Author Topic: Vantage Vue fault  (Read 611 times)

Offline bertj

Vantage Vue fault
« on: February 19, 2020, 07:05:07 AM »
I have a Vantage Vue ISS approximately 8 years old - Model 6250UK, MB121127047 that will no longer communicate with the console. When pressing the white transmitter ID pushbutton the green transmitter ID LED does not illuminate and there is no response from the console.

I have replaced the 3 volt battery and cleaned the battery compartment contacts. I also took the top cover off the unit, checked for power and cleaned everything; all seems OK. I assume that there has been a failure in the transmitter itself and would be grateful for suggestions as how to proceed. I've emailed Davis but no reply so far. I'm in the UK so there's no option to send the unit to Davis for repair.

Offline Solskin

Re: Vantage Vue fault
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:49:44 PM »
At the top of the white button ( inside the casing) is a piece of bent metal ( a cap?) that is picked up by a sensor on the pcb. If this metal cap is missing or loose, it may not be “seen” by the sensor. It might be worth checking the sensor surface is clear too.
Your M revision ISS has all the electronics permenantly wired together and cannot be changed independently. Sounds to me like some component has failed  and if that’s the case, you have 2 choices. New ISS or new internal electronics kit.
Davis will only want to sell you a new ISS, I don’t believe they have any stock of the M revision kits.

Offline bertj

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 03:37:28 PM »
Thanks for that - I did check the piece of bent metal and the small magnet behind it - all seems OK. It looks like a new ISS so I'll start looking!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
Davis will only want to sell you a new ISS, I don’t believe they have any stock of the M revision kits.

There is no problem at all with the supply of M revision wiring harnesses (though you do have to be aware that there are two types depending on whether the solar panel is hardwired to the harness or not). The spares difficulty is that trade supplies of Vue ISS spares for revisions A-F are essentially exhausted.

The issue is more that the harnesses are priced relatively close to the cost of a new ISS, which is not too surprising given that the harness contains most of the sensors and circuitry. So the simplest option for many users is to opt for a complete replacement ISS, which has the added advantage (here in the UK at least) of a new 2-year warranty vs a more limited warranty on the harness as a spare part.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:06:11 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Solskin

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:37:35 AM »
I had a very difficult job trying to find the M revision sensor kit for mine and only found one supplier in the U.K. that had any, but the prices were the same as a new ISS.
All other suppliers showed them as out of stock or discontinued.
I found mine from a supplier in Holland at half U.K. prices.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 04:06:28 AM »
I had a very difficult job trying to find the M revision sensor kit for mine and only found one supplier in the U.K. that had any, but the prices were the same as a new ISS.

I don't know whether you found us or not, but we certainly have stock of the harnesses. The issue is that if you look at the Davis 2020 price-lists then the M OV harness (7345.917) lists at $235 and the 6357 Vue ISS is $245! You can see where the suggestion of it not being worth fitting a harness but just buying a new ISS comes from, for the sake of $10. Pre-M revision parts are a different matter of course.

Dealer prices are all based on the Davis list prices, but obviously subject to VAT etc in Europe. Occasionally dealers will have overstock of a part and may offer some items at a deep discount to get some return. And - naming no names - I know of at least one company in Europe that in part makes a business out of buying up old Davis dealer stock or eg eBay items very cheaply - end-user prices are attractive, but availability is hit and miss and there's typically no provenance to the parts, so you may be lucky or....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:10:24 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 04:51:26 AM »
I have a Vantage Vue ISS approximately 8 years old - Model 6250UK, MB121127047 that will no longer communicate with the console. When pressing the white transmitter ID pushbutton the green transmitter ID LED does not illuminate and there is no response from the console.

I have replaced the 3 volt battery and cleaned the battery compartment contacts. I also took the top cover off the unit, checked for power and cleaned everything; all seems OK. I assume that there has been a failure in the transmitter itself and would be grateful for suggestions as how to proceed. I've emailed Davis but no reply so far. I'm in the UK so there's no option to send the unit to Davis for repair.

go here https://weatherspares.co.uk/collections/repair-components-for-weather-stations/Davis-Instruments

give him a call , email them sure they can set you right without breaking the bank..

anything