Author Topic: Flagpole Anemometer Mount  (Read 1639 times)

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
Flagpole Anemometer Mount
« on: January 28, 2020, 01:39:11 AM »
I'm interested in getting my Davis VP2 anemometer higher than it currently is (15 feet) and relocating it in a slightly different area than the ISS for improved exposure. I've been thinking about the idea over using a flagpole (telescoping or sectional) to do this. I looked around on here a bit and haven't seen anything recent about this. I know there's a wide variety of options for flagpoles out there from cheap to very expensive. Not looking to spend more than $100 or so on this since I'm at a rental property and don't want to invest much at this location. I found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QM6457M/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3VG2AIMES5HBR&psc=1, but not sure about its durability in higher winds (its a 16 gauge pole). Don't want it to fold over in a higher gust and destroy the anemometer :shock: The highest measurement I've had here so far was around 25 mph due to a lot of blockage from trees and buildings very close by. I can locate the pole next to a fence where I would add support by using some pipe straps.

Anyone have any luck with the cheaper flagpoles? I would LOVE to get a tele-pole someday!

P.S. Unrelated, I just purchased an AC fan (23 CFM) for my 24 hour FARS. Was getting tired of dying batteries and fans.
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Flagpole Anemometer Mount
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 06:10:39 AM »
One thing to consider going higher doesn't always provide much benefit if the trees are taller still. Been there before 15' or 33' feet doesn't make much difference with 40' trees.
As far as the pole goes it may be strong enough if winds don't exceed 45 mph or so with the PVC inside. Really without testing its just a guess, however.
Randy

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:57:36 AM »
I know it won’t be perfect, but it’s more of a relocation improvement. The ISS is close to a 2 story building (about 8 feet due to trees) so the anemometer is nearly completely blocked by north wind. So moving it to a more exposed position along with adding some height will certainly improve it to some degree.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »
P.S. Unrelated, I just purchased an AC fan (23 CFM) for my 24 hour FARS. Was getting tired of dying batteries and fans.
=D> Make sure not to stick it in backwards! ;)

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »
Ordered the pole. I’ll report back on my findings :?
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 01:39:42 AM »
Got my budget flag pole installed a few days ago. Here's what my set up looks like now. I know... not great sitting, but much better than it was, trust me. The anemometer itself is at 21 feet AGL and about 2 feet above the gutter line of the roof seen in the picture. I have an additional 3 foot segment I can add, but wanted to see how 21 feet does for now. Haven't gotten any significant winds yet (19 mph gust max since the new pole was installed), but expecting 40-50 mph winds here in New Jersey tomorrow afternoon so we'll see how it holds up. Most of the pole is sheltered from the wind so I'm not too worried about it. It also has added stability since I secured it to the fence with straps. Perhaps I'll report back after the winds tomorrow and Friday.

P.S. The AC fan is the best mod I've done to the ISS. Extremely responsive temp and dewpoint measurements!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 10:48:36 AM »
Ham radio operators have faced this problem for decades.  The problem with lightweight stuff is you never know when the downdraft will exceed the rating of the pole.  And what you hang off the pole (windloading) makes a lot of difference.  I'm not sure if flags are rated, but antennas are and I don't recall seeing a windload chart for various anemometer or complete stations..

I have a bunch of pesky trees (hate 'em when they shed billions of oak leaves, love 'em when they shade the house from too much sun in the summer) that keep growing.  When I moved here 40 years ago, they were much shorter.  Strange how that works.

Nonetheless, as stuff has gone up on my tower, I have lost the physical ability to safely climb.   Finding a climber to work on stuff is harder and harder now that TV antennas aren't needed for much of the entertainment we get, even HDTV off the air.  I really get ticked when a sensor such as an anemometer bearing suddenly needs attention and it is way the heck up there.

I can recall going to Dayton, OH Hamvention for many years and spending a lot of time looking at fold overs and telescoping towers.  Out of my price range but neat, and to be accessible, they are not as strong as good old Rohn 25G or 45 G tower, but certainly something that if I knew I was going to live another 10 years and devote a lot of time to sensors on the towers, I'd give it some thought again.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline impala454

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 12:20:56 AM »
I found this thread because I'm looking for options as well.  Alex can you report on how yours has worked out for the past few months?

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 12:33:05 AM »
Sorry for the late reply. The flag pole held up well, but I've since relocated the anemometer to the roof. I believe the highest measured gust on the flagpole was 33 mph.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline impala454

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 09:18:54 AM »
I can vouch for this harbor freight flagpole.  See my build post here.  Just yesterday got nearly 80 mph winds in a bad storm and it held up fine.