Author Topic: Texas Weather Instruments humidity problem  (Read 654 times)

Offline Weaman

Texas Weather Instruments humidity problem
« on: July 18, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
I have a T.W.I WLS-8000 purchased new Feb., 2003. My temp./hum. sensor was rebuilt in 02/17 and calibrated to the console Dec., 2018. Last week the humidity decided to read 100%. Temp. is fine. As this replaced a WRL-25 I used the "new" cable to run directly from the sensor (in my yard) to the console: still reads 100%. I have another older sensor I assume to be usable that reads a reasonable humidity in the house but when I walk it outside goes to 100%. Actual outside humidity at the time about 70% (Kestrel 5500). Any ideas on what in the console could cause this? I'm assuming it is not the sensors, but could be wrong, of course. ANY thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Texas Weather Instruments humidity problem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 06:02:53 PM »
Does your dew point match the temp when it reads 100%?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:44:09 PM »
I'm thinking the weakest link in all this is the sensor, of course. 

But even with a new cable, that is a suspicious item, too.

Tell us more about your statement of having a previous sensor that gives ok readings in the house but as you walk it out, it goes to 100%.

Are you saying that it goes from say 50 or so immediately to 100%?  Or does it take awhile to go up?

Have you looked at the calibration numbers etched o the support bracket (if you have a pagoda) and checked in the 8000's set up to make sure the two calibration numbers match, and you aren't using the original 8000's sensor numbers with the old 25's sensor?

Any chance you have another piece of CAT-5 to test it with or could make one up pretty quick if you have the tool and a hundred feet or so of cable? 

Just some thoughts.   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Weaman

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »
Yes it does. Right now Outside & Dew Point 82.0F. Hum. of course 100%.

Offline Weaman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
I'm thinking the weakest link in all this is the sensor, of course. 

But even with a new cable, that is a suspicious item, too.

Tell us more about your statement of having a previous sensor that gives ok readings in the house but as you walk it out, it goes to 100%.

Are you saying that it goes from say 50 or so immediately to 100%?  Or does it take awhile to go up?

Have you looked at the calibration numbers etched o the support bracket (if you have a pagoda) and checked in the 8000's set up to make sure the two calibration numbers match, and you aren't using the original 8000's sensor numbers with the old 25's sensor?

Any chance you have another piece of CAT-5 to test it with or could make one up pretty quick if you have the tool and a hundred feet or so of cable? 

Just some thoughts.   Dale
The cable I used is a new (blue) T.W.I. cable. I do have a new yellow cable. I know they're physically the same. I do enter the correct settings for each sensor as I use it. The one that seems to work reads 83-84% in the house, which is too high. When using the T.W.I 100' cable and placing the sensor outside it slowly, say a minute or so, goes to 100% and stays there. I did not bring it back in to see if it would go back to 83-84%. Don't have a handy hunk of CAT5 long enough to try that. I do have the crimper tool. Thanks for the replies.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »
Yes it does. Right now Outside & Dew Point 82.0F. Hum. of course 100%.
Well, that rules out something...just not sure what...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 05:30:49 PM »
And both old and new sensors display the exact same behavior? Can you check both indoors? Gotta keep trouble shooting.

Offline Weaman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 09:31:24 PM »
And both old and new sensors display the exact same behavior? Can you check both indoors? Gotta keep trouble shooting.
The old or sensor in question, when brought into the house & with proper settings immediately reads 100% humidity. I gave it 20 min. to adjust. The other/test sensor read 100% outside but aprx. 84% inside. I have to reconnect outside the sensor in question because the temp. is quite accurate. I'll keep digging as time permits.