Author Topic: Weather Link Live Desktop GUI  (Read 7742 times)

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
Re: Weather Link Live Desktop GUI
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
I'll try attaching a zip of the logs. Hopefully Davis will get back with me today regarding updating firmware.

Steve [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Yea, this log shows me that your WLL is sending data that is invalid per the URL spec.  Headers are supposed to end with a \r\n\r\n 
Your WLL is sending \n\n at the end of the headers - which is why my library isn't removing them, and also why my attempted fix failed, because I was looking for \r\n\r\n
If you aren't annoyed with trying yet, I can tweak my attempt at fixing their data... a lot harder for me to validate my fix when I can't reproduce the problem locally :)

Offline tom899

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2021, 11:41:35 AM »
My firmware is also July 30 2020

Can you send me your log?  you might have a different issue.
Sure, I’m not home right now,  it will as soon as I can
Thanks
-Tom

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »
I'll try attaching a zip of the logs. Hopefully Davis will get back with me today regarding updating firmware.

Steve [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Yea, this log shows me that your WLL is sending data that is invalid per the URL spec.  Headers are supposed to end with a \r\n\r\n 
Your WLL is sending \n\n at the end of the headers - which is why my library isn't removing them, and also why my attempted fix failed, because I was looking for \r\n\r\n
If you aren't annoyed with trying yet, I can tweak my attempt at fixing their data... a lot harder for me to validate my fix when I can't reproduce the problem locally :)

Not annoyed at all. Be happy to test whatever you need me to.

Steve

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2021, 12:48:08 PM »
Allright, yet another attempt to handle the mistakes in the data format that WLL is sending...

https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/releases/tag/1.11

Offline Rickoo

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2021, 01:33:53 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what makes this so different than the Davis WLL GUI?

Offline tom899

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2021, 02:11:03 PM »
My firmware is also July 30 2020

Can you send me your log?  you might have a different issue.

Sure, I updated to your latest 1.11
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2021, 02:15:51 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what makes this so different than the Davis WLL GUI?

Are you talking about the weatherlink website?  The weather link live doesn't have a davis supported GUI, to my knowledge, other than the website.

This uses the same APIs that the Android / iPhone apps use to display your LIVE data from your system.  You get 2.5 second updates on wind, temp, rain, etc, and you get 10 second updates on everything else. 
You can run it on your desktop computer.  It also stores all that data, though, at the moment, I haven't developed anything that uses the historical data.  But it would be trivial for me (or someone else) to add code to dump data to a spreadsheet, for example.

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »

Can you delete all the files from the folder where you found the log file, and launch again?  It looks like your DB still has the wrong table definition from my regression earlier.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »
Allright, yet another attempt to handle the mistakes in the data format that WLL is sending...

https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/releases/tag/1.11

Still no go. And I start with empty directories each run. Here's the log files zipped.

Steve

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2021, 02:50:09 PM »
well, that is disappointing... my hack code to try to fix their stream is still not working.  I'm not sure why though, at the moment... as the log says it contains the exact pattern I'm looking for.

More confusing, is I believe you said you had the same firmware as I do, so I don't understand why you see this but I don't.  I wonder if Davis doesn't report the version of the lower-level stuff they rely on for basic networking... and they shipped some units with a buggy network stack...

Let me see if I can put together a test case that matches what I got from your log file.

Offline tom899

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »

Can you delete all the files from the folder where you found the log file, and launch again?  It looks like your DB still has the wrong table definition from my regression earlier.
Actually I did delete all 4 files before this run
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2021, 03:23:46 PM »

Ahh, on a closer look of your log, it appears that you have an old version of the jar file somewhere.  If it was 1.11, it would have logged 1.11 in the log file - but it didn't.  So you must be launching an older version.

You will have to find and remove the old jar file... make sure you have the 1.11 jar file, and also delete the data file again, so 1.11 can start up clean and build a new DB.

Offline tom899

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »

Ahh, on a closer look of your log, it appears that you have an old version of the jar file somewhere.  If it was 1.11, it would have logged 1.11 in the log file - but it didn't.  So you must be launching an older version.

You will have to find and remove the old jar file... make sure you have the 1.11 jar file, and also delete the data file again, so 1.11 can start up clean and build a new DB.
Ok, sorry, I e been saving in the same folder and it’s been asking me if I want to overwrite and I say yes. I will start from scratch, and will delete the 4 files too.
-Tom

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »
well, that is disappointing... my hack code to try to fix their stream is still not working.  I'm not sure why though, at the moment... as the log says it contains the exact pattern I'm looking for.

More confusing, is I believe you said you had the same firmware as I do, so I don't understand why you see this but I don't.  I wonder if Davis doesn't report the version of the lower-level stuff they rely on for basic networking... and they shipped some units with a buggy network stack...

Let me see if I can put together a test case that matches what I got from your log file.
It's tom899 that has the same firmware version as you. Mine is old at Apr 4, 2019. I've got a note into Davis trying to get an update.

Steve

Offline tom899

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2021, 03:48:29 PM »

It's working! But, I have extra sensors, so it's mixed up.
I don't want it to show extra sensors. It/s showing my garage temp, but it's not 70 it's in the 50's.
Thanks, we are getting there!
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »
Because of the way your sensors are set up, you can either have wind, or all the others.... but not both, at the moment.  See the link to the readme a few posts back, about how to toggle that. 
The two that are labeled "garage" are the sensors built into the WLL itself, those will always show at the moment. 

Its more than a trivial change for me to make these things customizable enough to support your use case the way a proper GUI should... I might pick away at it next week, depending on how much extra time I have.
If you wanted to hard code your own copy of the program to remove the garage sensors, and display your wind + temps, it wouldn't be too difficult as a one-off.  But you would have to be comfortable tweaking java code, and being able to build it. 

Essentially, most places where you see 'sensorOutdoor' would need to be hard coded to the right ID for your config:
https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/blob/develop/src/main/java/net/sagebits/weatherlink/gui/WeatherLinkLiveGUIController.java

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2021, 04:14:26 PM »

It's tom899 that has the same firmware version as you. Mine is old at Apr 4, 2019. I've got a note into Davis trying to get an update.

Steve

I think I figured out why my hack-fix isn't working.  I'll spin one more build.

Offline tom899

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2021, 04:16:12 PM »
Because of the way your sensors are set up, you can either have wind, or all the others.... but not both, at the moment.  See the link to the readme a few posts back, about how to toggle that. 
The two that are labeled "garage" are the sensors built into the WLL itself, those will always show at the moment. 

Its more than a trivial change for me to make these things customizable enough to support your use case the way a proper GUI should... I might pick away at it next week, depending on how much extra time I have.
If you wanted to hard code your own copy of the program to remove the garage sensors, and display your wind + temps, it wouldn't be too difficult as a one-off.  But you would have to be comfortable tweaking java code, and being able to build it. 

Essentially, most places where you see 'sensorOutdoor' would need to be hard coded to the right ID for your config:
https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/blob/develop/src/main/java/net/sagebits/weatherlink/gui/WeatherLinkLiveGUIController.java
Ok, thanks, appreciate you getting it working! I’ll take a look at the read email file
-Tom

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »
One more release, to hopefully address the issue Steve see:

https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/releases/tag/1.12

3rd times the charm?

If this doesn't work... hopefully Davis can update your firmware. 

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2021, 04:31:48 PM »
One more release, to hopefully address the issue Steve see:

https://github.com/darmbrust/weatherlink/releases/tag/1.12

3rd times the charm?

If this doesn't work... hopefully Davis can update your firmware.
YES!! I got some output...at least partially. I'm not seeing any barometric pressure or rain-related charts. But, we're making progress.

Steve

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2021, 04:55:59 PM »
Thats... weird.  I must be taking another error while constructing the GUI.  There must be something else different about the data the old firmware is sending that I didn't expect....

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2021, 05:06:07 PM »
I do have some issues where the very first run sometimes goofs up, because there isn't any data in the DB yet.  If you restart it, it might fix itself, now that you have data.

That, or another bug from the old firmware, I could probably work around with another log dump, or, you are also finding new issues, because it appears you have a second ISS with soil temp sensors reporting in... which my GUI just doesn't cope with well yet... handling multiple ISS reports was low on my list when I wrote it, since I only have one :)

I need to make the GUI customizable, where you can assign a label to each sensor ID, and then populate the screen with the gui widgets you want, tied to the sensor you select.

The initial goal of the tool was A) to see if I could get the UDP data properly, and B) make some nice looking gauges in java. 
After I got done with those... well, other things get in the way :)

Offline tom899

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2021, 05:51:11 AM »

Actually, I have a total of five sensors (including the primary VP2 ISS outside).
Only interested in the normal outside VP2 ISS Temp/Humid, rain, wind on (on ID 1). The wind is coming from Anemometer on ID8 , and Barometer internal to WLL.
Your GUI is showing my correct WLL indoor temp/Hum, but lists it as Garage.
I'm not asking for you to work on this, I know it's a lot of work. This is just to show what is happening in case you can use this information.
Here are my sensors.
ID 1 - Outside - Vantage Pro2 ISS
Weather Station  [Primary]
ID 2 - HVAC Room - Lower Level
Transmitter
ID 3 - Home Theater Room - Lower Level
Transmitter
ID 4 - Garage
Transmitter
ID 8 - Anemometer - RoofTop
Transmitter
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:10:07 AM by tom899 »
-Tom

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2021, 01:48:05 PM »
I received a firmware update to my WeatherLink Live this morning to the July 30, 2020 version. Unfortunately, the GUI still shows only the same limited data as it did prior to upgrading the firmware.

Steve

Offline darmbrust

• Weather Link GUI
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
thats odd to me - especially since the GUI build is failing when it gets to the sensors that are part of the WLL, so I wouldn't expect to have issues identifying those.

You can send me logs, there is probably an ERROR in them.