Author Topic: Remote mounting of the Rain Gauge  (Read 1505 times)

Offline opfor2

Remote mounting of the Rain Gauge
« on: March 30, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
I live in an extremely windy part of Ventura County and I have an issue with my Rainwise MK III rain gauge indicating rain due to severe vibration on windy days.  I would like to know if the rain gauge can be remotely mounted onto a more stable platform than the stock location? 
Rainwise MKIII
Rainwise CC-3000 computer Interface running Weatherview 32

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Remote mounting of the Rain Gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
I live in an extremely windy part of Ventura County and I have an issue with my Rainwise MK III rain gauge indicating rain due to severe vibration on windy days.  I would like to know if the rain gauge can be remotely mounted onto a more stable platform than the stock location?
Don't know if you can remove yours or not, but I use the RAINEW 111 Tipping Bucket which is remoted and hard wired into My Davis VP2 just because of the very problem you state. Reports exactly as my Davis tipper did. Problem solved, good/accurate tipper too!

Offline looney2ns

• http://members.sigecom.net/looney2ns/
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 04:05:46 PM »
Yeah, top of the mast is a horrible place for a raingauge.
I use the rainwise guage mounted 18" off the ground to the lip of the funnel.
I would think you could remove your current bucket and move it. But I don't own one, so YMMV.
You would need to do some wiring back to the original location.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
The MK-III-RTR

MK-III Sensor assembly with remote rain gauge. This model has a remote rain collector that can be mounted at ground level. This is a popular choice for locations that require regular cleaning of the collector. Leaves can clog the collector and must be removed to ensure accurate operation.

If you don't have this model I'm there are ways. Some of the Davis station owners use the rainwise 111 with modified plug.

https://rainwise.com/about/mkorderguide.php
Randy