Author Topic: NEW: Meteobridge can share a connected Vantage with another program  (Read 58398 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: NEW: Meteobridge can share a connected Vantage with another program
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 09:21:18 PM »
If the OP gets a 6163, just get a dongle to connect the console to the MB.  Now if he is talking about getting JUST the ISS, then the Meteostick is a cool option.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Ladd

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 03:12:52 PM »
I am looking into upgrading my PWS with a Davis Pro2. I also currently use Meteobridge. Since I am new to Davis, what piece of hardware do I need to get to link the Davis unit, say a 6163, to the meteobridge and also be able to use a PC program like cumulus or other.
If you already have a Meteobridge,  you will need two items; a USB data logging cable to go from the Davis console to a small USB hub (to translate USB 1.1 to USB 2.0) which will attach too the Meteobridge. Either the Davis branded or Belfreyboy's data logging cable would work. I have Belfreyboy's cable (which is less expensive than the Davis one) and it works fine. I use a very small USB hub purchased from Amazon for $10 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A81ISJ6/ref=twister_B00NNXYSZ4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

Offline stewart45

• Contributor
    • Newlands Weather Station
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
Sounds interresting, I'm running meteobridge via my davis vp2 wetherlink data logger, would like to run WeatherDisplay as well how would I set this up, tried using the meteohub setup in WD but that didn't work properly, is this something that Brian from WD would have to enable

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
Sounds interresting, I'm running meteobridge via my davis vp2 wetherlink data logger, would like to run WeatherDisplay as well how would I set this up, tried using the meteohub setup in WD but that didn't work properly, is this something that Brian from WD would have to enable
You should set the "second" weather-program to listen to a WL-ip Davis station/logger using the ip address of the Meteobridge and port 22222. As if it is a real ip-logger.

Works like a charm as my VVP was fully used and now I have another Davis station to test with.

Wim 

Offline stewart45

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
Hi Wim
Cant see where to select that in WeatherDisplay, been loking under Control panel/station type and settings ?

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
Hi Wim
Cant see where to select that in WeatherDisplay, been loking under Control panel/station type and settings ?
1. select Davis as a station
You select the davis VP in  ControlPanel => StationType&settings => tab Davis.
Select DavisV Pro/plus . . .  (with datalogger . . .,  then your solar and so on. You should select 19200 as baud rate.
2. Set the port to IP.
You select the port in ControlPanel => TCP/IP connection set the ip-addres of the meteobridge and the portnumber 22222
Check "Enabled" , and if needed "release connection" if you are uploading to WL.com also.
Do not check "Use with Meteohub".

It works with me OK,

Wim

Offline stewart45

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks Wim, working fine now, got the port no wrong, left out a 2
just one other thing does the data received get written to any file i.e. 12005lg.txt
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:58:01 PM by stewart45 »

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
Thanks Wim, working fine now, got the port no wrong, left out a 2
just one other thing does the data received get written to any file i.e. 12005lg.txt
For WD there is no difference between this or any other Davis WL-ip attached weather station. That is the thing I know. I do not know what a 12005lg.txt file is though. If that file is generated with another Davis-ip station it should be generated now also.

Wim

Offline Jackietools

• https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a1320598-ae1c-4267-9009-3c86e9215e32
  • Contributor
    • Jackietools
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 09:00:02 PM »
Can you also advise how to set this up in Weatherlink software using a Davis Vue? Thanks.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 12:48:34 AM »
Maybe this is a no brainer... but can you use this new function to feed the Virtual VP program if you wanted? 

Offline Ladd

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
For a variety of reasons, I needed to restart my TP-Link MR3040 about a week ago and it downloaded the most current Meteobridge firmware. Since that time I have been unable to get WeatherCat software running on my Mac to connect to the TP-Link; WeatherCat says that it can't find anything to connect to. Prior to the Meteobridge firmware update, everything has been working fine since last January, over multiple updates of the firmware.

The TP-Link is sending camera still shots to the Meteobridge server every five minutes and the weather data is being uploaded to Weather Underground every few seconds, so the IP address I have for the TP-Link works. Yet when I enter that known IP address into Weathercat, it returns a "can't find anything" error.

On the Meteobridge "System Tab", The "Messages" section says:

"logger (06.09.2015 13:20:15): [IP Address of computer running WeatherCat]'s request on port 22222 accepted.
 logger (06.09.2015 13:20:31): connection on port 22222 closed."

No additional info given.

Has anything changed in the Meteobridge firmware to close port 22222 of the TP-Link?

Is there some way I can test to see if port 22222 is open?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:19:17 PM by Ladd »

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »
Hi folks - pretty new here. I have a Davis VantagePro2 with WeatherlinkIP, recently set up, all working fine. My great offense seems to be that I use a Macintosh though :-) Seems weird in 2015 but I have had a heck of a time feeding other services like Weather Underground, NOAA, etc. Today, I have been reading about Meteobridge and it would seem to overcome some of the issues. Wa thinking of contacting Davis and pleading that the IP was not what I actually needed, but the USB dongle instead. Whether they go for that or not, would it be correct to say that my console could "feed" the Meteobridge via the USB dongle and from there, I could export to Weather U, NOA< and so forth - perhaps even over WiFi? The documentation on Davis site is thin and really seems that I ought to be able to use a Mac. That said, I was about to get a low cost PC, stuff it int he basement, etc. but if Meteobridge will solve my trouble, seems much easier. How far off base am I? Thanks for any guidance.

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 03:33:48 PM »
Hi folks - pretty new here. I have a Davis VantagePro2 with WeatherlinkIP, recently set up, all working fine. My great offense seems to be that I use a Macintosh though :-) Seems weird in 2015 but I have had a heck of a time feeding other services like Weather Underground, NOAA, etc. Today, I have been reading about Meteobridge and it would seem to overcome some of the issues. Wa thinking of contacting Davis and pleading that the IP was not what I actually needed, but the USB dongle instead. Whether they go for that or not, would it be correct to say that my console could "feed" the Meteobridge via the USB dongle and from there, I could export to Weather U, NOA< and so forth - perhaps even over WiFi? The documentation on Davis site is thin and really seems that I ought to be able to use a Mac. That said, I was about to get a low cost PC, stuff it int he basement, etc. but if Meteobridge will solve my trouble, seems much easier. How far off base am I? Thanks for any guidance.
1. The Meteobridge can use your current Davis IP logger without any problem. No need to switch to an USB one.
2. Meteobridge can do almost all upload you want. To WeatherUnderGround and dozens others.
3. The Meteobridge can be connected in this setup to your cabled-Lan or to your wireless-lan (wifi).
4. The Meteobridge can also pass-thruogh the Davis logger to ONE other device/pc/mac with a weather-program and will act to that device as a real Davis IP logger.

This could be your setup, as an example:
a. Davis console/logger connected to your router using a RJ45 cable.
b. Meteobridge connected to your router either by RJ45 cable or by using the wlan of your router.
c. A Mac with WeatherCat (a Mac weatherprogram) wich would read the weatherstation by ip-meteobridge port 22222 and act if it was reading a WL-IP directly.

There is no need to physically connect the devices. They are "virtually" connected by your local IP network. The most diffecult choice is the place to put the Davis console with the IP-logger. Somewhere where it is acessible but close to a network connection.

There is no real need to use your Mac (or any other device) as the Meteobridge is capable of feeding WU-type sites and also your own future web-site.
Both the Saratoga- and the Leuven-Template fully support the Meteobridge as does the MeteoTemplate which also gives you a remote database of your data.

Success, Wim

P.S. Using an imac myself to develop scripts, and a mac-mini with weathercat and half a dozen other weather-programs to feed the demo site. Nothing weird to use a mac.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:40:21 PM by wvdkuil »

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »
Thank you very, very much Wim! This is what I love about forums like this. OK, great. I will spend some money this evening it sounds like - and happily =D&gt; . Just one additional question is about the templates you have mentioned. I am unfamiliar with these templates and what they provide, etc. Is there any reading or resource you could point me to, to learn more? Thanks again and hope you have a relaxing Sunday.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »
You can get information and download -
Ken's Saratoga template and scripts - http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/index.php
Wim's Leuven template - http://support.leuven-template.eu/
Jachym's MeteoTemplate - http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/index.php

Enjoy

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 08:42:24 AM »
I have thought of going to the meteobridge setup for a while now. my old gateway 4 is not running so well anymore and I am kind of tired of leaving a big computer on 24/7. I have thought of using a old laptop but I just don't know....will have to do some more reading about meteobridge.

Anthony

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
I can only recommend it.... it is absolutely great...
- cheap (in comparison to other solutions and also having a PC 24/7)
- small router - absolutely quiet, negligible power consumption
- possibility of remote control over the internet from anywhere
- bulit-in possibility to send data to many weather networks (weathercloud, WU, etc etc) at any interval from a few seconds to hours
- possibility to send custom reports to any FTP, MySQL at any interval
- HTTP GET requests at any interval

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »
Wasn't there a discussion recently about the TP Link having enough horsepower to doa simultaneous SQL upload and run someo f the other functions?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
what do you mean?

I send data simultaneously to several weather networks + 2 FTP uploads + 1 MySQL upload

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=23944.msg230968#msg230968  But I was confused:  this is only an issue when using Acurite, not Davis.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2015, 03:01:10 PM »
I can only recommend it.... it is absolutely great...
- cheap (in comparison to other solutions and also having a PC 24/7)
- small router - absolutely quiet, negligible power consumption
- possibility of remote control over the internet from anywhere
- bulit-in possibility to send data to many weather networks (weathercloud, WU, etc etc) at any interval from a few seconds to hours
- possibility to send custom reports to any FTP, MySQL at any interval
- HTTP GET requests at any interval

I would want a system that can do all that my site can do now. and be able to run more then one computer off of it. and be able to share the connected weather station with more then one system.....don't know the right name for it right now....I do a lot of reading on there site....but still am at a loss on what 2 get...

I do a lot of reading on there site

Anthony

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
Your site can easily be replicated with a Meteobridge.  And even made better!  Port 22222 will allow you to share with another computer.  Plus you could send data to an SQL database!

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »
Your site can easily be replicated with a Meteobridge.  And even made better!  Port 22222 will allow you to share with another computer.  Plus you could send data to an SQL database!

I do know that. but it looks like it would be a lot of hard work to setup a meteobridge. I don't want to get the wrong hardware and be stuck with it.

From what I can tell it looks like the Raspberry would be the best hardware to use on it. I did find a place were I could get a ebox 2300 cheap. but it would be a used system.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:48:48 PM by Fox_Of_The_Wind »

Anthony

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
... I do know that. but it looks like it would be a lot of hard work to setup a meteobridge. ...

Sorry, what? ;) It has a web interface and with a few clicks you're ready to go. And you can still hook up any software that requires the serial protocol of the console (or WLIP). I doubt that any RPi/small computer solution is easier. Anyway, the MB is a SW license, you can repurpose an existing compatible router so you might not be required to pay a dime for that. IIRC it has a free trial period with full functionality so you can test it before shelling out for a license.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
... I do know that. but it looks like it would be a lot of hard work to setup a meteobridge. ...

Sorry, what? ;) It has a web interface and with a few clicks you're ready to go. And you can still hook up any software that requires the serial protocol of the console (or WLIP). I doubt that any RPi/small computer solution is easier. Anyway, the MB is a SW license, you can repurpose an existing compatible router so you might not be required to pay a dime for that. IIRC it has a free trial period with full functionality so you can test it before shelling out for a license.

I do know I don't have anything that could be repurpose for this setup. Wish I did I am liking it more and more.
I may just buy the use PC eBox that I been looking at. it is not much money and like you said I could try to install it first to see if it works. and I did read someplace else if I do ever buy the software I can move it on new hardware latter

My setup now had to be rebooted about once a week now and its getting old fast. I just want something that would last for a month....or two?

Thanks for the info. I am saveing this thread in my bookmarks

Anthony