Author Topic: unable to link W8686 to Wunderground  (Read 337 times)

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
unable to link W8686 to Wunderground
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:44:49 AM »
I have just setup my PWS Watson 8686 - Clone of HP2550 , and have setup all the  following Weather services
ecowitt.net & weathercloud are all now working fine , and being updated
BUT
Wunderground just shows as offline
I then setup another device entry and set the ID & Key and that unit is still offline

E-Witt-W8686-ETAF
ID ICHICH49 & ICHICH50

As the Ecowitt/fine-offset models are not listed , I read on a thread here to use Ambient Weather WS2000 as the model as its the same unit, which i did on ICHICH50 & I used OTHER on ICHICH49
I entered the ID & Key into the settings page, as i did with Weathercloud
Left overnight and this morning still OFFLine
I read about an API Key, BUT i have nowhere to enter that on the clone , and it looks like Wunderground have stopped the need for an API Key anyway

Any suggestions , as I say the other 2 servcies kicked in straight away (after a prompt from galfert )

Thanks
Wayne

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: unable to link W8686 to Wunderground
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:26:44 AM »
Station ID and key is all that is needed to send data.  the API key is for polling data like forecasts to your own web site.

it may take some time before your data is made available so be patient, unless you have already waited over 24hrs.

WU used to be a great site, but since IBM took over and changed the back end, the service has become erratic to say the least.  PWS weather and Weathercloud are pretty stable platforms to send too if you can. MET Office also appear to be having problems as we speak on the WoW website for Weather enthusiasts.

might be worth contacting WU. https://support.weather.com/s/email-us?language=en_US
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:41:31 AM by ConligWX »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:44:37 AM »
Thanks so much for the very quick reply
I will wait for tomorrow - see what happens

I cannot use PWS Weather, as its not support by this clone,

I thought using Wunderground was the only way to get this cheap clone HP2550 data to my iphone via Wunderground IOS app
WS Tool - works and talks the unit
Maybe WS View would too , i'll take a look

Thanks again , should be doing some DIY , but playing with the PWS , lockdown at least means i have more time to do the DIY next week :) :)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 04:54:40 AM »
as a standalone console, I guess reporting to multiple devices is limited.  not sure if the protocol used is that of a Fine Offset but if so, adding a rasbpi and say CumulusMX software to it, you maybe able to report the data to more sites. and have a local CumulusMX console to view via your phone.  just a thought. I am uncertain of what support by developers have for your cloned station however.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 05:03:45 AM »
Thanks again, that was always going to be the downside of the clone
But I can just open up a webpage on ecowitt.net and get the info on phone if needed.
And weathercloud
not going to invest any more money , on what at the moment is a passing interest/toy

The console has settings for 4 servers

Wunderground
Weathercloud
Ecowitt
WOW

of which I have setup and have working
  • Ecowitt
  • Weathercloud
  • Met Office WOW

Set up and waiting to see just
  • Wunderground

Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:55:49 AM by etaf »

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »
Thanks to all
i managed to get it to work
re-created a new device
check the settings, also the Interval changed to 5mins, I had read or was a post here about the interval time
Which i thought was setup correctly at 5 mins

PWS
Ecowitt.net: https://www.ecowitt.net/home/index?id=19826
Weathercloud: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICHICH51
WOW: https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details?site_id=feda8d77-15a3-ea11-8b71-0003ff59b0d7
Wunderground: https://app.weathercloud.net/d3476715338
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:14:44 PM by etaf »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 04:41:33 PM »
as a standalone console, I guess reporting to multiple devices is limited. 

Thanks again, that was always going to be the downside of the clone

Nonsense, there is no downside to using a Fine Offset clone to report to multiple sites. Out of the box a Fine Offset clone supports uploading to more online services than any other brand without adding 3rd party software. With 3rd party software they (all brands) are all pretty much equal.

Fine Offset clone:
- WU
- WeatherCloud
- MetOffice WOW (not for Ambient)
- Ecowitt.net (or Ambientweather.net)

plus with "Customized" server upload you can add one of these (not Ambient):
- PWSweather
- AWEKAS

plus via Ambientweather.net:
- PWSweather
- CWOP (via AmbientCWOP.com)

Davis
Depends on logger used. But keeping within the Davis brand for logger:
- WU
- Weatherlink.com

plus via Weatherlink.com:
- CWOP
- the GLOBE program

Acurite
- WU
- myAcurite.com

* Yes with 3rd party software (or 3rd party logger with Davis) the upload options become pretty much more or less equal. Because depending on some compatibilities you can run; Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, WeeWX, Acuparse and some others. Because lots of 3rd party software support many brands. But it is up to you to check compatibility and requirements.

There is no downside for Fine Offset clones in regards to data options. One of Fine Offset clones greatest strengths is all the built in upload service support plus the ability to have your data easily hence the built in "Customized" server upload feature and the GW1000 API for 3rd party software compatibility.

The "Customized" server upload is often used by individuals with script and programming skills to do their own projects. The Ambientweather.net also has an API that has been used by many individuals and projects and even by 3rd party software. The options with Fine Offset clones is anything but limited.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:09:07 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »
Thanks
its good to know
often when devices are cloned other resellers add firmware with all sorts of limitations , but as you say, not the case here

i'll look into the customise server over the coming days
but thanks for pointing out
cheers
Wayne

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
Yes not the case with Fine Offset clones as they all run the very same firmware. The exception is Ambient Weather as they do modify the firmware to make it theirs.

Ambient's firmware modifications makes sense to support their Ambientweather.net. Some other modifications by Ambient are purely to remove user options as this reduces complexity and minimizes customer service support costs. Sure I can understand removing Metoffice WOW for US market users, but as a hobbyists is a bit upsetting for them to remove "Customized" server upload functionality. But on the converse Ambientweather.net has some incredible Internet API support that the similar Ecowitt.net does not have in supporting enthusiasts and for things that the similar Ecowitt.net does not have, like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT support and more. It isn't that bad for Ambient users as they can easily add an Ecowitt GW1000 and gain these missing features, but that isn't always an obvious option to users. Ecowitt users can also add Ambientweather.net by using a Meteobridge with added Ambientweather.net licensing (or even cheaper an Ambient WeatherBridge) with their GW1000.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:08:47 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole