Author Topic: Rainwise MK 3 & IP-100  (Read 5109 times)

Offline kljw

Rainwise MK 3 & IP-100
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:49:32 AM »
Hi All
I need a little help and guidance if possible. I have built a web page that can be see at www.mm0ktc.com.
I have just ordered a IP-100 unit, in order to upload live data to my site, and here is the problem... as I am not computer literate as they say, I am confused about how to get the data uploaded to my site and displayed.
I used Weather Display and Weather Display Live to show data on a previous version, but not be able to leave my Mac turned on means I cannot see data when away from home.
if there is anyone that could look at the web page and advise what I need to do to get the data showing, I would appreciate the help. I don't have a lot of time to spend learning code in order to achieve the end result, hence why I am posting.

thank you in advance

Keith
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:22:34 PM by kljw »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: Rainwise MK 3 & IP-100
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
When you register your IP 100 you will automatically receive a web page. It's pretty simple to register and the site will be up and running in less than 10 minutes!

There will be several other options to register your RW MK-III with. Those will be pretty simple to do as well. Just take your time and if you need further assistance after you receive the IP 100 and have it registered, just ask. I'm sure someone here will be glad to assist.

Offline kljw

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:24:47 AM »
Blizzardof78
many thanks for the res[once, but I would like the data to go to my personal site that I am developing, not the generic one offered by Rainwise Net.

Keith

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »
maybe use an IFrame to the web site you get provided that is updated via your IP logger into your own web page

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:12:52 PM »
You could nix the IP and get the computer interface and run it into a Meteobridge box.  Lots of options from there!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
but he already has one

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:50:59 PM »
He said he "ordered one" - send it back!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:48 PM »

the thing is you do not know the whole picture here and the reasonings etc (I do)
and so jumping in to suggest to use a meteobridge etc is not the solution he is after, and is just confusing things

all he wants is , temporarily, is for the data from the rain wise IP data logger that is sent to the rain wise web site , to be instead sent to his own web site
a solution might be to use an iframe or similar to show the rain wise web site data in his own web site

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 11:41:33 PM »
Your "solution" is not really a solution.  If the OP is after his data rather than  embedding RW.net or CWOP or WU in aniFrame, then he'll have to scrape Rainwise or somehow  intercept the data flow.  The MB is a solution that gives him much more control over his data yet still send to WU etc.

Offline kljw

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 02:04:47 AM »
Hi
many thanks for the all the responses, certainly given me something to think about.
As I have ordered the IP-100 from a UK supplier, then I would not be able to return it. I had looked at the Meteobridge box, but I am not keen on the idea of having another box shall we say in line from the logger. so there is a desire to reduce the amount of hardware I have.
I have gone for the IP-100 so that data can be uploaded to the web, when I do not have my Mac turned on, this is the main reason. The idea of an iFrame sounds like the best solution, as when I open up my web site, I can see the current conditions, which is all I am after, and is easy from people to find, as it linked to my Ham Call Sign.
I will still be able to access data directly from the IP-100 to display on my Mac as I use Weather Display.
thank you all again for the information, very much appreciated.

Keith
MM0KTC

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Hi Keith

As you've heard, the Rainwise IP-100 was intended to display your data in their web environment.

What you may want to try is go ahead and build your website and have one of your pages point to your Rainwise web portal URL.

Jim

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 01:02:54 PM »
Your "solution" is not really a solution.
But I think you will find for this situation it is a solution

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
Your "solution" is not really a solution.
But I think you will find for this situation it is a solution

This looks like a good option.  Although I've never used it (gave up personal hand-held web sites years ago), this looks like it may work.

<iframe src="http://www.yourrainwisesite.net"></iframe>

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
This is probably the only time you will ever hear this from me, but yes... an iframe is a good solution in this case :D

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »
If the OP wanted to keep a small box (Raspberry pi?) running, you could run some code to interrogate "status.xml" which is updated with the Rainwise conditions every 2 seconds.  There is some Python code floating around the net...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »
What is the difference between getting a Raspberry Pi and a Meteobridge... the point here is that Brian´s solution means he can achieve what he wants without any additional devices.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
With zero flexibility.  Essentially screen-scraping only what Rainwise's canned web page provide.  No steel series gauges, no Meteotemplate etc. MB provides so much for instance and the .xml route would give full control and much better display.  But if all the guy wants is to have his webpage display current Rainwise info, then I'd just create a subdomain weather.nnnn.com and point it to his Rainwise page.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
@Bushman, its only needed overnight,to use the Rain wise IP data page,  when his Mac is not running
as posted in the very first post
otherwise his web page is updated by the weather display software running on his mac when during the day

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:27:19 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »
With zero flexibility.  Essentially screen-scraping only what Rainwise's canned web page provide.  No steel series gauges, no Meteotemplate etc. MB provides so much for instance and the .xml route would give full control and much better display.  But if all the guy wants is to have his webpage display current Rainwise info, then I'd just create a subdomain weather.nnnn.com and point it to his Rainwise page.

Yes, yes, yes...... yes to all your arguments, but... if I understand this correctly, this is a temporary solution, I also wouldnt buy and set up MB and all the rest just temporarily. What are you going to do with afterwards. Sell it?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »
Sure - why not sell it?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »
@Bushman, its only needed overnight,to use the Rain wise IP data page,  when his Mac is not running
as posted in the very first post
otherwise his web page is updated by the weather display software running on his mac when during the day

It has been years since I used my (legally licensed) copy of WD.  How would this work?  Would WD overwrite the iFrame source only when it is on?  When it goes off, how does the iFrame code reappear?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
Sure - why not sell it?

Because first of all - would it really be worth it to first have to order it, then install it, then use it for a short while and then trying to sell it and ship it again?
And second, this is not a main stream product and it is not that likely someone would just happen to be looking for one in your neighborhood and most importantly - I am not sure you can actually "sell it", since meteobridge is not really hardware, but rather software licence tied to the device MAC address.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
How would this work?  Would WD overwrite the iFrame source only when it is on?  When it goes off, how does the iFrame code reappear?
that is a point, but there will be ways to overcome this
(i.e the iframe code is part of the WD web page template)

this is only a temporary thing

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
How would this work?  Would WD overwrite the iFrame source only when it is on?  When it goes off, how does the iFrame code reappear?
that is a point, but there will be ways to overcome this
(i.e the iframe code is part of the WD web page template)

Clearly you are privy to information at a greater level than originally posted.  I'd like to see the code (likely Javascript, not OOTB) that manages when which box is sending information.  Assuming the OP actually wants WD on their webpage at all.  I have to say this is exactly why I hate these pre-canned net-connected devices:  try to do anything but what they were designed for and there is much  consternation.  Oh well, hopefully the OP gets something up there that meets the requirements.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »
Assuming the OP actually wants WD on their webpage at all.
why would you say something like that?
why would they not want to?

I'd like to see the code (likely Javascript, not OOTB) that manages when which box is sending information
and so what it will be , I would suggest, is a web page updated by WD during the day, with an iframe for the Rainwise IP data from their web site, being updated as well...but at night, then the Mac is off, then it will just be that iframe data that will be up to date with information

it does not need to be any more complicated than that..i.e talking about python  code on a raspberry pi is not exactly something the average person is going to want to do

anything