Author Topic: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced  (Read 41169 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
Just noticed a new feature (weatherlink.com free)In the drop down from my KomokaWeather station name there are 3 items:Owned - which is my stationSaved - which has 3 stations listed 2 of which I can get their Bulletin page (nothing else) and 1 that gives a 500 Internal server errorShared - which is blank.

Yes, there are some odd things happening at present, perhaps while Davis get the shares properly sorted out. There are mutterings in the dealer channel.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline wxmanmhd

• FM Weather
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »
Has anyone heard if Weatherlink 2 update going to bring back the NOAA monthly reports?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2018, 03:19:16 AM »
Has anyone heard if Weatherlink 2 update going to bring back the NOAA monthly reports?

Not heard about anything imminent - I suspect that much of the development effort is currently going into sharing and migration. But I'm sure it will be back before long. Right now your only (Davis) option is to download the archive data into local Weatherlink. (There are third-party options of course  8-) )
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2018, 03:38:53 AM »
Just noticed a new feature (weatherlink.com free)In the drop down from my KomokaWeather station name there are 3 items:Owned - which is my stationSaved - which has 3 stations listed 2 of which I can get their Bulletin page (nothing else) and 1 that gives a 500 Internal server errorShared - which is blank.

Yes, there are some odd things happening at present, perhaps while Davis get the shares properly sorted out. There are mutterings in the dealer channel.

There is certainly an issue which was introduced when the sharing functions were implemented last week but it does not appear this it is the actual sharing function/option (as such) that is causing what I have seen as a cross link between stations /accounts where no sharing has been involved (yet)?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2018, 04:14:14 AM »
Well it's actually quite tricky to disentangle what's related to shares, device updates, preparations for migration and general issues to do with promotion of 2.0 and account management. Only Joel and his team of developers know the details.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »
Well it's actually quite tricky to disentangle what's related to shares, device updates, preparations for migration and general issues to do with promotion of 2.0 and account management. Only Joel and his team of developers know the details.

Well if they actually know the details then it really should have been fixed by now instead of support having us running around in circles trying things that really have nothing to do with the issue. Some detailed examples have been submitted and confirmed a second time and right now there is no room to move forward until this issue is fixed.

Another issue which is also part of the system problem is the inability to open different accounts at once, this is a fundamental Windows capability and has been so for many generations of Window versions so not sure just what is holding back this fix.

Offline drew

• Shoals Weather
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
I purchased the pro tier when the 2.0 was first available. Updates on the embeddable pages were every 60 seconds until this last update. Now Davis wants $8.95/mo for 60 second updates on the embed links with the Pro+ plan. My stations are only updating every 5 mins now. I’m super unhappy about this.

I have already migrated 2 of my stations to WxSolution and will be moving the third soon. The ability to have RapidFire updates on Wunderground again and custom webpages that I can have auto-refresh every 60 seconds along with no monthly fee is the way for me to go. I’ve been a WeatherLink user since 1998, but this last update has been too much. Thanks Davis for great equipment, but no thanks on the software fiasco called WeatherLink 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Drew Richards

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »
News that the mass migration from remaining users on 1.0 (ie those who haven't already migrated themselves) to 2.0 will start imminently.

This will apparently be done in batches of a few thousand users and initial email notification will be a 2-week advance alert that migration is scheduled, to be followed by a 1-week reminder, then confirmation that migration has happened and finally a notification that ALL of your previously uploaded archive data is potentially available to see and use (subject to upgrading your account to Pro or Pro+).

Users that have multiple stations associated with the same email address will find that all their stations will be migrated into the same 2.0 account.

I'm guessing that Davis will be monitoring the first migration batch closely and that the exact timing of subsequent batches will depend on any feedback and issues seen. In practice, I doubt that there will be many issues with the migration itself, it will be more about the time taken to process 2-3000 stations' data and the support load for users unfamiliar with 2.0.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:02:31 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »
Well I'm still waiting for issues to be fixed in regard my initial trial migration/s. Forced migration may be a little premature but at least if the pre notification actually occurs then that should give enough time to do it the way individuals want not the way Davis wants to force it especially with multiple sites under multiple accounts and different or same emails. 

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2018, 01:57:49 AM »
Had email from Davis to day

Congratulations!

263 days of your weather data, now available on WeatherLink 2.0!

All historical data for the active WeatherLink 1.0 devices associated with this email address is now available on WeatherLink 2.0. Log in now with your existing WeatherLink 1.0 username and password to visualize past meteorological events in charts and data.

Have checked and all is ok

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2018, 02:57:21 AM »
Had email from Davis to day

Congratulations!

263 days of your weather data, now available on WeatherLink 2.0!

All historical data for the active WeatherLink 1.0 devices associated with this email address is now available on WeatherLink 2.0. Log in now with your existing WeatherLink 1.0 username and password to visualize past meteorological events in charts and data.

Have checked and all is ok

Did you get prior notification?

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2018, 11:56:34 AM »
no notification

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »
The confusion now reigns supreme, and I would suggest if anybody has the ear of Davis (maybe Johnd?/) then they need to impress on Davis this is not being handled very well what so ever. I have yet to see any notice but now have 2 emails to the same email address with totally conflicting details. The first part of each email starts

..All historical data for the active WeatherLink 1.0 devices associated with this email address is now available on WeatherLink 2.0. Log in now with your existing WeatherLink 1.0 username and password to visualize past meteorological events in charts and data...

Now for a start there are absolutely no Weather 1.0 devices associated with this email address, secondly all my WL 1.0 stations (bar 1 which is still with WL 1.0) have been migrated and there's no way anybody would log on to WL 2.0 with existing WL 1.0 usernames and passwords as WL 1.0 stations have already migrated. So what have this mob done, migrated them again under this WL 2.0 email address using the old WL 1.0 user ID & password as the login on WL 2.0, like WTF.

Mind you there are 2 separate emails for this same email address and there was absolutely no link between WL 1.0 & 2.0 email addresses. even more staggering is the 8,247 days of weatherlink data they claim is now available on weatherLink 2.0! Something like a bit over 22 YEARS, yeah right. Yet the other email states 1,764 days   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:11:53 PM by Mattk »

Offline flyingdutchwx

« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
This forced "migration" to Weatherlink 2.0 is basically a money grab. Davis is likely not selling enough weather stations, so lets use the "subscription" model to supplement our cash flow. Not a buyer at this end. If that means I won't be able to send my data out to Weather Underground or any other third party service, so be it.
I've been trying to add my site to Weatherlink 2.0, but when you hit "device info", you can not adjust the Device ID and key (I never put these in, and they were put in for me). Hence. it will never find my station. Just brutal. Can't Davis afford to have some IT people who aren't working off Windows 95?
Frustration rules.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:55:32 PM by flyingdutchwx »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
...Frustration rules...

](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)

So what actually happened when you hit the Migrate button in your new 2.0 account?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:20:40 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline flyingdutchwx

« Reply #240 on: September 04, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
I log in with my Weatherlink 1.0 username/password, and it takes me to the bulletin screen. The bulletin screen with no data. When I try and configure the settings (which has the Device ID and key), it doesn't give me that option.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2018, 02:37:51 PM »
Step 1: Create a new account in 2.0 (I'm guessing you haven't done this yet??). Probably best not to reuse the same user name as in 1.0. Then Add Device | Migrate and take it from there!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »
For the record it certainly appears Internet explorer (IE 11 at least) has issues running WeatherLink 2.0 especially in relation to Owned, Saved and Shared sites, totally looses the plot in this regard. I have not seen Chrome get confused yet and have stopped using IE. Some of the formatting with station URL output is also not being handled well by IE and Davis have been sent all these details and screen shots quite some time ago.

There is also some confusion in regard Station Models and what they are supposed to relate to, even from within Davis support.

Also when migrating stations from V1 to V2 the V1 page/s should first be made Private otherwise once migrated the V1 link remains viewable and eventually goes red displaying irrelevant data frozen in time from something that really doesn't exist anymore.     

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »
....I've been trying to add my site to Weatherlink 2.0, but when you hit "device info", you can not adjust the Device ID and key (I never put these in, and they were put in for me). Hence. it will never find my station....

You can not "add" and existing V1 station to V2 as V2 knows I already exists in V1. From V2 you need to migrate your site from V1 and you will require the V1 station ID, Password and Device ID (MAC address)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2018, 07:00:28 PM »
I am STILL waiting for valid instructions (that work) before I do anything.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline flyingdutchwx

« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
I think I'm going to wait until this whole "migration" thing is done, and all the bugs have been sorted out, then see if I still want to go ahead. Davis sent me a tweet today saying how beautiful their new site is, but I have some serious doubts.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
I think I'm going to wait until this whole "migration" thing is done, and all the bugs have been sorted out, then see if I still want to go ahead. Davis sent me a tweet today saying how beautiful their new site is, but I have some serious doubts.

When the whole "migration" thing is done there won't be any need to see if you still want to go ahead, there is no option, if you don't do it then they will migrate your site for you anyway, notify you and when they migrate everything from V1, WeatherLink V1 will totally disappear.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #247 on: September 05, 2018, 03:47:40 AM »
As mattk says, I'm not sure there's anything to be gained from waiting for enforced migration to 2.0 (probably) later this month for most users - I can't imagine that there will be any/many changes in the site or process in the next 2-3 weeks. But it's obviously your call.

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #248 on: September 05, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »
WeatherLink 1 provided some valuable info/details to the owner especially regard WLIP/Router info (IP's etc). Has anybody found anything similar in WL 2.0?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2018, 05:23:29 AM »
WeatherLink 1 provided some valuable info/details to the owner especially regard WLIP/Router info (IP's etc). Has anybody found anything similar in WL 2.0?

If you look at the StationStatus JSON then some of that info is there. So, this isn't available from the main wl.com screen but you need to build the appropriate URL as described in the API document.

This URL is probably best assembled initially in eg Notepad, but once you have the full working URL then it can be viewed in a standard browser and saved as a bookmark for reuse. Obviously if anyone cared to write a simple app to parse the JSON then the info could be presented in an easier to read form. Possibly Davis will do this in time but right now I suspect that migration is top of the agenda.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK