Author Topic: Standalone Acu-rite Ethernet bridge  (Read 15187 times)

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: Standalone Acu-rite Ethernet bridge
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 11:11:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

A few comments:
1. The LED'S on the bridge can be turned off, just need to log into the bridge from a PC on the same network and click on the "LED" toggle button to turn them on/off. THis can be a bit tricky if you don't have technical experience with routers, etc. as you will need to look up what IP address your router assigned to the bridge.
2. For indoor temp, you would need an additional sensor. Additional sensors can be purchased from our website, here is a list of compatible sensors:
http://www.acurite.com/mybackyardweather#compatible
3. The more complete instruction manual should be available next week- I will post a link as soon as I complete designing it and get it up on the website. This will help folks get to the right place quicker. In the mean time, thanks to wxtech for posting the link to the existing instructions.

I am also working on implementing an alert that will send you a message to your cell phone, email/text message if there is a com issue with the bridge. This is specifically added for folks that want to remote monitor a home or summer/winter property. This way they will know if the power goes out or if the bridge stops communicating- this would be in addition to the already included temperature alarms for watching the furnace. We are getting allot of interest in this product for a remote environmental monitoring solution.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
I would not rely on a PWS to manage the heat in a part time residence.  There are far better, cheaper, simpler and more reliable ways to do this.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
Well, it's kind of just a bonus- obviously this product is not designed to do this- but can do so in a pinch.

Offline boomtown2011

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »
I have a question back in June i got a 1500 thinking there would be a bridge to my PC is there going to be a bridge that hooks to my PC. I am not talking about going to some web site but just to my PC. I like to track weather data on my PC over time If not i would have never bought this unit. I often do not internet and when i do it is limited.
Brad

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »
one more thing -- it doesn't appear that the indoor temperature/humidity is sent to the bridge by the 01050 indoor display thingi... correct? If not, which indoor sensor should I procure? Part of the "monitor the weather" project is to keep an eye on the indoor temperature as well so that we can see how the passive solar is working. It's a part time residence and we're rather interested to see how the investment is working out when we're not here. And to make sure things don't freeze up--or at least use the alarms to let us know that something is fubar with the backup heat.

Thanks!

The temperature of the bridge is going to be artificially high, due to internal heating- so that temp. is not accessible to user- only provided fro bridge functions. For indoor temperature monitoring, I recommend this sensor:
http://www.acurite.com/weather/acurite-weather-replacement-parts/replacement-sensor-00592tx-for-00592a3-00592w2-00592w3-00611-00612-00754a3-00754w2-00754w3-01033-01097-01099-02001-75075-75077.html

It is compatible with the aculink system and can be given a custom name on the web site or within the app. I have a few of these to monitor the nursery and the basement temp and humidity.

Also, regarding remote monitoring, We are currently working on adding an alert option to the website that will send you and e-mail and/or text message if there is a communication (power loss, network drop, ISP failure, etc.)  issue with your bridge. After all, it's great that you can get a temperature alarm from a remote "un-manned" location, but it's not to useful if the device is not sending data in the first place due to a power outage or something.