Author Topic: New things for Davis console  (Read 3413 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
New things for Davis console
« on: December 14, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »
Will I find here some users (3 people) to test and help improve newest prototypes of connectivity devices for Davis consoles?

Offline Herbaldew

Re: New things for Davis console
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »
I would be happy to.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »
I can if needed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
I can help if needed.
I am running WLL so not sure if this impacts what you are asking for help testing.

Can you share a bit more information on what testing help you need?

Thanks
Frank

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »
I can help if needed.
I am running WLL so not sure if this impacts what you are asking for help testing.

Can you share a bit more information on what testing help you need?

Thanks
Frank

1 prototype is a set of boards to take out logger from console.
Logger is outside to dont generate extra heat, but the main feature is that batteries inside console do not power WL IP, or WiFiLogger, but just logger memory.
Batteries should work for 3 months with WiFiLogger, or WL IP.
I am looking someone with WL IP to check this design.

2 prototype is Ethernet device very close to WL IP. It is sending data to WL. com and WU and share localy on port 22222. Uploads are with 1min resolution, so no RapidFire. It should be robust, not filled with multiple options.
Here I need people with Weewx, or other problematis software, to help me make it robust.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 04:04:20 AM »
I have a spare console or two receiving wireless ISS data and a spare RPi that could run WeeWx or something.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 06:57:23 AM »
I have a spare console or two receiving wireless ISS data and a spare RPi that could run WeeWx or something.

Perfect. I will prepare prototype unit for you.
It should be ready on the end of this week.

In general Weewx is not prepared for any error in connection. It is because RS232 is very robust. WL IP was very good. WiFiLogger because of WiFi reconnection from time to time it is not working perfectly with WeeWx.
New Ethernet logger has to work perfectly with WeeWx, or there is no place for it on market.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 07:30:51 AM »
Cool. I set up WeeWx before and also have CumulusMX running now with MeteoPi.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 07:41:20 AM »
Cool. I set up WeeWx before and also have CumulusMX running now with MeteoPi.

No rush. Shipping is about 14 days. So you will have it in 17-20 days :)

Offline TomKeffer

• Author of weeWX
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »
In general Weewx is not prepared for any error in connection. It is because RS232 is very robust. WL IP was very good. WiFiLogger because of WiFi reconnection from time to time it is not working perfectly with WeeWx.

Not true at all. WeeWX sets a timeout parameter for all serial operations. It the connection times out, it retries 3 times. If that fails, it releases the connection and retries from the top.

Not sure I understand the rest of your comment.

Regards,

-Tom Keffer (author of WeeWX).

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 07:00:57 PM »
I believe I have been successful so far. Web server is running but has no data fed into it yet. I would have to take down one of the other stations to use hardware to try it out.

Once connected to console I expect the worst I have now is to correct one file path maybe.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
I am successful with setting the program to Simulator. Stumbled at first as I forgot about setting the file permission to allow weeconfig to work.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 08:51:07 AM »

Not true at all. WeeWX sets a timeout parameter for all serial operations. It the connection times out, it retries 3 times. If that fails, it releases the connection and retries from the top.

Not sure I understand the rest of your comment.

Regards,

-Tom Keffer (author of WeeWX).
Tom it is perfect that you are here and you are active.
Cilents who bought WiFiLogger claim that it is not stable with WeeWX. WeeWX is a great software. There is multiple people wanted to use it.
With WiFiLogger WeeWX crash from time to time. Some users wrote me that crash is every 4 days.
WiFiLogger has some features to reboot it when something is not right. This mechanism include not only internal WatchDog, but also external hardware monitoring chip.

Some clientes to solve thairs problems, they are writing scripts to reboot WiFiLogger, but also to check if WeeWX demon is still working and turn it on again if crashed.

Maybe there is a way, to prevent WeeWX from crashes?

Offline TomKeffer

• Author of weeWX
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 10:09:22 AM »
Cilents who bought WiFiLogger claim that it is not stable with WeeWX. WeeWX is a great software. There is multiple people wanted to use it.
With WiFiLogger WeeWX crash from time to time. Some users wrote me that crash is every 4 days.
WiFiLogger has some features to reboot it when something is not right. This mechanism include not only internal WatchDog, but also external hardware monitoring chip.

Some clientes to solve thairs problems, they are writing scripts to reboot WiFiLogger, but also to check if WeeWX demon is still working and turn it on again if crashed.

LOL! I'd say it's the other way around. If your goal is to emulate the original Davis logger, then it should not crash the driver, which has been stable for 10+ years.

What, exactly, is the problem?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 12:16:38 PM »

LOL! I'd say it's the other way around. If your goal is to emulate the original Davis logger, then it should not crash the driver, which has been stable for 10+ years.

What, exactly, is the problem?

I can't say. I don't use WeeWX. I have some info from my clients, that they are not satisfied with connecting WeeWX to WiFiLogger.
I am attaching LOG from Jerry. I hope I do not publish Jerry's sensitive data.

When WiFiLogger loose WiFi connection, then it reconnecting and test connection. It can take 3 minutes, then it reboot itself if there is no internet.
During this situation WeeWX crash, or I believe it is during this operation. Frequency: 2-4 days.

Offline TomKeffer

• Author of weeWX
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »
Thanks for that. Looks like the user is running on a Mac.

That is a very short snippet of a log, and it does not have timestamps, so it's hard to piece together exactly what happened.

It looks like weewxd (the WeeWX daemon) had a connection to the logger, downloaded some data, then the connection timed out, then it was reset by peer (the logger, in this case). This is followed by numerous time outs, and more resets. Correct?

Does your IP logger have any keep alive strategy? Or, if there is no activity for a while, does it drop the connection?

-tk

Offline TomKeffer

• Author of weeWX
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 09:12:40 PM »
Thanks for that. Looks like the user is running on a Mac.

That is a very short snippet of a log, and it does not have timestamps, so it's hard to piece together exactly what happened.

It looks like weewxd (the WeeWX daemon) had a connection to the logger, downloaded some data, then the connection timed out, then it was reset by peer (the logger, in this case). This is followed by numerous time outs, and more resets. Correct?

Does your IP logger have any keep alive strategy? Or, if there is no activity for a while, does it drop the connection?

-tk

@WiFiLogger?

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 10:50:47 PM »
I think the demon must have got'im...

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 03:47:56 AM »
@WiFiLogger?

On vacation at the moment I believe. Should be back as from 11th Jan.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline k8tek

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 12:15:48 PM »
I cannot get weeex to work with the WiFi logger either. It keeps dropping the connection. Cumulus MX works fine. I think the problem has something to do with weewx hogging the connection.

Offline TomKeffer

• Author of weeWX
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »
I cannot get weeex to work with the WiFi logger either. It keeps dropping the connection. Cumulus MX works fine. I think the problem has something to do with weewx hogging the connection.

WeeWX works fine with the standard Davis logger. It does depend on being able to control the state of the logger. But, until @WiFiLogger gets back to us, we'll never know what the issue is.

Meanwhile, if you're having trouble, post to the weewx-user forum.

Offline k8tek

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 02:24:32 PM »

WeeWX works fine with the standard Davis logger. It does depend on being able to control the state of the logger. But, until @WiFiLogger gets back to us, we'll never know what the issue is.

Meanwhile, if you're having trouble, post to the weewx-user forum.

Your belcherstown skin is what made me attempt to get away from cumulus.

Offline TomKeffer

• Author of weeWX
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 02:31:58 PM »
Credit goes to Pat O'Brien for that.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »

I had to put quite a bit of extra code into Cumulus MX to make it work "fairly reliably" with the WiFi logger compared to the Davis device. The WiFi logger connectivity is not very stable.
Mark

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »
So the instability is related to those programs but no issue it seems in my case with WFL running almost one year just uploading to CWOP and getting picked up by my MeteoPi.

Will be interesting to see how it can be solved.

anything