Author Topic: Vantage Vue Not Registering Rainfall  (Read 7310 times)

Offline JaredC15

• Jack County Weather
Vantage Vue Not Registering Rainfall
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:09:57 AM »
This problem started tonight. A Line of thunderstorms moved in and my Vue has not registered any rainfall. The Vantage Vue has been outside since August 2011 and has not had any significant problems. This is the first major problem I have came across. Tomorrow I am gonna go and inspect to see if any thing has maybe jammed the bucket or if its plugged up with trash.

Is there any problems related to the rainfall sensors going out? Anything I should look for?

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
A twig could do it
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »
Mine is a Pro 2, but my issue could apply to you. A flying or falling twig had found a way to seat itself down through the small opening so that it jammed the teeter totter from moving. I subsequently replaced the nearly useless small plastic screen provided on my generation with an aftermarket sink screen widely advocated here. I have had no such subsequent trouble.

My twig was visible from the top, but I could imagine something could make its way all the way inside and block movement without being visible. If you don't see something from the top, I suggest taking the cover off for a closer look, just in case you have that particular problem.

Offline txweathergeek

• TXweathergeek
    • The Weather Geek
Re: Vantage Vue Not Registering Rainfall
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
I'm having the same issue this morning. Heavy storms over night and not a drop registered by the Vue. I was hoping it was something software related because the until is up on my roof.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »
If everything else is reporting, I'd go with crud in the rain funnel.  It is back up on roof for you.
That is why am against putting things up on the roof that might need service.   The correct place to put that thing is 5 feet above the ground if you want to set it correctly.

http://www.home-weather-stations-guide.com/weather-station-set-up.html

Offline txweathergeek

• TXweathergeek
    • The Weather Geek
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
If everything else is reporting, I'd go with crud in the rain funnel.  It is back up on roof for you.
That is why am against putting things up on the roof that might need service.   The correct place to put that thing is 5 feet above the ground if you want to set it correctly.

I'd love to, but I'm in a residential area surrounded homes and trees. Up was about the only way to go to get anywhere near accurate wind readings. 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »

I'd love to, but I'm in a residential area surrounded homes and trees. Up was about the only way to go to get anywhere near accurate wind readings.
  Then be careful,when you go up on the rooftop  (some how I have now that santa song  in my head  :(

Offline JaredC15

• Jack County Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
Well I took the Vue down today. And a spider cobweb was near the top end of the rain bucket near where it connects to the sensor. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but the tipping bucket seems to work properly when I tested it under the faucet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:44:00 AM by JaredC15 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:43:27 AM »
There is a ($210) work around for those with the Vue.  This gets the Vue temperature, rain bucket down at ground level for better accuracy and easier maintenance. The Wireless anemometer does work with the Vue console. Go with small wind cups selected with this setup using Vue console.   

Davis 6332 – Wireless Anemometer Transmitter Kit – $135.00  ($105.00 )
Davis 6410 – Anemometer for Vantage Pro2 & Vantage Pro – $135.00  ($105.00)
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/discount-price-list/
Randy

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »
You should know that you can't just put them up and forget them....REGULAR checking/cleaning IS required for any rain collector.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline txweathergeek

• TXweathergeek
    • The Weather Geek
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
You should know that you can't just put them up and forget them....REGULAR checking/cleaning IS required for any rain collector.

This one has been up for 3 weeks. I can get up to it, it's just a pain in the you know what. Let me ask you guys this. I have a place where I can set it about 7 feet off the ground but when I tested it the wind readings were just not correct. Can they adjusted using an offset in Weather Display?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
Hi,
the problem is that you can have some offset only for parameters with constant offset - i.e. pressure etc. You cannot just have some arbitrary coefficient multiplier for the wind. Or to make myself a bit more precise - you can, there is an equation which converts windspeed to 10m above ground from any other height, but that assumes the anemometer is unobstructed, so for example if you had it on an opened field in a 2m height, then you can use this equation to convert to 10m equivalent. But I assume the reasons your readings were incorrect at the lower height was because it was obstructed by some things around it, in which case you cannot offset it.

You will be better off placing it higher above the ground, the rain gauge will be much more accurate at higher height than anemometer at lower height - but it just illustrates the advantage of stations with separate sensors :)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
This problem started tonight. A Line of thunderstorms moved in and my Vue has not registered any rainfall. The Vantage Vue has been outside since August 2011 and has not had any significant problems. This is the first major problem I have came across. Tomorrow I am gonna go and inspect to see if any thing has maybe jammed the bucket or if its plugged up with trash.

Is there any problems related to the rainfall sensors going out? Anything I should look for?
I can't believe you got 4 years out of it BEFORE it plugged.

Offline JaredC15

• Jack County Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »

I can't believe you got 4 years out of it BEFORE it plugged.

It is working now. There really wasn't any trash in it at all! I think a spider cobweb was causing the rain bucket not to communicate with the ISS.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
When cleaning the Vue rain tipping spoon I'd recommend taking it out and running water under the tap through the bottom as well as the top.

I had a customers unit in a while ago without the little debris filter in and so much leaf mulch had entered the rain bucket that the area under the spoon wasn't allowing water through.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »

Then be careful,when you go up on the rooftop  (some how I have now that santa song  in my head  :(

me too.  My Vue has worked very well up higher.  Getting on roof a risk to life and limb.

Offline Florida Man

• KesterGroves
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »
  Okay,

Just wanted to say Thanks for this old post.   I noted my Davis Vantage Pro 2 had stop recording rainfall today and just as suggested in the replies to your post when I opened the spoon device there was a spider web holding the spoon up not allowing it to tip and record the rain fall.     My wife a mechanical engineer said that spider webs are stronger when compared to steel wire at the same weight, LOL

Just a quick clean up with a brush to remove the two now homeless spiders and their cleverly designed web and my Davis Vantage Pro 2 back up and running.

Florida Man

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 12:57:17 PM »
Just in time for deluge coming your way. [tup]
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Red

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 08:51:52 AM »
My fix: Clean the dirty contacts on the circuit board. I've had my Vantage Vue ISS for 11 years. It stopped transmitting wind speed a couple of months ago and recently stopped sending rainfall. The cup was clean and operated normally. Taking out the battery, I saw that the 4 contacts were coated with "crud". Although they could probably be cleaned from the battery compartment, for convenience of access, I opened the unit, took the cover off the circuit board, and removed it. After careful cleaning with the round side (not tip) of a toothpick and isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), the contacts were now a shiny gold color. And all measurements were now being transmitted.