Positive
7 (50%)
Negative
1 (7.1%)
Anvil Crawler
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: September 09, 2014, 12:14:04 PM

Author Topic: Blitzortung Flash Crowd.... ?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Blitzortung Flash Crowd.... ?
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
In 1973 Larry Niven coined the phrase "Flash Crowd", where curious or disorderly people would teleport to the scene of anything interesting, thus creating disorder and confusion.
We can handle that...

Tobi has asked if there are any plans for something similar for Region 3.  He wants an excuse to get out of Europe, for awhile.
So, for the next 2 weeks, let's see if there's an interest, and we go from here... sometime next year???
Let's just go for positive, negative, and anvil crawler...(meaning "maybe" or "depends on when and where") and we'll explore further....

Mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:39:03 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Blitzortung Flash Crowd.... ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
In 1973 Larry Niven coined the phrase "Flash Crowd", where curious or disorderly people would teleport to the scene of anything interesting, thus creating disorder and confusion.
We can handle that...

Tobi has asked if there are any plans for something similar for Region 3.  He wants an excuse to get out of Europe, for awhile.
So, for the next 2 weeks, let's see if there's an interest, and we go from here... sometime next year???
Let's just go for positive, negative, and anvil crawler...(meaning "maybe" or "depends on when and where") and we'll explore further....

Mike

Boy, your timing with this topic is absolutely perfect - I am working on getting a Blitzortung presentation together for hams around this area (northern Nevada). There is an annual Northern Nevada Ham Convention held each year in either Reno or Virginia City (just outside of Reno). They have hundreds of attendees from all over the US. I was asked by a local ham to pursue putting together a Blitzortung presentation for that convention. In the back of my mind was the thought of seeing if Tobi and/or Egon might like to attend and give a BO presentation. At this point in time, it's only in the thought process and no contacts have been made. If this looks like something that folks might be interested in, I will continue to pursue the subject and see where it takes us.

Getting amateur radio operators (hams) involved would most certainly give this project a huge kick-in-the-pants for the western part of the US and perhaps nationwide.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »
Bump up...

Offline b.e.wilson

• Hillcrest South Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
Sorry, but I have no idea what I would be voting for here. Developing a teleportation machine? A meet-'n-greet? Online meeting? Creating a flash to see if everyone "hears" it? Sow discord?
Bruce/KF7K

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »
Sorry, but I have no idea what I would be voting for here. Developing a teleportation machine? A meet-'n-greet? Online meeting? Creating a flash to see if everyone "hears" it? Sow discord?
1. Teleportation machine?   Heck, I wouldn't put it past us, combining talent and experience!
2. Meet 'n' greet?  Well, maybe not quite that simple...
3. Online meeting? Nah, we could set something up like that most anytime...
4. Creating a flash to see if everyone "hears" it?  Probably during the development of #1, anyway...
5. Sow discord? Absolutely!  Picture 30 or 40 of us turned loose in a Hampton Inn, or similar, somewhere... .

Let's just call it a weekend powwow.... one-night-stand- ... convention...  brainfest... 48-78 hour caffeine (or other) orgy... rally, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Lunch at McDonalds, Coffee at Starbucks....  The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,..  Blitzortung's March Through Georgia... Denver Must Die.... The California Blitz Rush... whatever we come up with, if anything...

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »
Bump again...

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 08:25:20 AM »
1. Teleportation machine?   Heck, I wouldn't put it past us, combining talent and experience!
2. Meet 'n' greet?  Well, maybe not quite that simple...
3. Online meeting? Nah, we could set something up like that most anytime...
4. Creating a flash to see if everyone "hears" it?  Probably during the development of #1, anyway...
5. Sow discord? Absolutely!  Picture 30 or 40 of us turned loose in a Hampton Inn, or similar, somewhere... .

Let's just call it a weekend powwow.... one-night-stand- ... convention...  brainfest... 48-78 hour caffeine (or other) orgy... rally, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Lunch at McDonalds, Coffee at Starbucks....  The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,..  Blitzortung's March Through Georgia... Denver Must Die.... The California Blitz Rush... whatever we come up with, if anything...
If we meet at the "center of minimum distance" location, it looks like it would be around Depauw, IN . Even from KY that looks like a bit of a trip for a breakfast, hamburger and coffee. So a good location would probably have other points of interest nearby.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:31:07 AM by Dr Obbins »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »
Wow! 13 votes! We're burning this poll up, aren't we!

Guess I could take that as LOMI....

anything