Weather Station Hardware > Blitzortung

Data Center Destroyed... takes out LMO

(1/3) > >>

Cutty Sark Sailor:
A fire early today (March 10) has destroyed one of OVHcloud’s Strasbourg data centres and part of a second one, the French cloud provider’s CEO, Octave Klaba, wrote in a tweet. He confirmed that all the people working at the site were safe.
OVHcloud is the biggest European-based cloud services provider, competing against U.S. giants Amazon Web Services, Microsoft’s Azure and Google Cloud, which dominate the market.
https://www.systemtek.co.uk/2021/03/fire-has-destroyed-ovhs-strasbourg-data-centre-sbg2/

Major issues with our adjunct, lightningmaps.org.
Info is LMO will be offline for several days.

BT servers seem ok at this Posting time.

Mike

W0BTU:
It's good to know what the reason was. Thanks.

vreihen:
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W0BTU:
As I mentioned a day or so ago on the BT forum,  they apparently did not have a working Halon gas fire extinguishing system, as many do. Unless Halon is banned there, IMHO that shows their incompetence. No wonder that Tobi was going to move from there.

That fire was all over many different news media outlets. It affected over a million websites !

vreihen:
OVH has a poor reputation in network security circles for not spending money on controlling hackers/spammers on their services.  Although I wouldn't put it past the EU to ban Halon and equivalents, I have zero doubt that OVH would NOT have spent the money for fire suppression even if it was an option.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version