Weather Station Hardware > Remote Weather Monitoring

Is a wired anemometer better than wireless.......

(1/6) > >>

BeaverMeadow:
...because the display of wind speed would be real-time and not just a sampling every x seconds?

I couldn't find an answer to this question. I know Davis has wired and wireless anemometers (being discussed currently on the Davis forum) but no mention of this possible difference.

I don't like missing gusts or getting inaccurate averages from my wireless entry level cheap pws and would consider a wired anemometer (if financially feasible).

Bushman:
I could be wrong, but IIRC the Davis anemometer is just the connection to the ISS.  And IMO a wired would be truly real-time; not sure if that is better or not.  Inspeed makes some wired ones that show realt-time wind.

CW2274:
It makes no difference, the update interval is 2.5 to 3 seconds either way.

johnd:
There's no difference between wired and wireless in the Davis systems - they all measure the mean wind speed over 2.25 seconds, ie a gust speed. This fits in with what the WMO define as a gust speed and so to all intents and purposes all Davis anemometers measure real-time wind speed.

There's maybe a separate discussion to be had about measuring instantaneous wind speed; that's not a reading that is commonly used but could be estimated by eg timing one rotation of the wind cups.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: johnd on May 20, 2018, 04:44:10 PM --- they all measure the mean wind speed over 2.25 seconds, ie a gust speed. This fits in with what the WMO define as a gust speed and so to all intents and purposes all Davis anemometers measure real-time wind speed.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the clarification. If I understand right, the sample is taken over a 2.25 second stretch then broadcast every 2.5 to 3 seconds?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version