Weather Software > Station Software Development

Writing software which ensures short term gusts are not missed

(1/3) > >>

Plainwind:
In extreme wind conditions, the duration of gusts can be very short, typically much less than 1 second.  How can software be designed to avoid missing gusts?  For example, if my software is designed to continuously monitor wind speed but also periodically do some mean and max calculations and append a record to a database, how can I write my software to be sure that during the time it's doing the calculations and database append, no short duration gusts are missed?  By the way, I'm writing my code in Python and running it on a Raspberry Pi.

davidg_nz:
What sort of weather station are you talking to? Trying to measure an anemometer directly hooked up to one of the Pis GPIO pins or receiving data from an off-the-shelf weather station?

Mattk:
Depends on your definition of what a wind gust is? This is going to be where the problem lies.

Plainwind:

--- Quote from: davidg_nz on March 03, 2021, 10:39:41 PM ---What sort of weather station are you talking to? Trying to measure an anemometer directly hooked up to one of the Pis GPIO pins or receiving data from an off-the-shelf weather station?

--- End quote ---

Thanks for replying.  To answer your question - my sensors, including the anemometer, are currently directly connected to GPIO pins.  To calculate windspeed, I'm counting the rotations using Button().

However, having given this more thought, I think I can answer my own question.  Rather than connecting the anemometer direct to the Pi, I need to incorporate a data-logger which continuously monitors the anemometer output, regardless of what processing the Pi is doing.  So, I need to do some research on data-loggers and how to put a data-logger between the sensors and the Pi.

Plainwind:
So, I'm going to look at threading in Python with a view to using the Raspberry Pi to simultaneously be both a real-time data-logger and a device for processing and analysing the raw data collected by the data-logger.  Any pointers to help on this appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version