Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109373 times)

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
I tried to update to the latest firmware and when I uploaded the bin file it said "upload failed" and then tried to restart.  It was never able to restart though.  Trying to reset everything I am unable to get back into config mode.  Any ideas?  The attached is what I get when I try to set it back up. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
You are lack of HTML files. No HTML files = no interface.
Please go to url http://192.168.4.1/admin/html
Use this simple interface to upload system.html file, then go to http://192.168.4.1/system.html to put all files from html folder.
You can use first url to upload all files if you like.

If you don't have wifi.html and want to establish connection with router use http://192.168.4.1/simplewifi
http://192.168.4.1/admin/infovalues - will show you IP adress.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:40:58 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
You are lack of HTML files. No HTML files = no interface.
Please go to url http://192.168.4.1/admin/html
Use this simple interface to upload system.html file, then go to http://192.168.4.1/system.html to put all files from html folder.
You can use first url to upload all files if you like.

If you don't have wifi.html and want to establish connection with router use http://192.168.4.1/simplewifi
http://192.168.4.1/admin/infovalues - will show you IP adress.

You are the man.  Not sure how I ended up with no HTML files loaded, but thank you so much for the quick response.  I am back up and running. 

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
PWS, WU, WOW accept dew point value and natural dew point from console is in whole F degree.
When people will accept this calculation from version 1.18. I will change all dew point values to this calculated one.
Outside temp is exported in tenth of degree. Only CWOP accept whole F degree.

I completely agree with kubuki -- and your previous decision.

Quote from: WiFiLogger on Yesterday at 04:22:01 PM

WFL only transfer console data.
    Problem is that. I would like to stay with this philosophy. WFL is a tool to transfer data.

Doing formulas to change the data from the Davis console would be a negative for me, in a decision to purchase a new logger.

The purpose of a logger is to log the data, and provide a way to access the log.  And optionally, to transfer the console data to other systems, in the same way that other software now does.  Not to modify the data.  And certainly not to modify the data in ways that can't be unmodified.

Now I have just add second dew point in same line to check if everything is alright. I think it is the same algorithm which was used in Davis console.
Data the same, algorithm, result the same, so all is alright.
I don't want to change any more data. Even if those data are not very good. From my point of view is irresponsible, someone has bought this particular weather station to have data from it.

There is more than a dew point.
Rain gauge has big error when rain rate is high. It should stay like this.
There is only 10 min wind gust. If some people will need other wind gust. I can't help.
etc. etc.

WiFiLogger should be very close to Davis standards.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
You are the man.  Not sure how I ended up with no HTML files loaded, but thank you so much for the quick response.  I am back up and running.

You have latest firmware now? Or still problem to make update?
Please go to the first post there is an update manual.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Now I have just add second dew point in same line to check if everything is alright.

May I suggest to add this as an option only? Best would be to keep original values and only switch to the new algorithm when someone specifically requires it by the flip of a toggle setting.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
May I suggest to add this as an option only? Best would be to keep original values and only switch to the new algorithm when someone specifically requires it by the flip of a toggle setting.

I will put dew point option nearby units controls. There were some questions before about this dew point, so it will stay.
This calculation of dew point value is harmless. Besides WeatherLink is calculating also this value, so it is still Davis standards.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor

You have latest firmware now? Or still problem to make update?
Please go to the first post there is an update manual.

Yes, latest firmware is now installed.  Thanks!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
This calculation of dew point value is harmless. Besides WeatherLink is calculating also this value, so it is still Davis standards.

Davis sometimes changes their calculation formula.  So, you'll change your calculation when Davis changes theirs?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Davis sometimes changes their calculation formula.  So, you'll change your calculation when Davis changes theirs?

I will ask here what to do next. Replace, or add new algorithm.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
I think some get a little carried away worrying about apparent precision and what it really indicates especially with computed and averaged values, sensor accuracy/spec from sites that are mostly not ideal anyway. Just because a value has 1 or x decimal places doesn't indicate much in most cases.   

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
I will ask here what to do next. Replace, or add new algorithm.

I don't envy the frustration of all the differing opinions that you face.  You know my vote already.  Although, there could be a 3rd option, but you may not like it since it would require even more effort from you.  That is to add a boolean option somewhere in the settings menu to toggle this feature on/off.  Ultimately, the decision is yours and I surely won't think less of you if you choose to only provide the whole number dew point.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
All devices on market today have to have maximum one button and have to be maximum easy to operate.
That's the problem. I have to make it as simple as I can. When I put to many features then people will ask for manual which they don't read.

My Job is to make clear interface.
Five algorithms to choose how dew point should be calculated is definitely not clear.
Dew point is not a problem at all. Problem is when it will be a standard that we start to recalculate live readings.
I would like to stay with this dew point calculation and not go further.

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
Well, I don't think you should be doing any calculations/modifications in a LOGGER.
As you previously stated, the WiFiLogger should be very close to Davis standards.

If users want to modify what comes out of the console then that should be their responsibillity to do by whichever means they wish and not have to re-modify an already modified data point.

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
I think there is some confusion here.  Here are a few key points:
  • There is no sensor for dew point in the Davis system to log or archive.  In fact, it's not available in the archive records using the 'DMPAFT' command.
  • Davis uses an indirect method which uses the temperature and relative humidity values to estimate the dew point.  The particular method they chose is documented here: https://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/app_notes/AN_28-derived-weather-variables.pdf.
  • The proposed change is to use the exact same calculation that Davis published.  The data will be exactly the same but with one additional significant figure than what the console presents, but exactly the same as what WeatherLink provides.
Maybe a picture will help.  Here is an example graph using real data that shows a comparison of what WL shows compared to the console readout:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The RED console trace clearly exhibits rounding to the nearest whole number.  Whereas, the GREEN WL trace is easier to see relative changes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:53:31 PM by optical_man »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
The proposed change is to use the exact same calculation that Davis published.  The data will be exactly the same but with one additional significant figure than what the console presents, but exactly the same as what WeatherLink provides.

Understood.  The data will not be the same that the console directly provides.  Nor will it be the same as is shown on WeatherLink.com.   

It will be the same that Weatherlink software provides.

That "enhances" the resolution (of course without improving the accuracy or precision).  It can be useful in showing fractional degree variations in computed dew point.

It just isn't the same thing that the Davis hardware provides.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I think there is some confusion here.  Here are a few key points:
    The
RED console trace clearly exhibits rounding to the nearest whole number.  Whereas, the GREEN WL trace is easier to see relative changes.

Excellent analysis and discussion. But, you have convinced me I don’t understand dewpoint, and I certainly don’t care to have it presented to one decimal point in accuracy. My vote (a retired CPA but love being a weather enthusiast and working with fellow PWS owners), is to keep it simple and what Wojtek originally proposed is good enough for me. We are very lucky to have a talent like Wojtek, and want him to continue keeping his logger current, free of bugs, and forget about dewpoint with a level of accuracy that I don’t need nor care about. I purchased one of these loggers from Ryan Wilhour and from my perspective, it is a great tool—something that meets my needs precisely—a logger that doesn’t need a computer to upload my pws to key weather sites. The Poles should be impressed with such a talent.[/list]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:54:43 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
Interesting.
It is clear that as there is no Dewpoint sensor, any representation of Dewpoint HAS to come from a calculation.
So the discussion is entirely around the options;
1. WiFiLogger delivers the value calculated in the console (as per the Davis specs and in whole number F or C).
2. WiFiLogger behaves like weather software and does its own calculation and shows higher resolution.

VP2 specification says:
Dewpoint (calculated)
Resolution and Units. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1°F or 1°C (user-selectable) °C is converted from °F rounded to the nearest 1°C
Range. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  -105° to +130°F (-76° to +54°C)
Accuracy  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  ±2°F (±1°C) (typical)
Variables Used . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Instant Outside Temperature and Instant Outside Relative Humidity
Current Display Data  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Instant Calculation

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
It is clear that as there is no Dewpoint sensor

True, on a VP2 or Vue system. But, just to preempt other potential posts, there is of course the chilled mirror hygrometer which I guess does measure dew point directly. Just a shame that we don't have one for the VP2 and at an affordable price. :-(
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Based on the accuracy spec then that eliminates option 2, doesn't it as higher resolution is meaningless, relative to the accuracy spec and anything to do with precision.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Problem is that console is dropping tenth part, there is no reason to accept that. This formula from Davis manual is the same which is built in console. So everything is ok with dew point either with console version, or calculated one. However, it must remain as an option to choose from. Even if this is the same number.
Anyway. Calculating dew point was very good idea. It looks much better than whole degree version.

That what I want is to not make calculations as a standard.
You know that you don't have to mount anemometer facing north? WiFiLogger could calculate direction value.
It won't happen even this is a good idea.
Console gives 10-min and 2-min avg wind speed. Can we make 5-min avg wind speed? Yes, but won't happen.

My job here is to hear clients needs and make better product for them.
I can make cuckoo clock using backlight in console if you want. Twelve flash of backlight at high noon. Useless, but ok.
I just want to stick to the plan and relocate raw console data into the Internet.

We should stop this discussion, too much philosophy about one digit.

Offline GBAllison

Do you have any idea when this will be available in the US? 
And how will it be announced?  (In other words, how will I be able to find out that it's available?)

This seems to be *exactly* what I'm looking for, but my family is way too impatient.  I may have to cobble together some workaround to hold them off in the meantime ... so getting a guess about how long of a wait will help me decide between impatient-family-workaround and cool-my-heels-patience. :-)

And add my thanks to the list of people who appreciate what you're doing for the WX-Davis community!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Do you have any idea when this will be available in the US? 
And how will it be announced?  (In other words, how will I be able to find out that it's available?)

And add my thanks to the list of people who appreciate what you're doing for the WX-Davis community!

It is available in the US now from Scaled Instruments:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com

The price is currently $139 plus shipping if you create an account with SI.

I have this logger and it works great. Be sure to update the logger to the current firmware version. See the first post in this thread for the firmware update, logger instructions, and instructions on how to update the firmware—a two step process—the firmware update itself and 10 html files—an easy process—just remember the two steps!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:59:26 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline GBAllison

That is SO helpful ... THANKS!!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Hi Wojtek,
The uploads have been very intermittent over last couple of days, and now stopped to most sites - PWS, WL, CWOP, FTP archive
i.e. http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOMOKA2.html and http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/rawwx.cgi?call=FW2530

However WU is mostly being updated http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IMIDDLES37

I did reboot the Vue console (disconnect all power and reconnect) and that seemed to get at least one update to CWOP but nothing further.

WiFiLogger Real Time Data view looks fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul