Author Topic: Weather Link Live Desktop GUI  (Read 7702 times)

Offline tom899

Re: Weather Link Live Desktop GUI
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 06:49:01 AM »
I picked up a Weather Link Live, and the one thing I wanted was a display I could put on my computer desktop. 

Nothing that I found in searching seemed to fit exactly what I wanted.... so I wrote this one.

https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink

Its rough around the edges - if you play with it, you will definitely be a beta tester.  The released jar files should work on Linux and Windows, if you are on Mac, well, you will have to build it yourself at the moment.

This only supports Weather Link Live, on your local network.  It pulls all the data from the rest API, and reads the live UDP stream.
No configuration at all should be required - assuming autodiscovery works on your network.

It currently stores all of the data - so the data is all there - it will be fairly easy to add features like exporting the data to a CSV file, pushing to external sites, etc.

Feedback (and pull requests) welcome :)
Hi darmbrust, I like the looks of your app! Nice job! I would really like to have this running on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit machine, but need a little help please, sorry. I have a Weather Link Live.
I downloaded and installed "OpenJDK11U-jdk_x86-32_windows_hotspot_11.0.9.1_1.msi", and "OpenJDK11U-jdk_x64_windows_hotspot_11.0.9.1_1.msi". (maybe I shouldn't install both?)
I downloaded and am trying to run GUI 1.08 "weatherlinkWindows.jar", The window opens, but spinning dots like it's trying?
I'm sure I'm missing something simple? or maybe not?
If you or someone can please help I appreciate it.
Thanks,
Tom
-------------------------
Update: I am also trying to run from the command line as administrator. I'm trying with and without my Live <IP address>.
This is what I get
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 07:19:48 AM by tom899 »
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »
Hi Tom, I'm not sure offhand why it might be doing that to you.  If you can grab the contents of the debug log file, and post them - either here, or in a bug report on github, I can take a look. 

On Windows, the log file should be in C:\Users\<yourusername>\Weather Link Live GUI Data\weatherLinkDebug.log

Offline grumblin

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
Is it possible your Weatherlink Live device sits on a different network than your PC?  We have multiple wifi networks in our house - and because of the way the software grabs the packets, it MUST be on the same network.   Just a thought.
Also, I had an issue with the software finding the device at times.  I gave my Weatherlink Live device a static IP address, and I also start it with a batch file that specifies that IP address.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:01:14 PM by grumblin »

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:58 PM »
Oh, and I'll update the readme - for the build I'm making, you need to have the x64 variation of java - it won't run with the x32 version.  But I think you are ok, you wouldn't see the GUI at all if it was running with the wrong version.

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 02:37:13 PM »
Hello darmbrust  i am also having the same problem as tom899 my WLL and pc are all on the same network debug log attached

Thanks Atlantic21

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 02:56:16 PM »
Hello darmbrust  i am also having the same problem as tom899 my WLL and pc are all on the same network debug log attached

Thanks Atlantic21

Thanks, looks like yours isn't sending a data field I expected.  I'll have to make some code updates to better handle missing fields.  Thanks for the feedback.

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 03:08:06 PM »
It appears you must have a second wind/rain gauge on your system... even after I fix the issues with the null field handling, there still may be an issue with the GUI not knowing which one to use for displaying things like temp - I hacked this all together making assumptions from my system, where I only have one data source :)

Ideally, everything would be customizable, and you could set up each gauge using the GUI, by selecting the data source for it.  But I never got that far on this little side project.  I'll see if I can add an easy way to make sure it shows your primary sensors...   

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 03:51:17 PM »
darmbrust my setup is Davis vantage view using separate wind transmitter .temperature and rain are from the vantage view

Atlantic21

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »
So, it turns out my issues with the null handling were actually a regression when I refactored the DB creating code....  ](*,)

I've fixed that now.

https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/releases/tag/1.09

It would only hurt you if you were trying to use the app for the first time ever, and didn't yet have a DB.  Which is why I didn't catch the regression in my testing.

If you just tried the app for the first time, with release 1.08 - please delete your data store, prior to trying 1.09.  You can just delete the entire C:\Users\<username>\Weather Link Live GUI Data\

If you were using a version prior to 1.08 - you can just move to 1.09.  The bug only happened when it first creates the tables.

For your situation, unfortunately, its going to take a 50/50 shot at selecting the sensor ID to display - and I'm guessing you are going to get either temp and rain OR wind... not both.  I need to make the GUI more customizable to let you pick the right sensor id gauge by gauge.  Or just be smarter about picking the one with data.

If you want it to choose which one it uses, see  https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/blob/develop/README.md#multiple-outdoor-sensors--wrong-sensors-displayed

Which probably isn't that great for your situation... feel free to put in a feature request.  But unfortunately, I tend to only make time for this little tool when something isn't working for me.... but enhancements welcome as well, if you can code java :)

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »
tom899 - if this update doesn't fix your issue as well, I'll need to see a debug log from your system.

Offline tom899

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2021, 07:07:35 PM »
tom899 - if this update doesn't fix your issue as well, I'll need to see a debug log from your system.
Thanks, I appreciate the help! I've been I'm tied up, sorry, wanting to get back to this very soon.
Thanks
-Tom

Offline tom899

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 07:21:16 PM »
I deleted the files, installed 1.09 and still get the same. Here's my log file, I put a .txt on the end so it would accept as attachment. thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:11:59 PM by tom899 »
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 08:06:23 PM »
Huh, I'm not sure what the forum software is doing, but what I see above isn't a log file... its like a source dump of the weather forum page... odd.  Can you try again?  You can just open the log file with a text editor, and copy some out.  It probably isn't very large.  And the issue probably includes the word ERROR.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 09:43:10 PM »
I just tried v1.09 and am having the exact issue as tom899. I just keep seeing the spinning blue dots.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Attached are my log files.

Steve

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:23 PM »
strange.  your weatherlinklive seems to be returning some HTML header information within the first part where I expect to only read data.... so I'm failing to parse all of the data.

Is your weatherlinklive brand new?  Or perhaps old and not updated?

my weather link returns:
test success - received: {"data":......

Yours is returning:
received: content-type: application/json

{"data":.....

I should be able to update the code to handle this pretty easily, but I'll need you to test, since my WLL doesn't do this.

Offline tom899

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 10:46:09 PM »
strange.  your weatherlinklive seems to be returning some HTML header information within the first part where I expect to only read data.... so I'm failing to parse all of the data.

Is your weatherlinklive brand new?  Or perhaps old and not updated?

my weather link returns:
test success - received: {"data":......

Yours is returning:
received: content-type: application/json

{"data":.....

I should be able to update the code to handle this pretty easily, but I'll need you to test, since my WLL doesn't do this.
It’s new, with I believe latest firmware from August 2020.
I know, the log file is strange?
I’ll try again in the morning.
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:49:04 PM by tom899 »
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 11:41:18 PM »
I think I got what I need from the other log file that got posted, assuming your issue isn't a third new issue :)

This is a mysterious one to me... looking into it more, my WLL is also sending headers, and the code I'm using to read from it is (properly) stripping the headers, and just giving me the data. 
The log I looked at above clearly shows I got passed a stream that still had headers in it. 
So, I'm not sure if Davis has made a mistake in a version of the firmware, and are sending out an invalidly formatted header - or - if there is a bug in the exact version of Java you are using and it isn't removing the header info properly.

I wish I could reproduce it, so I could see it locally....

If someone who is seeing the issue knows how to use curl, I'd be curious to see what it says if you do:
curl -i -X  GET  http://192.168.10.37:80/v1/current_conditions

With the IP of your WLL.  Specifically, if the headers seem malformed.

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 12:15:19 AM »
1.10 is posted.  I think this will resolve the problem with parsing the WLL response.  If not, post log snippits again :)

https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/releases/tag/1.10

Would be nice to figure out if this is a Davis bug on newer units, or a java bug.... I tried to reproduce it locally on windows with the same version of java, and failed to reproduce the issue.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »
Version 1.10 still didn't work for me. I've attached the log.

I checked on my firmware and it's Apr 4, 2019. I've contacted Davis about getting an update to it then I'll try the GUI again.

Steve [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:36 AM »
Until Ken has a chance to look at the forum attachment issue I recommend zipping your attachments.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
Sorry, with the forum issue, when it posts like that, I don't get the attachment...  I really just need to see a small bit of the log, you can open up the log file with any text editor, and copy/paste the part that has ERROR in it, along with a few lines before that.

Or zip the log file, which seems to work.

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2021, 10:42:06 AM »
FYI, my WLL reports my firmware as  Jul 30, 2020.

I don't recall if there is a way to do an upgrade when you bluetooth into it or not... kinda suprised they aren't just auto-updating these.

I wonder if the out-of-date version you had had a bug.... but that doesn't explain why my hack didn't work around the bug.  I'd still like to see a log snippit again.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2021, 10:45:04 AM »
I'll try attaching a zip of the logs. Hopefully Davis will get back with me today regarding updating firmware.

Steve [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline tom899

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2021, 10:55:47 AM »
My firmware is also July 30 2020
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:13 AM »
My firmware is also July 30 2020

Can you send me your log?  you might have a different issue.