Author Topic: Please help with software hardware choices  (Read 3057 times)

Offline kg4ooz

Please help with software hardware choices
« on: March 11, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »
I am looking to change up my weather station setup somewhat and hopefully expand my capabilities.

I am currently running Weather Display on windows 10 PC with my Vantage Pro2 station.  It uploads to Wunderground and a few other sites but here lately I have been having problems with my PC staying stable.  Weather Display doesn't seem to handle random PC crashes very well and I have had to repair it several times here lately.  And am also looking to host a very simple website from my home.

I would like to change to something possible Raspberry Pi based or really open to suggestions.  My big requirements are that I want to locally store my data and preferably have a local interface that I can view my weather data and maybe some basic graphs.  Would also like to be able to host a basic webpage from the device, nothing very fancy at all.  I do have some decent computer knowledge but not very well versed in software programming and web design.

Please let me know what your thoughts would be and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I have loaded MeteoBridge on a Rpi 3B+ and have been tinkering with it some but not sold on it just yet.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Please help with software hardware choices
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »
I have CumulusMX on a couple Pies. They work fantastic and rock solid. You can pretty much do what ever you want with data from there. Do your own site local, push it to a server.......use nice templates on the other end.

I view the local data on the Cumulus interface. The setup pages on the interface have easy configuration areas to send data to WU etc. You can access graphs and reports.

I am not versed in doing public web page from my Pi. I send data from Meteobridge to template on site where I have service subscription.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 01:53:52 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 02:38:11 PM »
I stumbled across the CululusMX just after posting that and am debating on loading it onto a SD card this afternoon and giving it a look also.  It seems like it might be more like what I need.

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 11:30:10 AM »
I would like to change to something possible Raspberry Pi based or really open to suggestions.  My big requirements are that I want to locally store my data and preferably have a local interface that I can view my weather data and maybe some basic graphs.  Would also like to be able to host a basic webpage from the device, nothing very fancy at all.  I do have some decent computer knowledge but not very well versed in software programming and web design.

Weewx is specifically targeted to these requirements and the VP2 is its most supported station.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 05:48:47 PM »
CumulusMX should cater for your needs, it also has a raspberry pi image too.

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Software#Raspberry_Pi_Image
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 09:27:09 PM »
I am currently tinkering with CumulusMx but I can not get it to read the serial data logger on my VP2.  I am debating on getting a weather link live.  I wish they made a wired ethernet version on the wifi logger.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 09:47:29 PM »
Have you set as Serial in the Station setting, Davis Connection?
After you've started CumulusMX check the latest file in MXdiags folder.  W[size=78%]hat does it say?[/size]

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 09:58:37 PM »
I will look into that file and see next time I try to get it working.  I am not entirely sure my usb to serial adapters is good or compatible either.  Hard to determine which ones work well with the pi.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 10:44:31 PM »
And just a reminder, you need to use the correct Com port for the serial logger in CumulusMX settings.

Enjoy,
Pul

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »
Thanks.  I believe I am setting it up properly but my Linux isn't the best.  I know IP and networking better.  That is why I am thinking on giving the weather link live a shot before I pull my hair out.  But to be honest I only have time to tinker with it about an hour at a time, so takes a long time to get new things going.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 12:37:19 AM »

I've had WeatherLink Live since setting up my VP2 Plus system 9 months ago. I love it. Since it is operating system independent, you should have no difficulty. After receiving mine via UPS, I had it set up and running with my router in less than 15 minutes. The browser app is excellent and I absolutely love the Android phone app on my Pixel 3XL.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 02:07:35 AM »
I am currently tinkering with CumulusMx but I can not get it to read the serial data logger on my VP2.  I am debating on getting a weather link live.  I wish they made a wired ethernet version on the wifi logger.

The prototype is working smooth as silk for upload to WL.com and being polled by software. Works with WeeWx, Weather Display, WeatherLink 6.0.5.......

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40966.0

I also run MeteoPi into CumulusMX:

http://www.morewoodweather.ca/CumulusMX/gauges.htm

That link is fed by a PiZeroW into WiFi. But you can use a full size and get wired. I have the host for my site but you can do web server on the Pi if you want. Templates abound so no need for a lot of web construction.

anything