Author Topic: AS3595 not Detecting Strikes  (Read 37185 times)

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
Re: AS3595 not Detecting Strikes
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
Hi Jet, thats exactly what I want to do, run it as standalone device and hoping there have been others that are doing this, have some sort of software to display the info and also provide data to the PC to use on a website. Granted it doesn't have direction, but at least shows lightning is within a watched window of view and even have it alert. There has to be others that have made or done up projects on the IC/PCB unit by know..   Where can I find out more on this "Striker" software and is there anyone on the board doing this?  Thanks for the info  :)

Offline Jet

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
Hi Jet, thats exactly what I want to do, run it as standalone device and hoping there have been others that are doing this, have some sort of software to display the info and also provide data to the PC to use on a website. Granted it doesn't have direction, but at least shows lightning is within a watched window of view and even have it alert. There has to be others that have made or done up projects on the IC/PCB unit by know..
I.E. Something like the attached image.  It has everything minus the remote web logging.  If you wanted to do the remote web logging, you'd want to add a ATmega2560 and a wifi shield.  You could also use a Raspberry Pi instead.

Where can I find out more on this "Striker" software and is there anyone on the board doing this?  Thanks for the info  :)
You can search google for "striker AS3935" and it's the top link.
Station 1046: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »
Yup,that's what I'm talking about  :grin: that looks like another pcb with the chip installed on it. But that's that the idea thou and using the embedded pcb I have to read the data from it to the display with come circuitry. I'll check into that, looks cool. Thanks Frank

Offline Jet

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
Here's a photo of the Low Noise Electrically Isolated AS3935 lightning detector I've designed / built specifically for the Red.

I've got 3 in total + the prototype.  1 is for me and 1 is earmarked for another forum member.  I have 2 left over, a Purple one, plus the prototype (electrically the same, just doesn't look as good). 

PM me if you're having AS3935 detection issues and wish to try this alternate design out or want to remotely mount the AS3935 away from the controller.  Design schematic can be found earlier in this thread if you wish to build one yourself.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »
Wow Jet, they look great. Some very nice looking workmanship.  =D>
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Jet

« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »
I've found an undocumented register 0x33 for the AS3935 and is referenced in this code in AMS's demo code:

Code: [Select]
            if(_RB15 == 0)                      // Debouncing switch
            {
                as3935ModifyRegister(0x33, 0x01, 0x01, NULL);       // Short Antenna

Anybody seen this and have some information on when the Antenna needs to be shorted and why?

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »
Hi Jet, thats exactly what I want to do, run it as standalone device and hoping there have been others that are doing this, have some sort of software to display the info and also provide data to the PC to use on a website. Granted it doesn't have direction, but at least shows lightning is within a watched window of view and even have it alert. There has to be others that have made or done up projects on the IC/PCB unit by know..
I.E. Something like the attached image.  It has everything minus the remote web logging.  If you wanted to do the remote web logging, you'd want to add a ATmega2560 and a wifi shield.  You could also use a Raspberry Pi instead.

Where can I find out more on this "Striker" software and is there anyone on the board doing this?  Thanks for the info  :)
You can search google for "striker AS3935" and it's the top link.

I would love to get one of those stand alone units, then I could add a Raspberry Pi to it   :-)

Offline Jet

« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2014, 03:28:49 AM »
I would love to get one of those stand alone units, then I could add a Raspberry Pi to it   :-)

That stand alone unit won't help you.  It's standalone, not designed to hookup to anything else.  If you want to log to a web server, you'll need more program space / ram, which means the same design but with a atmega 2560 instead of a atmega 328p and a wifi shield, that would give you wifi to log to a webserver.

The other option (and easier and likely cheaper for you) is you connect your existing embedded AS3935 board to a Raspberry PI and the PI can be your web server, and you can add an HDMI or composite monitor / screen for visual output and USB keyboard for control.  As someone else has already written the software for you and detailed the wiring, it'll be your easiest option.

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »
Hi Jet, got it. I wasn't thinking and with everything I have been reading on the net, for some reason I was thinking this one had connections to another board for sending the data out. I was going by this >""It has everything minus the remote web logging.  If you wanted to do the remote web logging, you'd want to add a ATmega2560 and a wifi shield.  You could also use a Raspberry Pi instead.""<  #-o  Yet, I still like this unit as its small and has a nice size display. I'm reading up on this Raspberry Pi stuff now and found some nice, and not to expensive units out here and a attachment display board with 7 inch display as well. Could be an interesting project, but some learning to do. Thank you   :-)

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
hi everybody

I just connected the AS3595 sensor, and it seems to be working

I am not very good when it comes to scripts could somebody please help me on how I get the data from this little device
onto my webpage my dyslexia is getting the better of me I really appreciate any help

H field and the E field plus AS3595 sensor
station number 1297   Cheddleton Nr.Leek uk
www.weather-above.com

Thank you
mick
weather-above weather station consists of a  1 wire system ,sky ir cloud temperature ,UV,solar home made modules , live data seismic instrument there is  lot of information on modified sensors,  and 1wire projects pleased  sign my guestbook

Mmichael Parry-Thomas
http://www.weather-above.com/wxgraphic/wxgraphic.php

Offline mischmerz

• My Blog Site
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »
I know .. somewhat late. I just wanted to write that I went through the same problems with reliability issues. However - I hooked the AS3595 to an ESP8266 and most libraries don support that. I modified a SparkFun lib, but had either plenty of Lightning reports even without any thunderstorm, or none with a heavy storm above.

I finally traced my problem to the proximity of the AS3595 to the ESP chip. With a clearance of about 2 inches between both, I have very few disturbers (2 or 3 per minute) . A spark from a lighter reports a disturber, using the lightning simulator (Playing With Fusion) reports a strike.

Now waiting for a real life storm.

All the posts in this thread helped me to find the problem. Thank you.

Michaela

Offline amino1958

« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2021, 02:29:06 PM »
I know .. somewhat late. I just wanted to write that I went through the same problems with reliability issues. However - I hooked the AS3595 to an ESP8266 and most libraries don support that. I modified a SparkFun lib, but had either plenty of Lightning reports even without any thunderstorm, or none with a heavy storm above.

I finally traced my problem to the proximity of the AS3595 to the ESP chip. With a clearance of about 2 inches between both, I have very few disturbers (2 or 3 per minute) . A spark from a lighter reports a disturber, using the lightning simulator (Playing With Fusion) reports a strike.

Now waiting for a real life storm.

All the posts in this thread helped me to find the problem. Thank you.

Michaela

Hi... I'm a year later than you  :grin: and have just started working with this chip.
Can you please tell me what register settings you used? The default settings don't seem to work very well and rather than waste time trying various combinations it would be great if you could share you info.
Thanks!

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »
PLEASE NOTE FYI 
:D
No offense intended for anyone,... just to emphasize that this device is NOT part of, or related to the Blitzortung project,  other than the deprecated,obsolete experiment using System Red design and distribution, prior to 2016.

And it may be that another round of discussion may be beginning which could confuse the 'association'  issue.The AS3935 was only used as 'experimental' adjunct to the no longer produced Blitzortung System RED family of controllers.

As far as discussion, the Blitzortung board here may not be the appropriate place for general discussion of this module, other than the original application with the old System Red controllers. ;)

It is NOT supported by Blitzortung, created NO data used  by Blitzortong, and served NO FUNCTION with any Blitzortung systems, other than a curiosity for operators. MOST were abandoned by Blitzortung operators, and very few operators achieved any type of useful 'localized' data.

It only remains in the RED firmware to support the few RED system operators utilizing it.
It has not been included or referenced in ANY Blitzortung system designed and/or released since 2015. Only the older Red systems.

It is NOT included in any current (BLUE) system compatibility, or firmware,.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:56:19 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything