Weather Station Hardware > The WxTech Dream Machine

The Dream Machine - Design Our Own PWS

(1/12) > >>

wxtech:
Some new private weather stations from manufacturers are coming available soon.  The designers didn't ask our opinion first, so let's make a list of the features we need in a personal weather station.  We can compile the ideas into a realistic list of features.  Should options of cheap plastic console vs wood and glass cabinet be offered?
I'll start with the idea of 'make it modular', so we can pick the options we wish to pay for and add more features later.
It should be wireless communications from the outside sensors to the console or computer interface.
The outside sensors should be solar powered and the back up battery should be recharged by the solar panel.
The wind sensor anemometer and wind vane should be remote from the other outside sensors so that the winds can be measured higher on a mast.
The temperature and humidity sensors should normally be fan aspirated with the option of no fan.
The computer interface (datalogger) should be included in the base price with options of USB, serial, or Ethernet.
The communications protocol should be compatible with 1 of: VWS, Cumulus, Weather Display, Heavy Weather, or others (don't create something new).
The console or computer interface should be battery and AC powered.
An optional snow detector and snow depth sensor should be available.
Heaters should be optional for the rain gauge, anemometer, and direction vane.
The system should be capable of networking, i.e. connect more than one temp sensor, rain gauge, or several wind sensors, at more locations similar to the 1-wire concept.
Tell us about your dream wx machine.
Al

SlowModem:

--- Quote from: wxtech on October 12, 2011, 11:50:34 AM ---Tell us about your dream wx machine.
--- End quote ---

I agree with what you've started with.  I would add that maybe the sensors/transmitters be separate like the WMR968 to add flexibility in positioning.

I would also add that the unit needs quick frequent updating or polling of the sensors.

I would also add that the rain gauge needs to measure 0.01 inch increments.

The console needs to have a datalogger made into it.  Then you could order a serial or usb console and not have to pay extra for a datalogger.

I rarely look at the console, but some might like a color display.

wxtech:
Quick polling definitely.  How often should the 'rapid fire' update?  2.5 seconds like VP2 or every second?
Polling the anemometer & vane needs to be fast.  The console should have separate wind speed and wind gust indications.  
I saw some new security system recently where the USB cable from a computer was used to program the device console.  Then the cable was disconnected and the console operated without all the buttons and controls.  There are buttons on the VP2 console that are rarely used.
I think the serial option can be dropped because new computer don't have the legacy serial port.

xykotik:
How about a programmable output interface with dry relay contacts for alarm events to control things like pipe-heaters, sprinklers, awning motors, skylights.

Software-wise, integrate camera and include sms or email notifications.  They'll sell a million units if there is an iPhone app/service directly fed from the station.  Don't forget a built-in template editor, designed for weathertags, etc.

Standalone (computerless) interface, configurable remotely through a browser.

wxtech:
All excellent ideas! :grin: Make it easy to use.
Make it easily repairable.  Make the sensors with quick change modules so that anyone can change subassemblies for a quick and cheap repair.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version