Author Topic: Newbie need info on interface btwn Vantage Pro2 Plus to TPLink TL-MR3020  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Vegashiker

I am planning to purchase a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus weather station. I'd like to be able to connect to the weather websites.
This is replacing an old weather station that was only a stand alone unit.
I can save a lot by buying the TPLink TL-MR3020 and flashing it with the meteobridge software instead of paying the $210 for the turnkey
package from Ambient Weather. I can get the 3020 from Amazon for $32.53 plus the $54 to $75 (Euro to Dollar conversion)  license fee for the Meteobridge software.
I need to know how does the Vantage Pro2 Plus interface with the 3020?
 :?: In one place it looks like I need a Davis USB dongle, and in another place it seems like the 3020 and the Vantage Pro2 Plus are interconnected by a USB cable. Another site made it look like it was a CAT5 connection between the Console and the 3020.
The future placement of the display for the Vantage Pro2 Plus is such that a CAT5 interconnect to my router in impractical.
I need a WIFI interface.
So, does the Vantage Pro2 Plus just cable connect to the 3020 or do I need a special interface cable?
I can get the Davis unit for less from a couple of other companies much cheaper than Ambient Weather, and the 3020 from Amazon. I am concerned as to how the two devices connect.  What do I need?
I think I can do the flash of the 3020 to the Meteobridge software without a problem, I just don't follow the physical interconnect of the Davis console and the 3020.
The 3020 will connect to my home network via WIFI.
Can anyone out there give me a step by step? Thanks in advance.
Thanks
VegasHiker
MSgt USAF Retired.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
The connection between the two is a USB cable with datalogger attached. This can be either a Davis Weatherlink USB (you will need a USB 2.0 hub to make this set up work, see this post for details, and this one for information about a very small USB hub), or as an alternative you can use my Clone USB interface (price £55 GBP with worldwide shipping included) which does not require the USB 2.0 Hub.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Scotty51

• Puyallup, WA Weather
There will need to be a hard connection between the davis console and metoebridge router, but you can go wireless from there to your computer/router.
I have the Davis IP logger and that is the CAT5 connection you are thinking about. I got my VP2 from Santa with the IP logger and didn't know about the Belfryboy logger. If I were to do it over again I'd just get the Belfryboy logger and not the one from Davis.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
OT:  I have always wondered whether a USB over Powerline (yes - they exist!  Have been around for 7 or 8 yrs) would allow you to plug the USB end of the logger into it and at the other end hook it into a PC.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Vegashiker

There will need to be a hard connection between the davis console and metoebridge router,
The connection between the two is a USB cable with datalogger attached.

I am not sure I understand. Why, if you are not logging data, can't you just use a USB cable to interconnect the two devices?

Offline Scotty51

• Puyallup, WA Weather
There will need to be a hard connection between the davis console and metoebridge router,
The connection between the two is a USB cable with datalogger attached.

I am not sure I understand. Why, if you are not logging data, can't you just use a USB cable to interconnect the two devices?

The Davis console doesn't have a USB port.

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
You need a hardware to gel the data from the Davis (im get this data from a weatherlinkIP device), the MB read data from there and send it to website, WU, ECT ECT
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline Ladd

I certainly recommend the Belfreyboy data logging cable. It is less expensive than the Davis one.

I use mine to connect the Davis console to a TP-Link TP3040, and from there wirelessly to my home network. I selected the TP3040 as it came with an internal battery for backup when the power blinks here, which it does more than I would prefer.