Author Topic: WS-2902 sniffing data from a Raspberry Pi without internet or WIFI  (Read 1823 times)

Offline digitalundertaker

WS-2902 sniffing data from a Raspberry Pi without internet or WIFI
« on: September 04, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »
I'm sniffing the data from WS-2902 using the AP mode of a Raspberry pi then sending to data to other Weather web sites. I'm created a small script  to use this data to send to the APRS network using radio. It is working perfectly but the problem is that if I loose internet I cannot sniff the data from the WS-2902, even when it is supposed to be connected to RPI. The idea to send the data by RF to the APRS network is keeping sending data to HAM radios in case of an emergency. I have tried various approaches but I think as soon the station loose connection with ambient servers it stops sending data. Am I correct?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2902 sniffing data from a Raspberry Pi without internet or WIFI
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:17:49 AM »
Yes, that is how TCP networking works. If there is no acknowledgement then there is no data to send. Even still before it can send it needs to do DNS resolution to find out what IP address to send to and if DNS doesn't resolve because there is no Internet then nothing gets sent.

What you could do is set up your own internal APRS server, no need to sniff traffic then. A Meteobridge can send to that APRS server internally. No internet required because address resolution is internal network and data is being sent inside the network only. Or you could do the same thing with an ObserverIP that is running older firmware and then you can set up WeeWx to receive Weather Underground data internally, then you can sniff that. Look up Network Redirection and setting up WeeWx with the Interceptor driver.

And I'm sure there are other possibilities, like sending to an SQL or FTP server, then picking up the data there instead of needing to sniff it. The thing is to think to keep it internally. But regardless what option you go with you are going to need the ObserverIP. Unless you can do DNS poisoning to do your redirection and then capture the traffic being sent to WeeWx. Weather Display might be an option too. I see lots of possibilities.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:03:06 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the idea of the internal server. I think I can do just with the raspberry pi, maybe no need for a metobridge or observerIP. I'm already using the Weewx with the interceptor driver, but let the ambient console to send the data to WU, ambient servers and use Weewx for everything else.

Also I was thinking about "hacking" the array signal with a SDR dongle and forget about the console, just for fun.

Yes, that is how TCP networking works. If there is no acknowledgement then there is no data to send. Even still before it can send it needs to do DNS resolution to find out what IP address to send to and if DNS doesn't resolve because there is no Internet then nothing gets sent.

What you could do is set up your own internal APRS server. Then use a Meteobridge and send to that internally. No internet required because address resolution is internal network and data is being sent inside the network only. Or you could do the same thing with an ObserverIP that is running older firmware and then you can set up WeeWx to receive Weather Underground data internally, then you can sniff that. Look up Network Redirection and setting up WeeWx with the Interceptor driver.

And I'm sure there are other possibilities, like sending to an SQL or FTP server. The thing is to think to keep it internally. But regardless what option you go with you are going to need the ObserverIP.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
You are going to need the ObserverIP unless you do DNS poisoning. Weewx with interceptor driver will stop working if there is no Internet. The ObserverIP with older firmware lets you redirect WU to internal IP.  You can't do this with the console (unless you do DNS poisoning of WU server addresses on your router or internal DNS server). You could put the console behind a second WiFi router and then do DNS poisoning on that subnet. Since you would be creating a double NAT situation in this case.

If you prefer to run ObserverIP with newer firmware for whatever reason then you'll need the Meteobridge. But the Meteobridge opens up a lot of neat options like sending to internal SQL, FTP, APRS and even let's Weather Display software work. I realize that WeeWx already does some or all of that...but WeeWx still needs a way to get data with no Internet service.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:07:45 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the help! I have my next project!  \:D/

You are going to need the ObserverIP unless you do DNS poisoning. Weewx with interceptor driver will stop working if there is no Internet. The ObserverIP with older firmware lets you redirect WU to internal IP.  You can't do this with the console (unless you do DNS poisoning of WU server addresses on your router or internal DNS server). You could put the console behind a second WiFi router and then do DNS poisoning on that subnet. Since you would be creating a double NAT situation in this case.

If you prefer to run ObserverIP with newer firmware for whatever reason then you'll need the Meteobridge. But the Meteobridge opens up a lot of neat options like sending to internal SQL, FTP, APRS and even let's Weather Display software work. I realize that WeeWx already does some or all of that...but WeeWx still needs a way to get data with no Internet service.