Author Topic: Weatherlink IP not working  (Read 4233 times)

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
Re: Weatherlink IP not working
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »
wake up today, and WLIP is not connecting.... this is the new one I put in the other day.

And I see it's back in operation.

(The Jimboomba box image in your signature seems to be present if it's working, and absent if it isn't).  Do you suppose that might be a clue?  I don't know, of course.

The problem is with your network and/or the NIC card settings on your computer.  Davis can't help.  We can't help with the limited information available.  It has been suggested that you get rid of the static IP settings on the WLIPs.  That might or might not help.

The weather tag is done in ImageSalsa, and part of it is data from WD, but time of day and date is added by IS.

Well I would if I could... I can't change the settings in WLIP now because I can't get back in to it.... I wish I could.

The old WLIP was running Static IP address for years without an issue, but now it no longer works.

Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 10:58:56 PM »
I think you should be focusing your attention to the network/routers/cables/ISP and "other", just because the "WLIP" doesn't appear to be working doesn't mean it's a WLIP issue. By the way you don't have a Meteobridge do you?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 12:12:04 PM »
The old WLIP was running Static IP address for years without an issue, but now it no longer works.

The WLIP works.  You just can't access it.

wake up today, and WLIP is not connecting.... this is the new one I put in the other day.

(The Jimboomba box image in your signature seems to be present if it's working, and absent if it isn't).  Do you suppose that might be a clue?  I don't know, of course.

The weather tag is done in ImageSalsa, and part of it is data from WD, but time of day and date is added by IS.

So?

Why does it sometimes appear as part of your signature in this forum, and sometimes does not appear?  Perhaps that's related to your network problems?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:03:39 PM by dalecoy »

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 03:06:02 AM »
still no luck.

I can ping the IP address of both weatherlink IP's, but am unable to access either of them.

I've been bouncing emails to Davis themselves, but it's like extractiing teeth with them, as apparently they are short staffed at the moment... takes about a week to get an email responded to.

So not particulary happy.... sadly my old datalogger to my old Davis vp2 is incompatible with my new vp2, so can't even go the serial route, and I just can not afford to buy a third data logger at this point of time.
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 03:11:40 AM »
3rd party data logger option maybe?
E. G the new Wi-Fi one?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 03:24:43 AM »
.... sadly my old datalogger to my old Davis vp2 is incompatible with my new vp2....

Very very annoying that situation isn't it  :mad:

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 04:07:49 AM »
3rd party data logger option maybe?
E. G the new Wi-Fi one?

Didn't realise there was a new wifi version available now.
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:32 AM »
.... sadly my old datalogger to my old Davis vp2 is incompatible with my new vp2....

Very very annoying that situation isn't it  :mad:

Certainly is, otherwise my weather station would be back on the air now.

I just don't have another $300 to throw away on a new one if I were to buy one over here, and then I've still got two non-working IP ones, which are currently set to a static IP address.
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 04:33:35 AM »
I would also check your power adapter. I had a similar incident last year and after consultations with Davis Australia, they indicated to check the power supply and new batteries.

The final outcome was the power supply was failing and as soon as it was replaced I have had no issues.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 04:49:20 AM »
I just don't have another $300 to throw away on a new one if I were to buy one over here, and then I've still got two non-working IP ones, which are currently set to a static IP address.

It would be good if someone with some network skills could document a way of recovering these loggers. I suspect that there's a good chance that the loggers are still working OK, but that there are network issues that are preventing adequate communications to reset the loggers. Don't things like the ARP or RARP commands offer some prospect of finding out what's going on?

But this does remind me that assigning static IP addresses to IP loggers does not seem to be a good idea.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 04:57:56 AM »

It would be good if someone with some network skills could document a way of recovering these loggers. I suspect that there's a good chance that the loggers are still working OK, but that there are network issues that are preventing adequate communications to reset the loggers. Don't things like the ARP or RARP commands offer some prospect of finding out what's going on?

But this does remind me that assigning static IP addresses to IP loggers does not seem to be a good idea.
There should be no issues with assigning a static IP address as long as it is not within the DHCP range.

It was only last night when doing the firmware update to console to 3.80 that I reverted to DHCP reservation.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 05:18:57 AM »
There should be no issues with assigning a static IP address as long as it is not within the DHCP range.

Of course there shouldn't be. But that doesn't alter the fact that the difficult-to-fix problems seen with IP loggers are often associated with people unthinkingly setting static IP addresses. So in practice, my advice always is that unless you have a strong reason for choosing static then it's always best left at the default dynamic address. A lot fewer support calls that way!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 06:07:46 AM »
I would also check your power adapter. I had a similar incident last year and after consultations with Davis Australia, they indicated to check the power supply and new batteries.

The final outcome was the power supply was failing and as soon as it was replaced I have had no issues.

Now that's an interesting idea, but this is happening with two different vp2's and two wlIP data loggers.

I really hope this is the problem, but Davis USA haven't suggested that one yet, and this is going back over 3 weeks now.

Don't suppose you happen to know the appropriate voltage and current required ?
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 06:11:07 AM »

Is this "do not do static IP" due to people assigning static IP's out of a DHCP range ?  or is there another reasoning ?

I considered some network issues myself, and ran up a lap top to switch to datalogger using the same IP's, but totally isolated from the rest of the network, all via ethernet cabling, no wireless.  Sadly didn't make any difference.  :(

Any one know how to put a WLIP back to factory defaults?  flashing it doesn't do it.
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 06:12:39 AM »
oh, yes, it could very well be the power supply
I have had problems with that before come to think of it now

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 06:17:33 AM »
Is this "do not do static IP" due to people assigning static IP's out of a DHCP range ?  or is there another reasoning ?

Yes, but a bunch of other things too, like people getting a new router or simply forgetting the IP address or simply having an upload failure and then asking how to troubleshoot it on a different network (sometimes with a completely different private IP range). Quite often, the users are not very network savvy and for whatever reason thought that static was a good way to go.

Overall, it's just an association of intractable problems with IP loggers and using a static IP address.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 06:44:11 AM »

Now that's an interesting idea, but this is happening with two different vp2's and two wlIP data loggers.

I really hope this is the problem, but Davis USA haven't suggested that one yet, and this is going back over 3 weeks now.

Don't suppose you happen to know the appropriate voltage and current required ?
No it was so long ago but I just had a look on the site below which at least has more guidance towards managing the device then Davis themselves.

http://www.davisinstruments.com.au/troubleshooting

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
I'm facing a similiar situation since yesterday. I tried to update firmware version, as Davis recommended, and I realised that my VP2 was offline. Today I did all process to reboot everything, without success. WLIP have a static IP, IP is active and I can ping to it with success, however the station is offline and I can't access the configuration page. I brought the WLIP to my home to swap with the WFL I have running. Lets see if it will work. When you talk about power source, should be AC adaptar replaced for one with more amperes?
----
Frederico Wessel
My weather site: www.tempoemteutonia.com.br
Brazilian PWSs: www.estacoesdobrasil.com.br

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
I was never able to get either of my WLIP to work again.

I eventually got myself one of those wireless ones from the UK, that has worked fine since.

Sorry for you, but glad to see I wasn't the only one to suffer a WLIP failure.
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
I was never able to get either of my WLIP to work again.

I eventually got myself one of those wireless ones from the UK, that has worked fine since.

Sorry for you, but glad to see I wasn't the only one to suffer a WLIP failure.

If it will not work again, will be the second WLIP to die since 2013.
----
Frederico Wessel

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »
weather link live has now replaced the IP data logger

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2020, 06:26:12 AM »
Fortunataly, today aftert 4 days disconnected from console, I connected again WLIP and connected my laptop via cable at the same network and could update WLIP firmware, download data and it's online again. I don't know if it was because WLIP was many days disconnected or what, but, it's working again!
----
Frederico Wessel

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2020, 08:59:29 AM »
Fortunataly, today aftert 4 days disconnected from console, I connected again WLIP and connected my laptop via cable at the same network and could update WLIP firmware, download data and it's online again. I don't know if it was because WLIP was many days disconnected or what, but, it's working again!

I have experienced exactly this behavior in the past, years ago. Running perfectly since:

http://farrera.atmos.cat

Offline nickg

• Ravenspoint Weather
Re: Weatherlink IP not workin
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »
Same problem here.  My WLIP keeps going silent - stops responding and is inaccessible via IP. Only way to restore operation is to remove it from the console and plug it back in again - which is a pain as it is at a remote site 250 miles away! 

Is there a better way to get an IP data feed from my Vantage Pro set up?  The WLIP sends data to a Mac running WeatherCat that then creates the charts for my website.  Was thinking a Meteobridge Pro Red - removing the need for the console?  Now the WLIP is discontinued what are the alternatives for uploading weather data to my own server?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherlink IP not workin
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 03:42:19 AM »
Now the WLIP is discontinued what are the alternatives for uploading weather data to my own server?

There's no obvious reason why your WLIP should be regularly misbehaving unless it's an interaction with your router's DHCP service, eg too short an IP lease? (Or is the WLIP actually a bit loose in its socket?)

Yes, MB Pro Red is one good option, or eg Nano or Nano SD, though WiFi Logger would be a drop-in replacement for the WLIP.

That said, many users are switching to Weatherlink Live and taking the annual subscription to achieve archive storage in the cloud. But if you need graphs to be uploaded to your own website then you would need to run some local software like CumulusMX in addition to WLL itself.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK