Author Topic: Heathkit 4001-ID Issue  (Read 5318 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Heathkit 4001-ID Issue
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
Well we had at least three rounds of thundery weather move over last night. Gust of 45 at 6:01 p.m. in the first round. Quarter size hail in the second round. And heavy rains in the third round overnight.

Sometime during that first round AFTER the gust of 45 my Heathkit speed went to 0. That's ZERO!

I fiddled with it today, connected, disconnected, connected, you get the idea, the speed wires on the indoor unit. Unplugged the console, plugged it in, etc. Even went to the extent of putting a new 50' outdoor cable on the thing. (It was given to me by the guy I purchased the unit from).

Seems as if the speed is consistent for a period of time and then becomes erratic. I even tested it for 30 minutes inside in a controlled environment with a fan blowing on the cups; inconsistent. I'm about to offer the unit for sale as I do not know what else to do with it. If someone out there knows what the issue may be please post it. If it's not working correctly (at least in my mind) soon, it's up for sale. Hate to get rid of it, but...

Don in Ohio

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: Heathkit 4001-ID Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
Uh-oh! I just noticed I posted this in the wrong spot! Could someone move it to the correct spot for me! My apologies!!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »
Well we had at least three rounds of thundery weather move over last night. Gust of 45 at 6:01 p.m. in the first round. Quarter size hail in the second round. And heavy rains in the third round overnight.

Sometime during that first round AFTER the gust of 45 my Heathkit speed went to 0. That's ZERO!

I fiddled with it today, connected, disconnected, connected, you get the idea, the speed wires on the indoor unit. Unplugged the console, plugged it in, etc. Even went to the extent of putting a new 50' outdoor cable on the thing. (It was given to me by the guy I purchased the unit from).

Seems as if the speed is consistent for a period of time and then becomes erratic. I even tested it for 30 minutes inside in a controlled environment with a fan blowing on the cups; inconsistent. I'm about to offer the unit for sale as I do not know what else to do with it. If someone out there knows what the issue may be please post it. If it's not working correctly (at least in my mind) soon, it's up for sale. Hate to get rid of it, but...

Don in Ohio

If you have a multimeter you could set it in the lower DC voltage range and measure the green wire out of the wind assembly cable (pin 18 into the console) to look for pulsing activity. Do your test setup with the fan inside and spin the cups slowly to compare meter readings when it's good to when it goes to zero (or erratic). This (half-split method) may point you to either the anny( w/cable) or the console problem area. If the meter readings begin to fail then the problem is with the anny and if the meter readings remain consistent when the wind speed figures become erratic, then it may be a console issue (internal transistor, connection, etc.). Make sense? It would be a shame to let it all go for a 75 cent transistor or similar. Good luck!

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »

Don in Ohio

If you have a multimeter you could set it in the lower DC voltage range and measure the green wire out of the wind assembly cable (pin 18 into the console) to look for pulsing activity. Do your test setup with the fan inside and spin the cups slowly to compare meter readings when it's good to when it goes to zero (or erratic). This (half-split method) may point you to either the anny( w/cable) or the console problem area. If the meter readings begin to fail then the problem is with the anny and if the meter readings remain consistent when the wind speed figures become erratic, then it may be a console issue (internal transistor, connection, etc.). Make sense? It would be a shame to let it all go for a 75 cent transistor or similar. Good luck!

Kind of makes sense... Maybe I should just take it somewhere they do that kind of stuff and have it tested / worked on? The green wire is one that goes to the wind direction. White and black are wind speed. My total lack of knowledge of electronics is the exact reason I never purchased a kit to assemble.

Don in Ohio

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »
The green wire is what I was getting off the on-line schematics. I guess the important thing would be the connection to terminal 18 on the inside console. Sorry if any confusion.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »
Thank you, but I'm afraid I'm a lost sole regarding those kind of things. I wonder if anyone in Ohio has this same unit or could assist? I'd gladly compensate. Would really hate to get rid of the unit.

Don

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
'Scratch' Test
For a quick test to see if the wind speed is working.  Remove the Green wire from the wind speed sensor screw, then use a small jumper wire to jumper from the Blue wire (+5 Volts) and 'scratch' the other end across where the Green wire would be connected.  This 5 Volt noise should create a reading on the wind speed indicator.

If this works then I would look at the photo-transistors in the boom. Those are easy to replace.
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »
Could be wiring also since you mentioned "The green wire is one that goes to the wind direction. White and black are wind speed." and all documentation I'm seeing is showing the Green is used for wind-speed.?.?.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
Could be wiring also since you mentioned "The green wire is one that goes to the wind direction. White and black are wind speed." and all documentation I'm seeing is showing the Green is used for wind-speed.?.?.

Hi Dan... The first row (bottom row) is wind direction... the middle row is wind speed.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 01:10:11 AM »
'Scratch' Test
For a quick test to see if the wind speed is working.  Remove the Green wire from the wind speed sensor screw, then use a small jumper wire to jumper from the Blue wire (+5 Volts) and 'scratch' the other end across where the Green wire would be connected.  This 5 Volt noise should create a reading on the wind speed indicator.

If this works then I would look at the photo-transistors in the boom. Those are easy to replace.

Just tried this. Received random numbers, but I did get a reading each time. I changed that photo transistor  and the LED earlier. Now I'm without a wind speed or direction?  #-o

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
'Scratch' Test

Just tried this. Received random numbers, but I did get a reading each time. I changed that photo transistor  and the LED earlier. Now I'm without a wind speed or direction?  #-o

Wind direction quit working when you changed them out?
B.S. Meteorology

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
Yes. I did the scratch test for Direction and speed, received positive (good) test results. I did these with the personal assistance of a fellow in California who used to work for HK, Don Peterson I think was his name. I ordered a new set of IR and Photo Trans off of him, have yet to install. Your opinions? Thanks!

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »
I think that's a good start. I believe you have one or multiple of those that are bad. When you put them on the board to be soldered, don't bend the leads. Solder them with the leads straight and then snip the excess off. Also check the soldering of all the wires on those boards. Also look for any lifted foil on the boards. The scratch test you did proves the issue is in the wind boom.
B.S. Meteorology

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
Excellent, and thank you for your experience!!!  =D>

anything