Author Topic: WU webcam page down  (Read 3232 times)

Offline MarkWX

• Senior Contributor
WU webcam page down
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
My WU cam page has been degrading this month. Some of my noon images are blank and the updates were slow many days. My time lapse videos were getting shorter as they had fewer images. Also in the last few days the time was set to GMT even though I had MST in the settings. Now today the page has completely disappeared and my cam status has gone to "awaiting approval". I upload my image to server and they fetch it from there.

Anyone else having similar trouble? I contacted them but of course I haven't heard anything yet. I sure hope they can get their act together someday. Seems like not a day goes by anymore that there isn't one bug or another. I looked around a little and saw some cams are working.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
Re: WU webcam page down
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »
Hi Mark,

I am not currently seeing the problem you are describing, but I have definitely had it happen to my page MANY times in the past.  Wunderground  has been having "issues" with their webcam section for months now.  Mainly slow updates and stuff like that, but these missing images on your calendar page have been to happening on random PWS pages for well over a year now.

Last April I lost nearly half the month's worth of images for some unknown reason.  One day they were all there, and the next they were all gone.  I ended up with images for every day AFTER the day the first 15 days vanished, but to this day, those missing images have remained unaccounted for.

Never got a response from Wunderground on what happened either.  Even after something like 5 submitted tickets.

I afraid that we just have to live with this kind of stuff.  Seems to be the way it is over there these days.   ](*,)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:14:58 PM by WeatherGoose »

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline MarkWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I figured I probably wasn't alone on this given all the other little bugs that keep coming up all the time. I just hadn't noticed much problem with the cam section until this month and it just kept getting worse day by day until it disappeared today.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
I'm to the point now that if it works, fine, and if it doesn't then that's fine too.   #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »
I'm to the point now that if it works, fine, and if it doesn't then that's fine too.   #-o

Same here.  I like having those still images on the calendar to compare year over year conditions, but as far as time-lapse and all that kind of stuff, I generate all my own movies with my EVOcam software.  Far better quality than what WU provides.   :)

So Mark... If it is the time-lapse stuff you are missing the most, I would suggest finding a good webcam application and using that to make your own.  \:D/

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2

Offline MarkWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
I would like to do my own thing but I'm not sure if I can. My cam is an IP network cam so my computer is completely out of the loop. If there is a way I have no clue how.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
I would like to do my own thing but I'm not sure if I can. My cam is an IP network cam so my computer is completely out of the loop. If there is a way I have no clue how.

I'm on Macintosh so I can't recommend a stand alone webcam program that can run IP netcams on Windows, but I would be VERY surprised if there is not something out there can can run your camera.

The software I use has full support for IP cams.  In fact, I will soon be putting that part of EVOcam to work when we get our brand new StarDot XL3MP up and running at the Lake, hopefully by the first week of March.  \:D/

I have no doubt that others will be along shortly to provide you with some links to some quality webcam applications that support IP webcams.  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:14:30 PM by WeatherGoose »

Offline MarkWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:24:28 PM »
I did get software with the cam but its geared toward security applications so I don't think it will do what I need. I was also trying to keep the work load off the computer since I don't have a dedicated weather computer at this point but if there is an easy way to do it that doesn't tax the computer too much or fill the hard drive with images that might be a consideration. I would love to get a StarDot some day but that will be a while. I have already put lot into this whole weather adventure and need to back off for a bit. Its a lot of fun though and something I have been dreaming of for a long time. It also fills a gap here in the valley where there isn't really a good reliable source. The airport is 18 miles from town and sees very different conditions much of the time. I'm surprised they don't set up an official station closer to the population.

Offline MarkWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »
The cam page started working again yesterday afternoon. I actually got a reply to my emails and was thanked for the report. They said they were aware of the problem and were working on it.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:25 AM »
Glad to hear that the Wunderground folks actually got back to you on this problem!  :)  As I mentioned before, they have been having problems with their webcam section for a very long time, but it seems to only effect specific PWS uploads at any given time, so most often, not everyone is seeing the issues you described at the same time, but eventually I think pretty much everyone will experience it if they run a page there long enough.  ;)

I would love to get a StarDot some day but that will be a while. I have already put lot into this whole weather adventure and need to back off for a bit.

Fortunately, I didn't have to pay for the camera myself.  I was approached by a third party who was impressed enough with my weather station website and my NWS affiliation that they offered to supply the camera if I would host it and operate it on my system.   Kind of a dream come true for any PWS operator and who wouldn't jump at the chance!  It hasn't been a total free ride for me though, as I have had to do a lot of consulting and overseeing of the location choice, lining up a contractor for the installation, reconfiguring the internet equipment at the lakefront home hosting the camera and finally, researching exactly what lens and other accessories we would need for the camera.

It has taken a lot longer to get this all pulled together than I ever expected it would, but I think we are getting close to finally getting this thing online.  Hopefully by the middle of March it will be online for public access. I will most definitely post a little announcement about the addition once it officially goes online, and be happy to field any questions about operating the StarDot from a remote location.

This will be the first HD camera at Bass Lake, so even our local rag is planning to cover the launch.  :)

Its a lot of fun though and something I have been dreaming of for a long time. It also fills a gap here in the valley where there isn't really a good reliable source. The airport is 18 miles from town and sees very different conditions much of the time. I'm surprised they don't set up an official station closer to the population.

This was exactly my situation here too.  Although we had a few privately owned stations, none of them were sited in a good location for accurate data and once word got around that my station was operating, the locals all arrived via word of mouth.  I didn't solicit the NWS either.  They found me via my WebCam page and after monitoring my data for a few weeks, asked if I would mind if they used my station data for their Bass Lake/Crane Valley feed both in their forecast system and on their radio broadcast.  \:D/  After I got over the initial shock of the request, it took me all of a couple of milliseconds to say yes!  LOL!

Your local NWS office might be interested in your feed too!  They may not know you are operating, so it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know you are there and willing to become their official reporting station for your area.  What do you have to lose?  8-)

Offline MarkWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:48:39 PM »
Wow, that's pretty sweet that someone financed the camera for you. :)

There is one other station here in the valley at the USGS/NPS building but its not official. It shows up on MesoWest (one hour updates) and WU but it disappears once in a while and sometimes for days at a time. The local paper advertised it a couple months or so ago as a new installation but I looked at its history on WU and its been there since '08 maybe, I don't remember for sure now. Anyway I plan to run a 4 week add in the local advertiser at some point when I have the extra money for it. I'm already getting a fair amount of traffic from search engines, WU, Weather For You and such.

Our local forecast office is in Grand Junction, CO, which is about 110 miles away by road. I email snow/rain/conditions info to them and include my station link. I don't know if they look at it or not but they should be aware. They actually called one day to find out if it was snowing or not. That was a first. That's pretty cool about how you were made official. I can imagine how shocking that would be.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:06:14 AM »
Wow, that's pretty sweet that someone financed the camera for you. :)

There is one other station here in the valley at the USGS/NPS building but its not official. It shows up on MesoWest (one hour updates) and WU but it disappears once in a while and sometimes for days at a time. The local paper advertised it a couple months or so ago as a new installation but I looked at its history on WU and its been there since '08 maybe, I don't remember for sure now. Anyway I plan to run a 4 week add in the local advertiser at some point when I have the extra money for it. I'm already getting a fair amount of traffic from search engines, WU, Weather For You and such.

Our local forecast office is in Grand Junction, CO, which is about 110 miles away by road. I email snow/rain/conditions info to them and include my station link. I don't know if they look at it or not but they should be aware. They actually called one day to find out if it was snowing or not. That was a first. That's pretty cool about how you were made official. I can imagine how shocking that would be.

Cool idea about running an ad about your station.  :)

Sounds like you have gotten their attention at some point if they called you about your current conditions!  =D>  I would definitely give your NWS a call and ask to talk to the senior meteorologist and just ask him/her if they would be willing to include your station's hourly data on their NWR radio broadcast.  It is always worth a shot since if they are not currently listing your town on the air, they may go for it. They may require a review of your data for a bit of time to make sure you have an acceptable uptime percentage and no surprises with your solar radiation shielding etc.

As for my free StarDot.... There were a few strings attached, but nothing unexpected.

I do have to include a banner ad below the StarDot's cam image that mentions the company that provided the camera and the location.  It is a local property management company which owns the house where the camera will be located.  I generally don't run ads on my site, but in this case I don't have a problem with it.  They are a respected local business and have been here for decades.  The property management company figures they can pick up some additional business from people seeing the beautiful view this camera is going to be providing.  It is a real win win all the way around.  I also have a provision in our contract that if the lake side location ever becomes unavailable, and another comparable location can not be found,  the camera ownership gets transferred to me so I can permanently install it here at my place.  :)

Just shows, you never know what may come your way from running your own weather station!  \:D/

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
I have thought about corporate sponsorship.  Anyone else sought outside money?

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.