Author Topic: Suggestion for Weather Stations  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Pickers

Suggestion for Weather Stations
« on: November 23, 2022, 02:32:14 PM »
I am looking to buy my husband a new weather station for Christmas. I had bought him  I think a Aercus Instruments WS1093 Touchscreen Weather Station many years ago which has pretty much died the death (wind doesnt work), i think it was around £150 at that time. It seems to be a minefield now with many looking the same but rebadged . Are there any makes I should look at, It sounds like Davis are very good but probably too expensive and they have horrible displays. He would like one with a nice display (good quality) for our kitchen wall. Can anyone recommend any reasonable good ones, I really cant afford nore than £200-£300. Are Ecowitt any good? Also do the ones like Wittboy do the same as the more traditional weather stations?

Thanks and apologies if I asking questions that have been asked previously. It quite hard to find any recommendations

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: Suggestion for Weather Stations
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
If he likes a nice display console, the Ecowitt HP2551 or HP2553 are hard to beat in my opinion. I have had the US branded version of the HP2551 (Ambient Weather WS2000) for about a year and a half now. I have been very pleased with it and love the display.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Pickers

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 03:19:00 PM »
thank you that's a start

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 03:55:10 PM »
One other nice thing about the Ecowitt models I mentioned is that it is very easy and relatively inexpensive to add additional sensors (extra temp/humidity sensors, lightning detector, etc.). These might be opportunities for future gifts.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 03:58:05 PM by alanb »

Offline Pickers

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 04:44:35 PM »
I like the sound of that thinking of the HP2561, is there anything else I need to get straight away

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 06:30:49 PM »
I like the sound of that thinking of the HP2561, is there anything else I need to get straight away
I assume you meant HP2551. You shouldn't need much of anything else, maybe a couple of Energizer Lithium AA batteries for the outdoor array. It is a complete system with console including Wi-Fi for publishing to Weather Underground and Ecowitt, sensors for rain, wind, solar radiation and UV, barometer, indoor and outdoor temp/humidity. Depending on how your current system is installed and mounted, you may need to reconfigure or replace the mounting system. Make sure you order the system with the correct frequency for your location.

EDIT: Maybe you did mean HP2561? I see that is a model that includes a newer console that has the barometer, indoor temp/humidity sensors integrated into the console instead of in a separate unit. Personally, I prefer the older design of the HP2551 console where the indoor sensors are separate from the console. For me the location of the console isn't necessarily the best location for the sensors. Also if the sensors are external to the console and fail, it is fairly inexpensive to replace them, but replacing the console is expensive. ... But that is a decision you will need to make for yourself.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:13:59 PM by alanb »

Offline Pickers

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 05:25:29 AM »
Very good point re the console. I think there are other improvements as well with this console but I'll have another read of the post that had the details of them both

Offline Pickers

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 05:26:59 AM »
Just out of interest are there any other makes you would recommend, iare Bresser any good.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:42:40 AM by Pickers »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »
I can't comment on other stations mentioned here because I only have a Davis.
Remember, this station is going to be outside 24/7/365 exposed to all the elements. Davis stations are know for their quality and longevity. That's what your paying for. I don't know how long your last station lasted and I know that you didn't want to pay that much but before you buy do as much homework as possible in regard to warranty, customer service, and user reviews.
Good luck with your search.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Online box

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 11:51:13 AM »
Just out of interest are there any other makes you would recommend, iare Bresser any good.

Unfortunately you really do get what you pay for!

I have an Ecowitt system (GW1002) with no console (I view the weather data on my PC or via the ecowitt app)

The external sensors are pretty durable, mine are into their second winter and so far I have only replaced a couple of batteries

You do need to think about mounting options - it cost me £50 to mount my anemometer on a 20ft stayed mast but I saved some money re-using a metal pole for my rain gauge and the temperature sebnsor just went up on the wall

Of course thats all part of the fun and an interesting project :lol:

anything