Author Topic: Making a change  (Read 5372 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Making a change
« on: August 20, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
Today I resigned my job at RMS. I have been in the district for 20 years. The last few have been so stressful that I took a leave before covid got going. I do not remember if I posted about it, but I pm'd Aardvark a lot.

Being hit. Anxiety. Total lack of respect, effort and support. High blood pressure.

So I will be out of the website game for a while. My new school is down the road a few miles and is private. I told them I would like to find the funds to do a set up there and have students do coding and an app. (cause we all know I am bad at it) Could be a good club or tech project. The principal likes the idea.

A large weight is off my shoulders. I am still in shock that this change is going to happen and that it is so close to school starting. Brain is having issues. Need more Xanex.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
Re: Making a change
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 06:10:12 PM »
Best of luck with the change. They say that when the time comes, you know.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
Sounds like a good decision. I hope your new job is better and that the students respects you. My wife is a HS Biology teacher. It is a nightmare. The situation is just horrendous. Florida (at least our county) allowed those students that wanted to stay home to be able to stay home, and they allowed those that wanted to go face to face to do so. The promise was that the online students was going to reduce the classroom sizes. That did not happen. 60% to 65% are face to face students and a minority are online. They only allowed teachers with high risk (age, health issues) to become online teachers. My wife did not qualify but she applied anyway and was not selected for online teaching. The HS students that show up face to face just do not care. This is not their emergency to be worried about. They don't wear their masks even though it is is required. They were masks that are stretched out. Some classroom sizes are 39 - 40 students which is ridiculous, there is no social distancing possible. They have to have some large classes because they lost techers to the online program but these teachers end up teaching other subjects so there is a shortage of science teachers but an abundance of other types of teachers. It is a total mess. This is unsustainable. She doesn't feel safe. The students do not respect her. There are Instagram accounts with posts of school vandalism. The students congregate and share water bottles and food. Today a kid was eating in her classroom. They do not respect that the teacher does not want them near them. It is impossible to teach a classroom and at the same time have another set of students live online, you can't be at two places at the same time and do a good job. There is more. They gave the students a choice but they did not think about the teachers and they didn't have a choice ...unless they were of older age or with health issues. It isn't right.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:27:04 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:04:37 PM »
was just reading a news article where it shows that young people have a high viral load, i,e can spread it easily, even when they only have mild symptoms or no symptoms
i.e eventually it gets spread to someone that it affects badly and they end up in hospital (e.g an older person)

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »
Giving up tenure in the 21st century?  Brave move.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 10:43:36 PM »
All the best. Keep us posted.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 10:44:47 PM »
Giving up tenure in the 21st century?  Brave move.....

I know. thought about that. But it was killing me. I did not see things getting better. Our supt ran the finances into the ground and now has left. No guarantee what they hire next.

https://www.minnpost.com/education/2018/02/minnesota-department-human-rights-warns-43-school-districts-and-charters-over-disc/

While there is some validity to the story. It is not the whole story. Districts have taken that as "Do not suspend" "Do not discipline" 

Last year was pure hell.

I cannot retire. I want to teach.

Dad had a heart attack at 54. His dad died at 47. They had a lot more physical stress than I do, but the mental is too much.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:51:08 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
How work changes!

Many times we are fortunate enough to start doing something that we love and see ourselves doing forever.

Some are lucky enough to do that their whole careers.

I have a friend who was teaching second grade in Green Bay, WI.  I recall her pride and enthusiasm with bringing books into their lives and encouraging them to read at home.

As bizarre as it sounds, over the years and the parents of the second graders began to change, in a mostly negative way, the effort she had to put into getting them to read ballooned enormously, and then even resistance on the part of the parents complaining to the principal that this ornery teacher was making them work at home.

An amazing loss. Her last two years were no fun. You'd not think that fear of being attacked by one of the kids at that age range was even within the realm of possibility or in a movie script, but she was frightened by a few with outbursts. 

I'm all for enlightened teaching, but to have few support mechanisms and little effective communication with some of the parents is disheartening.

In my work as a Family Medicine doc, I spent more time that I ever imagined listening to patients' complaints about hating a job, no reward in going to work, and feeling trapped.

In the long run, it is best to listen to your inner compass and while you want to teach, and you must work, try doing what you can to regain the setting of rewarding experiences again, as difficult as that sounds.  It does indeed happen for some, and I hope you are one of them.

When I moved here 40+ years ago, I never heard of a murder or major altercation reported on WCCO news, until one night with great solemnity Don Shelby began the 10 pm report with a story about a homicide.  Now it seems, all too much like the war reports from VietNam, we get numbers of shootings, murders or altercations since they are no becoming routine.

I fear that our civilized society is suffering a loss, for whatever reasons, and while your job teaching and inspiring, especially in the sciences, becomes a significant challenge, draining the exceptional people away from where they are needed and could shine a few decades ago.

Peace, listen to your inner voice, and indeed keep us posted. 
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »
Good luck on the new job.  Hope it works out for you.  You gotta do what you need to do to keep yourself healthy.  Even if it sucks sometimes in transition.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 12:29:37 PM »
Today I resigned my job at RMS. I have been in the district for 20 years. The last few have been so stressful that I took a leave before covid got going. I do not remember if I posted about it, but I pm'd Aardvark a lot.

Being hit. Anxiety. Total lack of respect, effort and support. High blood pressure.

So I will be out of the website game for a while. My new school is down the road a few miles and is private. I told them I would like to find the funds to do a set up there and have students do coding and an app. (cause we all know I am bad at it) Could be a good club or tech project. The principal likes the idea.

A large weight is off my shoulders. I am still in shock that this change is going to happen and that it is so close to school starting. Brain is having issues. Need more Xanex.
   I had been down a similar path, although the outcome was I was forced to retire early.  I had wanted to work an additional 5 years.  I found that the district was getting rid of tenured teachers at the age of 50 or older.  I was older.   Later I found that they were doing all sorts of dirt to get rid of experienced teachers to save money.  Since then, I found that they had decided not to fill the spot of special ed with science and math .   Later they have gone through  teacher a year for 6 years who would not hold that spot.   20 years teaching in the district, being the only teacher certified in all sciences , general and special ed, meant diddley/squat. 
   Enjoy the new position, you will have a smile on your face every day.   Enjoy, inspire, be one of those teachers that make the school go 'wow'
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:35:22 PM by Aardvark »

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »
chief-david, I wish you the very best on your move.  Having a school that you're already moving to tells me that this wasn't a knee-jerk reaction and that you've thought things out the best that you can.  Sometimes we have to make a move that isn't what our plans included, but the wise will see the need for the change rather than stubbornly trudging in the same rut that isn't working and is dragging them down.

Again, best wishes to you for a long and rewarding run at the new school!!!!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »
Best wishes to you chief, and much success in your new position. Take care of yourself and be well.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »
Good luck Dave. Hope it works out well for you.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 07:30:26 PM »
In the process of divesting my ownership of anything RMS related. It will take a while and the person I am giving ownership to does not know its coming. Hopefully the site and station does not become a 1200 brick. The other two in the district did when no one took care of them.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 09:54:10 PM »
Congratulations Chief! Change is the driving force of the Universe, and it goes much smoother if when the voice says "It's time for a change" that you don't fight the universe. I'm two months into a new job - as of today - and it's still the best decision I made or that the Universe made for me, however you look at it. People told me - its not the time to change jobs - insert a reason from list: your age, the pandemic, the time of year, the economy etc. Bottom line its the best time when you are no longer happy where you are. :)  Hopefully a donor will give the money for a weather-station at your new school. - Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 10:19:05 PM »
I have one from another Wxforum member.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40308.0

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
I have 1 network jack in my room. It is for the VOIP phone. I took it off and plugged in my IP-100. Started sending info right away.   

Spent this morning registering for WU etc. 

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMNSTLOU19

https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b73236211a027e7b5631aa9b1876ef89

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=FW8415

Still working on the computer in the classroom thing.

Last three weeks have been unbelievable- in a good way.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 10:54:15 PM »
Most Cisco VoIP phones have a pass-through Ethernet jack for your computer to connect to. ;)
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 11:22:11 PM »
That last sentence made my day!!!!  I'm tickled things are working well for you!!!   [tup]
I have 1 network jack in my room. It is for the VOIP phone. I took it off and plugged in my IP-100. Started sending info right away.   

Spent this morning registering for WU etc. 

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMNSTLOU19

https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b73236211a027e7b5631aa9b1876ef89

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=FW8415

Still working on the computer in the classroom thing.

Last three weeks have been unbelievable- in a good way.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »
I miss teaching as well, being 7 years retired.  Considering Kovid Kimmie and her mandate of face to face teaching in Iowa,  I have no plans to substitute teach.

May your new position be one of those that you can't wait to get to school and a tad bit downtrodden when you have to go home.  May the snow plow provide a clear path for you in both directions and the sun always shinning not in your eyes.  May your students be eager to learn and may you never have a new student with a name that you are confident that if you try to pronounce it you will summons a demon.

Joe

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »
Most Cisco VoIP phones have a pass-through Ethernet jack for your computer to connect to. ;)

amazingly it does not. It is small almost useless in its position. By the time I would go to the back of the room to answer it, I could have been in the office.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »
I know what you mean, as I had it at my high school.  Wondering, do they make a splitter that you could use one for the phone and the other for your item.

When they installed cable in my room, one jack was for the VOIP and the other was for computer if the wireless was weak.  I always hooked to the ethernet and had great reception.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »
You can't use a splitter, it doesn't even exist, as that would just present the same connection to multiple devices and the network would just not work. What you can use is called a network switch which will have a number of ports. To the lay person it may seem like a splitter but there is a lot more going on. A 5 port unmanaged network switch is but a few dollars, and all you have to do is plug it into the network and power outlet. But being that it is a school, it would probably be prudent to ask first.

Something like this could maybe work:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07S98YLHM/

But you'll likely the have a non-working phone if the phone is getting power from the Ethernet connection. If your phone has a separate power cable then a regular switch will work. Otherwise it gets a little bit more complicated and more costly. There would then be two solutions. You can get a different switch that is a PoE switch (Power Over Ethernet) so that it can provide power to the phone or you can get a power adapter for the phone so that it then plugs into a wall AC outlet.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 08:25:50 PM »
Just remember if you are using a switch, the CISCO if it has any display, or led lights needs POE - Power Over Ethernet - to function so if you are going to stick a switch on the wall jack first, then plug the weather "appliance" and the phone into the switch make sure it can either inject power or pass through POE, but then again your current phone may not need any POE.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
I have a 5 port switch at home. I will take it to school and give it a shot.

something like this

It's not you-It's WU.