Weather Related Organizations > CoCoRaHS

CoCoRaHS Versus NWS Gauge

<< < (3/5) > >>

CW2274:

--- Quote from: Cutty Sark Sailor on December 06, 2022, 07:54:05 PM ---Here's update on prospective alternative I mentioned above...
https://climalytic.com/tropo 

--- End quote ---
Thanks. Only thing, they say accuracy is at 0.01". That's not accuracy, but resolution. Rain gauge accuracy is deemed by a percentage, not a specific amount. That means if I get 10" of rain, it'll report 9.99", 10.00", or 10.01". Obviously not a realistic claim. I can only assume they meant 1%, as they even say the Stratus is accurate at 0.01". No bueno.

Cutty Sark Sailor:

--- Quote from: CW2274 on December 06, 2022, 08:14:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: Cutty Sark Sailor on December 06, 2022, 07:54:05 PM ---Here's update on prospective alternative I mentioned above...
https://climalytic.com/tropo 

--- End quote ---
Thanks. Only thing, they say accuracy is at 0.01". That's not accuracy, but resolution. Rain gauge accuracy is deemed by a percentage, not a specific amount. That means if I get 10" of rain, it'll report 9.99", 10.00", or 10.01". Obviously not a realistic claim. I can only assume they meant 1%, as they even say the Stratus is accurate at 0.01". No bueno.

--- End quote ---
Yep, they sure paraphrase what Stratus says in their home page product description:
“Guaranteed accurate to within 1/100th of an inch,...”
https://productivemn.org/product/best-rain-gauge/
 :D

CW2274:
Well, they sure do, don't they.. They'd be wrong as well.

miraculon:

--- Quote from: WheatonRon on December 06, 2022, 08:00:59 PM ---A refinement would be nice. In the winter I put the inner CoCo gauge aside til Spring. I weigh the 4 inch gauge (the outer cylinder) with snow, ice and water then subtract the empty cylinder weight (all in grams) and then divide by 201 to get a measurement of water content, in inches, to report to the CoCo folks. To make it easier for me, I have two CoCo gauges—one for the day’s collection and the other for tomorrow’s. I bring the gauge into the house for this procedure and replace the outside unit with yesterday’s clean gauge. Interesting, the weight of the two empty outer cylinders is slightly different so it has to be weighed each time (once the snow and water are removed) for a proper calculation. Obviously the current outer cylinders weren’t consistently manufactured (calibrated) so the previously discussed enhancement, in this thread, will hopefully fix this.

--- End quote ---

I do the same thing.

I have a Brother P-Touch label maker that makes nice, durable labels. I have labeled three cylinders with the gram mass, so I have it when I take the measurement. I periodically verify the mass of the cylinder. Just a suggestion to make things easier.

Greg H.

Cutty Sark Sailor:
Well, the field test is complete. CoCoRaHS has approved the new Tropo Gauge.
I had the privilege of being a field tester, and EVERYTHING Climalytic states about the gauge is accurate!
This instrument cures many of our 'complaints' about current instruments.

Much impressed.... Now, the accuracy, construction and features DO mean this is more expensive than our older 'jeeps',
but it's probably time for many of us to move up . (I have suggested a 'basic' instrument package, along side the 'Rolls Royce' complete system, and that may be in the works down the road.)

It's available for pre-order at a 10% discount, with first production delivery expected in May.
You can also see my final 'review', +'s and -'s after the field test. (or attached also)
https://store.climalytic.com/tropo-gauge/?mc_cid=0bff2199ac&mc_eid=84f74066f6

Yep, I'll be changing instruments for reporting. 

Attached image is the eval instrument sent me, this has white gauging, release will be black.
Also, the 'Tops' of all three instruments are at same ground height. Perspective causes the difference.
OH...the bird spike tips aren't included... I stuck those on mine ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version