and why you are attacking multiple people by calling them skeptics and liars, but I really don't care.

I was just doing a simple test on the yellowness issue as it was convenient to do so as I was working with my equipment.

I happened to mention it, and you called me a liar for it.   :roll:

All I know is that I'm not having a temperature issue like you.  Wunderground isn't dropping me for such an issue.  I just did a simple, somewhat controlled test on the yellowness issue and reported on it. 

I'm sorry my report doesn't jibe with your expectation, but that's science.

I'm also under no burden to paint my equipment to validate your "theory".  Given that I'm not having temperature problems in the first place, I'm not sure what painting the bottom would possibly "prove". 

Perhaps if you maintained your equipment better so mold wasn't growing on it you might have better results. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:01:22 PM by nincehelser »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »

Actually, no.  First off, I've no idea what got stuck in your craw and why you are attacking multiple people by calling them skeptics and liars, but I really don't care.

I was just doing a simple test on the yellowness issue as it was convenient to do so as I was working with my equipment.

I happened to mention it, and you called me a liar for it.   :roll:

All I know is that I'm not having a temperature issue like you.  Wunderground isn't dropping me for such an issue.  I just did a simple, somewhat controlled test on the yellowness issue and reported on it. 

I'm sorry my report doesn't jibe with your expectation, but that's science.

I'm also under no burden to paint my equipment to validate your "theory".  Given that I'm not having temperature problems in the first place, I'm not sure what painting the bottom would possibly "prove". 

Perhaps if you maintained your equipment better so mold wasn't growing on it you might have better results.

I don't care if you paint yours or not. Let's get that right.

Next, why are you running around trying to persuade people that painting the unit is useless? Then you put out little factoids that have nothing to do with what is and is not accurate at my location. I have seen much more level and consistent readings, and that is what is important, not going around saying I was right.

:-) I don't need "little factoids". I've been around enough to know.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »
Next, why are you running around trying to persuade people that painting the unit is useless? Then you put out little factoids that have nothing to do with what is and is not accurate at my location. I have seen much more level and consistent readings, and that is what is important, not going around saying I was right.

I am not "running around" trying to "persuade people".  Where do you get that?

I don't know what "factoids" you're talking about, either.

I'm just reporting the results of my controlled experiment.   I found yellowness due to aging doesn't seem to impact the temperature readings on a 5n1. 

I don't understand why that has put such a briar in your britches regarding paint.

I'm sorry I even brought it up.  Sheesh.   ](*,)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2014, 03:05:31 PM »
For those who are interested in reality, we have sunny hot weather today, and my temp is spot on with the two local ASOS sites. Now that I have seen these results, I could not be more pleased with this sensor, but because I have been a victim of these hit and runs, I think I will move on to another company when the time comes. I encourage any of you to paint yours if you want spot on accuracy.

http://wxug.us/1jnts
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:01:17 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »

I'm just reporting the results of my controlled experiment.   I found yellowness due to aging doesn't seem to impact the temperature readings on a 5n1. 

I don't understand why that has put such a briar in your britches regarding paint.

I'm sorry I even brought it up.  Sheesh.   ](*,)

You went to acurite and made the topic about spiders and testing 2 unpainted 5n1's. The topic is about painted 5n1's and the success behind it.

Microclimates link. I have flat terrain and no differences in climates unless you travel many miles.

You have yet to use paint, so I don't see what your experiment has to do with what our results are indicating? You seem to just be trying to railroad us. What is the issue you have with trying to make this product all it can be?

I am not a scientist like you, I am just a pee on. I won't bother to try and enjoy anymore of your products, I'll move on to the ambient weather.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »
I am not a scientist like you, I am just a pee on. I won't bother to try and enjoy anymore of your products, I'll move on to the ambient weather.

What products?  I'm not an employee of Acurite... I'm just a weather hobbyist with 16 years of experience with many brands as well as home-brew systems.  Acurite has been my focus for the past few years, but I'm certainly not married to their product line in any way.

Perhaps you should get a bit more informed before you start calling people liars and skeptics. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:30:34 PM by nincehelser »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
Iiiiii am going to step in here in my Admin clothes* and ask nincehelser and DoctorKnow to please let it drop. I'm declaring a draw.No winners, no losers.... I'd otherwise lock this topic but there is still some good info here and the potential for people to add to it.

* Admin clothes- that nice white jacket with the long sleeves and buckles that the attendants in the rubber truck put you in before they take you to the rubber room.

anything