Miscellaneous Debris > Tech Corner

DIY wireless digital rain gauge.

<< < (5/5)

sam2004gp:

--- Quote from: DanS on February 18, 2012, 04:06:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: sam2004gp on January 08, 2010, 08:21:05 PM ---I use a modified wireless doorbell as an announcer that my very quite sump-pump under the house is running.  They do serve many good purposes.

--- End quote ---

I found another good use for them today. I wired a motion activated flood light behind my father-in-law's house and connected the wireless doorbell button/transmitter end to it. The ringer is inside so he knows when the light is activated/tripped.

--- End quote ---

Awesome  :grin:

kray1000:

--- Quote from: DanS on February 18, 2012, 04:06:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: sam2004gp on January 08, 2010, 08:21:05 PM ---I use a modified wireless doorbell as an announcer that my very quite sump-pump under the house is running.  They do serve many good purposes.

--- End quote ---

I found another good use for them today. I wired a motion activated flood light behind my father-in-law's house and connected the wireless doorbell button/transmitter end to it. The ringer is inside so he knows when the light is activated/tripped.

--- End quote ---

I need something like that for my mailbox.

SomeCallMeTim:
Dan,

What sort of plastic bottle/container did you use? That red lid-turned-base looks almost custom designed for your adaptation! I assume you had to drill those nice drain holes?

I'm sure the identical type isn't available in the states, but it might suggest likely places to look for something similar.

I've been tinkering with adapting a sensitive postal scale's guts for a weighing precipitation gauge inspired by the lovely Vaisala VRG101, but the temperature compensation issue makes it a mess using cheap HW. Maybe enclosing the whole electronics/strain gauge assembly in a temp controlled styrofoam oven will work better. I just need a fit of energy to tackle it...

DanS:
Hi Tim. That's a common container over here. Mostly used for rice storage, powdered laundry soap, etc. I cut the bottom of the container out to fit in an eight inch funnel.  They're in most department, 5 and 10 type, stores around here. :-)

Greg_M:
Very creative!
I like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version