Author Topic: VP2 ISS Maintainence  (Read 926 times)

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
VP2 ISS Maintainence
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »
Hello,

I have 2 Davis VP2 PWS. VP2 #1 feeds weather computer via serial port & supports multiple programs via VVP. These programs supply data to various internet sites via Fling for much of the data transfer and other individual FTP from programs such as GRLevel3, Lightning2k, Cumulus,etc. Both VP2 #1 and VP2 #2 feed WeatherLink where records are kept for posterity and comparison.

My Question. How can, or should, I swap the feeds and from #2 to the #1 slot while #1 ISS is undergoing a few hours maintainence (replacing fan and batterys on 24 hr FARS). Can, should, this be done via software or physically by swapping the DataLogger leads?

TIA

George

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: VP2 ISS Maintainence
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
1.  Why do that?

2.  OK, change the channel on the #1 console to the channel that ISS #2 is transmitting.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
Thank you Dalecoy.

#2 is obviously the correct solution. I can't believe it wouldn't come to me.

Re: #1 "Why do that?" I don't understand the question but you usually have good reason so, would you mind, "Why do What"?

Thanks again,

George

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »

Re: #1 "Why do that?" I don't understand the question but you usually have good reason so, would you mind, "Why do What"?

Sure.  However, you didn't say what #2 "normally" does, nor how it relates to #1.

You are reporting the measurements of Station #1 to a lot of places, and are clearly concerned with measurement accuracy (FARS, etc.).  And you are taking care to accurately preserve the data from both stations, etc. 

You are going to suddenly substitute measurements from another station, in your reporting and in your WL data that is associated with Station #1. 

Now, I know this is a balancing act.  The real situation is that Station #1 is offline for a short time - but you are reporting to a lot of places that it's still providing measurement information (perhaps with a small step change because of location, different sensors, whatever).  The good news is that you continue to report measurements from your location. 

So, "why" was a philosophical question (for all of us).  Is it better to have continuous reporting of conditions - or accurate reporting of hardware measurements?  There's of course no right answer.

And, in your case - "Both VP2 #1 and VP2 #2 feed WeatherLink where records are kept for posterity and comparison." -- hmmmmmm.

anything