Author Topic: An idea  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
An idea
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »
Hi Folks,

Has anyone thought of a way to extract the lightning data, so it could be placed on the homepage like you can with NexStorm? I would think there would be a way using the data that Henkka has in his EuroBlitz script, etc.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: An idea
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
I have a script that pulls the raw strike text files from the server every 10 minutes and generates two .kml files. One file is for strikes in the last 10 minutes detected by my station, the other for strikes NOT detected by my station.

I open the .kml files directly into Google Earth, which allows very tight zooming of the satellite imagery. I enjoy trying to identify the structure that the lightning hit compared to the calculated strike position.

It might be easier now just to pull the data from Henkka's MySQL database and avoid pulling the data twice.

The script could be adapted to other display methods. It's a bit easier working with the text files than with the database calls, at least for me.

Don

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:28:48 PM »
Nice Don, I was just going thru the earlier posts in the forum and saw the links for your scripts :D

But... you do realize you're pointing at the shadow of the light pole, right?  The top of the light pole is actually just off the base of the right turn arrow behind the pickup.  Still impressive to see how the strike data lines up!
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »
Heh...sure enough!

Even closer!

Don

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
Hi Don,

May I get a copy of your script for pulling data, please?

Thanks,

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »
You can download a copy at:  http://projectmf.homelinux.com/get_script_generic

It's a simple bash script that I have set to run every 10 minutes with CRON.

You need to change the station ID variable, the hard-coded <USERNAME>:<PASSWORD>, and the absolute directory paths to suit your installation.

For each 10 minute period, the script creates a raw data file, a .kml with all strokes detected by your station, and another .kml with all files not detected by your station. The script keeps three days worth of data, purging the old data when a new set of 10-minute files are created.

Don

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »
Thanks Don. I appreciate it, Sir.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus