Author Topic: I didn't "choose carefully"  (Read 3215 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
I didn't "choose carefully"
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
Now that I can split my data downloads to 4 places at a time,  I downloaded cumulus because a friend uses it and the price is obviously right. 
It's pretty nice looking actually.
But in the station configuration settings, I carelessly hit "ok"
with degrees Celsius set instead of "F" and pressure in millibars instead of inches.
I went back and changed them on the config page.
Now the tables are corrected but the readouts are still wrong.  How do I fix this?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: I didn't "choose carefully"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »
Don't think you can

Wind Speed
Pressure
Temperature
Rainfall
 Select the units which you would like Cumulus to use to store and display the data.

IMPORTANT: You should choose your units the first time you run Cumulus and then stick to them. Cumulus logs the data using whichever units you have selected; so if you subsequently change units your data logs and all time records will be inconsistent and meaningless. 

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
Don't think you can

Wind Speed
Pressure
Temperature
Rainfall
 Select the units which you would like Cumulus to use to store and display the data.

IMPORTANT: You should choose your units the first time you run Cumulus and then stick to them. Cumulus logs the data using whichever units you have selected; so if you subsequently change units your data logs and all time records will be inconsistent and meaningless. 

Hmm.  Thank you.  It's not the end of the world, since I already have VWS and WeatherLink.
But since I only started Cumulus yesterday, how about if I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it, this time being more careful?

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
If you can accept to lose the previous Cumulus data, with Cumulus stopped you can just delete all the data folder files, restart Cumulus, reset to your units of measure and should be fine from that point on.  Or a total remove and reinstall should work as well.

Paul

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
If you can accept to lose the previous Cumulus data, with Cumulus stopped you can just delete all the data folder files, restart Cumulus, reset to your units of measure and should be fine from that point on.  Or a total remove and reinstall should work as well.

Paul

Thanks, my data is very backed up on the other software.  So I would really lose nothing by just uninstalling/reinstalling.
But I do think it's pretty nice software for free.
This time I will actually pay attention.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »

Paul

Thanks, my data is very backed up on the other software.  So I would really lose nothing by just uninstalling/reinstalling.
But I do think it's pretty nice software for free.
This time I will actually pay attention.

Free...yes.....but it is nice to drop a donation to them to thank them for all their hard work and putting out a really nice product.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:24:03 PM »
After resetting your units, and when you get time, you can customize the display panel appearance in a number of different ways. Here's my current "3-D" look:
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
I uninstalled and reinstalled and now I am getting the American units that I prefer.

Yes, it looks like a very nice program.  I paid, not sure, about $100 for VWS, and I have had some problems with it.

If I lost a little data, it was only one day's worth that was covered in any event.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
"Yes, it looks like a very nice program.  I paid, not sure, about $100 for VWS, and I have had some problems with it."

So, if Cumulus doesn't cause you problems, and you paid about $100 for VWS, it seems as if you might owe about $100 if you keep using it.

Just my opinion.

By the way, I paid about $100 for VWS and donated about $100 for Cumulus.

George

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
"Yes, it looks like a very nice program.  I paid, not sure, about $100 for VWS, and I have had some problems with it."

So, if Cumulus doesn't cause you problems, and you paid about $100 for VWS, it seems as if you might owe about $100 if you keep using it.

Just my opinion.

By the way, I paid about $100 for VWS and donated about $100 for Cumulus.

George

Well, ok, I sure do not "owe" it, but point taken.