Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 54625 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #700 on: February 16, 2021, 09:31:40 PM »
Nebraska’s generating capacity was running at 115% capacity when the blackouts were ordered by the grid tzars. We were exporting power to keep the grid from entering a cascading failure because of unprecedented demand from usually warm areas.

‘Green Energy’ doesn’t work well when the wind doesn’t blow and the sun doesn’t shine. I’ll bet that the environmentalists still won’t get a clue. We still need coal, natural gas, and nuclear energy, the sources called upon here today. By the way, anthropogenic global warming is an untestable hypothesis by any rigorous scientific standard. It’s pure speculation.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #701 on: February 16, 2021, 09:39:46 PM »
applause

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #702 on: February 16, 2021, 09:52:08 PM »
‘Green Energy’ doesn’t work well when the wind doesn’t blow and the sun doesn’t shine. I’ll bet that the environmentalists still won’t get a clue. We still need coal, natural gas, and nuclear energy, the sources called upon here today. By the way, anthropogenic global warming is an untestable hypothesis by any rigorous scientific standard. It’s pure speculation.
Yes.  =D>

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #703 on: February 17, 2021, 08:29:05 AM »
I got up at 4am for a bathroom break and no water? Called the utility emergency number and they said due to rolling blackouts, I'm dubious. But if that's the case the bad news is the good news? Friend in San Antonio were down to 55 degrees inside due to blackouts. Rockport on the coast has been out of power for 48 hours. We had another layer of ice last night which froze my other door shut so I had to remove the storm door glass pane from the inside to step outside and get a bucket of snow/ice to melt down for flush water. We did warm to 32 overnite so it's not as bitter cold.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:30:50 AM by stevebrtx »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #704 on: February 17, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
We had another layer of ice last night which froze my other door shut so I had to remove the storm door glass pane from the inside to step outside and get a bucket of snow/ice to melt down for flush water.
When given lemons...

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #705 on: February 17, 2021, 05:47:13 PM »
It was easier in MX, when I needed flush water I just went out back to the 15,000 gal cement pond and dipped a bucket - ha.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #706 on: February 17, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »
as up 30 cents in a week here   I think 20 today.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:01:41 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline racer3

« Reply #707 on: February 18, 2021, 06:43:56 AM »
Up to $2.59 in Ocala Fl.   :-x

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #708 on: February 19, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »
$3.06 in Marble Falls today for gas but you can't buy water with a $100 bill!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #709 on: February 19, 2021, 05:29:12 PM »
you can't buy water with a $100 bill!
Got any of that snow left?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #710 on: February 19, 2021, 05:34:53 PM »
Of course hindsight is 20/20, but in all seriousness, maybe everyone should have some of these laying around.

https://www.gearhungry.com/best-water-purification-tablet/

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #711 on: February 19, 2021, 06:45:44 PM »
The powered water is going fast, we hit 40 today. I'm filling containers and if we don't get water soon I'll just go over to the lake with half a dozen buckets and dip some for flushing. My cat is on bottled water and that's what I'm watching, I'm on canned water so that's in good supply - ha.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #712 on: February 19, 2021, 07:02:30 PM »
I'm on canned water so that's in good supply - ha.
As stupid as it sounds, I never even heard of "canned" water til a guy on Pawn Stars brought in something like this from our Cold War era.

https://blog.retroplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Vintage-Naval-Supplies.jpg

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #713 on: February 20, 2021, 09:02:22 AM »
Actually, during some recent disasters Bud did put water in cans for distribution. However my canned "water" is from Busch and has a little flavor added - ha. I sent an email to a friend yesterday titled Two Question Quiz; Question #1 Can you live on the CPB (Cheetos, Pizza, Beer) diet - answer: Apparently. And Question #2 Does the CPB diet cause weight gain? Answer: Well, duh?

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #714 on: February 20, 2021, 10:30:45 AM »
The powered water is going fast, we hit 40 today. I'm filling containers and if we don't get water soon I'll just go over to the lake with half a dozen buckets and dip some for flushing. My cat is on bottled water and that's what I'm watching, I'm on canned water so that's in good supply - ha.

We did something like that every winter. Knowing we were at the end of the line, the lines were old and the water pump only worked with electricity. We started filling buckets and milk jugs with water in November. It allowed us to drink, cook and flush the toilet not knowing how long we would be with out electricity. I think the longest was 3 days.

We never got a generator. Could not afford it. At least we had heat.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #715 on: February 20, 2021, 11:12:55 AM »
I've been without water for 5 days, but just got messages from my water banditos that they were bringing it back online about now, so now we'll see if I have any problems at my end. It's been real fun. You have to wonder how tough the pioneers really were?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #716 on: February 21, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »
The pioneers were tough but  back then they knew nothing about the luxuries we have today.
So you did what you had to do to survive and didn't really think about it.
Now if we had to go back and live like the early pioneers the herd would be thinned out pretty quick.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2021, 08:49:55 PM »
2.44 tonight

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #718 on: February 22, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »
2.59 on the way home today

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #719 on: February 24, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »
On Feb 18, the price for regular unleaded in Syracuse, NY was $2.699/gal. That's up about 20% in the last 4 weeks.
I think the days of cheap gas are behind us.  :-(

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #720 on: February 26, 2021, 11:33:54 PM »
Nebraska’s generating capacity was running at 115% capacity when the blackouts were ordered by the grid tzars. We were exporting power to keep the grid from entering a cascading failure because of unprecedented demand from usually warm areas.

There was never a blackout in my part of town during the freak cold spell.  But other parts of town were subject to just one of them.  No problem with the water, either, thanks to city workers able to thaw out water pumps at the lake source 38 miles away.  It got down to at least 10 below here.

Green energy surely works out better for the summer months to help relieve peak power demands from the summer heat.  But nuclear energy needs reconsidered.  This guy once thought renewable energy was a good idea, but later concluded it's too inefficient with too many natural problems, such as rare birds dying from flying into propeller blades. He now thinks in this video that the latest in nuclear energy would be better:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yALPEpV4w&feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #721 on: February 26, 2021, 11:42:27 PM »
On Feb 18, the price for regular unleaded in Syracuse, NY was $2.699/gal. That's up about 20% in the last 4 weeks.
I think the days of cheap gas are behind us.  :-(
The cheapest place for gas in my town as of Feb 25 is at my favorite place as usual, Murphy's USA at $2.15.  If it will make you feel better, the highest place for gas in my town is at $2.47 at Phillips 66. But it's surely ethanol free. 

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #722 on: February 27, 2021, 08:50:27 AM »
Around $2.30 here in mid TX. Yes, the future is SMR small nuclear reactors which are being built now. Back in the 60's I worked for Atomics International in nuclear instrumentation and at the time they had built a number around the country, but they were huge, very complex and very expensive. This new generation are very different and should be very successful.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #723 on: February 27, 2021, 09:49:32 AM »
steve-any damage for you after the freeze?

we northerners make fun of others that do not understand the cold, but things are built different there. It was a rare event. You cant go back and retro everything for rare events. Just build for the future.

Here-we have built for a lot of different things. Cold, heat, tornado, storms. With the exception of underground electrical lines-we are in good shape.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:52:17 AM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #724 on: February 28, 2021, 08:40:40 AM »
No damage, we did well. I was worried about a big live oak that I have hanging over the shop, if I had lost a limb there it would have been a disaster. We were without water for 5 days, but it came back and no leaks and we're past the boil requirement now. I have vines around the back deck, they're probably gone and yesterday in Kingsland just to the S of me the palm trees look like toast. Overall it was a nuisance, but not a problem, a lot of people weren't as fortunate.

anything