Author Topic: Weather Link Live Connection?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
Weather Link Live Connection?
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
I looked at the pdf for this new device but i do not see how it works. My VP2 is using the old USB data logger connected to my PC which has cumulus on it.

I don't see anything about connecting the VP2 console to the weather link live by cable? I only see you need to use your cell phone and add the station but how is it going to find it if you don't physically connect a wire to the Weather link live.  ](*,)

OR does this device have a antenna inside it to get the data that the VP2 console would normally get? If that is the case what happens to my VP2 console? couldn't i use both.....by both i mean keep using my PC and cumulus and use weather link live.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:16:52 PM by Tazz 316 »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Weather Link Live Connection?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
The WLL receives the same wireless signals from your outdoor ISS that the console does.  They operate 100% independently of each other.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »
OR does this device have a antenna inside it to get the data that the VP2 console would normally get? If that is the case what happens to my VP2 console? couldn't i use both.....by both i mean keep using my PC and cumulus and use weather link live.
Yes along with the new Weatherlink Live you can continue to use your existing Console/USB datalogger and then Weatherlink PC or Cumulus as before.

The basics of the Weatherlink Live is that it is a receiver from your VP2 ISS (and other Davis sensors if you have them), as an addition or alternate to your current console and USB datalogger/pc setup, and it is WiFi to your internet router from which it sends to weatherlink.com so do not need a computer for this.  Live data is also viewable through the Weatherlink app - Android and IOS.

Both USB and WL Live can receive data from your VP2 ISS at the same time.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
Because having a 3rd answer can't hurt....

Think of the WeatherLink Live as another console. You can have as many consoles as you want. They all get the same radio broadcast that your ISS sends out.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »
Because having a 3rd answer can't hurt....

Think of the WeatherLink Live as another console. You can have as many consoles as you want. They all get the same radio broadcast that your ISS sends out.

Well that makes sense then why don't the pdf just say that! :)

I'm guessing this is Davis attempt to get you to pay for there on line yearly service. Does this also mean they don't have a new improved console coming out to display your weather data.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »
Yes along with the new Weatherlink Live you can continue to use your existing Console/USB datalogger and then Weatherlink PC or Cumulus as before.

The basics of the Weatherlink Live is that it is a receiver from your VP2 ISS (and other Davis sensors if you have them), as an addition or alternate to your current console and USB datalogger/pc setup, and it is WiFi to your internet router from which it sends to weatherlink.com so do not need a computer for this.  Live data is also viewable through the Weatherlink app - Android and IOS.

Both USB and WL Live can receive data from your VP2 ISS at the same time.

Enjoy,
Paul

So in a way we can get by the only one weather software per port on the PC.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:12:51 PM »
So in a way we can get by the only one weather software per port on the PC.
Don't know if you can actually run a PC weather program like Weatherlink PC or Cumulus from the Weatherlink Live.  But there are users using VirtualVP (now no longer supported but still available at no charge http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html ) that does allow running more than one program from the same datalogger.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »
Don't know if you can actually run a PC weather program like Weatherlink PC or Cumulus from the Weatherlink Live.

The WeatherLink Live does not yet have a way to get data from it over to a PC weather software like Cumulus or any other. There has been information mentioned from other sources that Davis is working on an API for the WeatherLink Live. There is not much more details about this yet. There is no time frame for this yet. When this happens the thinking is that then 3rd party software like Cumulus, Weather-Display, WeeWx and Meteobridge and whoever else should be able to then get the data. Until then hold on to your USB and IP loggers.

I'm guessing this is Davis attempt to get you to pay for there on line yearly service. Does this also mean they don't have a new improved console coming out to display your weather data.

I don't think it is a way to get you to pay for their online service. This is just the culmination of advancing the technology offering into a more capable product. As the WeatherLink Live has been referred to as like a new 8xEnvoy. The WLL is very capable and can receive from multiple ISS and multiple transmitters. It also provides WiFi capability. It is probably the next logical step in providing a newer console (speculation). So no new console yet. My speculation is that the next console will be a WiFi device that gets its data from the WLL or it will simply be an app that you run on a cheap tablet.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:27:40 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 09:35:53 PM »
software currently can get data from weatherlink.com
but not at a fast rate
hopefully any api will allow faster update rates to software

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
I'm all for the app to get my data like you said use a cheap tablet wherever you wanted.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 09:52:44 PM »
software currently can get data from weatherlink.com
but not at a fast rate
hopefully any api will allow faster update rates to software

Why would you want to get data FROM weatherlink.com, at rates faster than you are allowed to send data TO weatherlink.com?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 03:08:51 AM »
what is the update rate of WLL to weatherlink.com ?
from what I can understand, its e.g every 2.5 seconds or so
which is much faster than the say fastest 1 minute update rate of the IP data logger
now
I would have thought that any api that is going to be released would allow for a say every 2.5 second data retrieval
that is the question (which might be via your WIFI connection that WLL is connected to)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:23:14 AM by waiukuweather »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 03:23:44 AM »
what is the update rate of WLL to weatherlink.com ?
from what I can understand, its e.g every 2.5 seconds or so

No. It's once per minute (for current conditions - archive is on a 15min interval by default uploaded hourly) just like WeatherlinkIP. I wouldn't expect that to change.

BUT if you have the Weatherlink smartphone app connected to the same local network as WLL then you can see 2.5 sec (ish) updates, but the app is getting data direct from the WLL and not via wl.com.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:46:08 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 03:31:59 AM »
so then that is the key
the api would allow software/other apps to get that same fast update rate over your WIFI

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 03:34:29 AM »
the Davis WLL iOS and Android apps, getting that live data from WLL over wifi
is that done via UDP?
i.e is there any setup required (i.e having to set the IP address or something (not needed if it gets UDP data))

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 03:41:53 AM »
the Davis WLL iOS and Android apps, getting that live data from WLL over wifi
is that done via UDP?

Sorry, no further information available at this stage AFAIAA.

i.e is there any setup required (i.e having to set the IP address or something (not needed if it gets UDP data))

Initial setup is achieved over Bluetooth via the WL app. A WLL does acquire an IP address automatically so DHCP presumably. Manual IP configuration can be done if required under the Advanced Settings button. But there's no web interface accessible at the IP address, just a short JSON error message - there may be something there but needing some other (as yet unknown) command or port to call it up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:57:47 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 07:12:26 AM »
I bought one to play with should have it next week!  :grin: