Author Topic: New VP2 transmitter with worse reception  (Read 526 times)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
New VP2 transmitter with worse reception
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:57:05 AM »
I bought a new transmitter for my VP2 and instead of having around 50
CRC errors and 150 or so CRC/bad packets, I now have about 150-200 CRC and 300+ CRC/bad packets in a 24 hour period. Is it just because it's a different transmitter or is there a way to improve the reception to what my old transmitter was putting out? Thanks
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: New VP2 transmitter with worse reception
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 12:32:20 PM »
It can happen. There are obviously manufacturing tolerances to all components and it's certainly possible for Tx and Rx to be better or worse matched.

But the first questions I'd ask are what is the RSSI figure (see the second wireless diagnostic screen in the console manual if you're not sure what I mean) and are you sure that there's no source of interference nearby?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 11:30:22 AM »
It can happen. There are obviously manufacturing tolerances to all components and it's certainly possible for Tx and Rx to be better or worse matched.

But the first questions I'd ask are what is the RSSI figure (see the second wireless diagnostic screen in the console manual if you're not sure what I mean) and are you sure that there's no source of interference nearby?

Johnd, check your PM's please. Thanks!

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 06:31:22 PM »

The signal strength on my vp2 console is between the mid 30s and mid 40s. Interestingly, the reception on my VP2 console is a good bit better than on my Vantage Vue console. Is that normal?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 06:58:13 PM »

Interestingly, the reception on my VP2 console is a good bit better than on my Vantage Vue console. Is that normal?
Can't exactly answer your question other than to state that the Vue console seemingly has a more sensitive receiver compared to the VP2 (it is also considerably newer than the VP2 console as well). I base this on the fact that several years ago people were losing their VP2 signal in sub 0F temps while the Vue plugged along. Yes, that's the cold, but all I got.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
Crazy the awesome reception of my VP2 console today. Only 1 CRC error with just 10 bad packets/CRC errors. 100% reception with 9,824 consecutive good packets. On my Vue console not as good but much better than previous days with 32 CRCs, 197 CRC/bad packets, 586 consecutive good packets (I wonder why so much less than VP2?) and 2 consecutive missed packets. Is it possible the reception is worse on a cloudy/rainy day? I had over 500 CRC/back packets on one of those days.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:20:25 PM by WxLover16 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
Is it possible the reception is worse on a cloudy/rainy day?
Clouds, no. Toad choking downpour, probably.

anything