Weather Station Hardware > Other Weather Station Hardware

Barometer settings

(1/3) > >>

skywatcher_3:
Ok. You buy a nice weather station. I go to wunderground and look at the PWS in my area. 31.34?? Mine says 29.88. Then one says 28.45? Oh my god! A hurricane is coming!! In SW mo. We do get tornadoes here.  Please set your barometers right. I have a speedtech and it works great. Always close to the NWS here in springfield mo. But now they are hard to find. So lets get them barometers set right. That would help so much.   ](*,)

weatherforyou:
There is occasional confusion over sea level, raw, etc. and how to set it all properly.  A lot of people probably don't check what's on WU (or weatherforyou.com or CWOP for that matter) as long as what's in front of them is right.  In a recent survey we found people pay attention to the temperature, then wind, then humidity... barometric pressure was down the list a ways, after the short term forecast.  Rain jumps in somewhere around wind and humidity if it's, well, raining.  :D

CookevilleWeatherGuy:

--- Quote from: weatherforyou on April 08, 2008, 08:21:06 PM ---There is occasional confusion over sea level, raw, etc. and how to set it all properly.  A lot of people probably don't check what's on WU (or weatherforyou.com or CWOP for that matter) as long as what's in front of them is right.  In a recent survey we found people pay attention to the temperature, then wind, then humidity... barometric pressure was down the list a ways, after the short term forecast.  Rain jumps in somewhere around wind and humidity if it's, well, raining.  :D

--- End quote ---

Interesting that the ol' barometer rates so low when it is one of the best indicaters of potential weather! :)

weatherforyou:

--- Quote from: CookevilleWeatherGuy on April 09, 2008, 12:05:46 AM ---
--- Quote from: weatherforyou on April 08, 2008, 08:21:06 PM ---There is occasional confusion over sea level, raw, etc. and how to set it all properly.  A lot of people probably don't check what's on WU (or weatherforyou.com or CWOP for that matter) as long as what's in front of them is right.  In a recent survey we found people pay attention to the temperature, then wind, then humidity... barometric pressure was down the list a ways, after the short term forecast.  Rain jumps in somewhere around wind and humidity if it's, well, raining.  :D

--- End quote ---

Interesting that the ol' barometer rates so low when it is one of the best indicaters of potential weather! :)

--- End quote ---
I was somewhat surprised as well.  I think barometer has fallen into the category of one of those "scientific" readings that us hardcore weather enthusiasts interpret.  People know if they're hot or cold, they know if they're uncomfortable because of the high humidity, they know why their fence just ended up down the street, they know if they don't take an umbrella they're going to get soaked.  But barometric pressure's direct impact on people is a little harder to quantify unless you're really in to this stuff.   :?

blackjack52:

--- Quote from: skywatcher_3 on April 08, 2008, 05:26:15 PM ---...Please set your barometers right. I have a speedtech and it works great. Always close to the NWS here in springfield mo. But now they are hard to find. So lets get them barometers set right. That would help so much.   ](*,)

--- End quote ---

Not ensuring accurate barometer setup is probably the reason why the barometric drift is occurring on the CWOP Quality Spread.   For the longest time I was almost dead center and now I'm almost outside the right side of the box.  And looking at the spread everything seems to be shifting to the right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version