Author Topic: Need Help Finding A New Radio  (Read 4478 times)

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
Need Help Finding A New Radio
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
For many years I've had a OS WR102 weather radio but I left the battires in a little bit to long when they were spent and it corroded the bottom of the battery compartment.  ](*,) I can't fix that (I don't think) so I am looking to buy a new one. I like the hand held portable style. Any good ones out there?
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline Thunderbolt

Re: Need Help Finding A New Radio
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
I have had this happen to me more than once. Like a lot of people, I have placed batteries inside a radio and forgot about them. Sadly, once they start leaking and have done so for a period of time, the damage is usually very severe, if not permanent. The best thing you can do is just throw the old radio out in the trash and buy a new one.

Lisa, a longtime friend of mine recently purchased the Oregon Scientific WR-602, and she likes it a lot. In fact, she plans on buying another one for her sister that lives in Trois-Rivières, Quebec on her birthday that comes up next month. They are both into fishing and camping and Lisa loves the idea of having a portable weather radio with her. Also, the WR-602 displays alert information in English, French, and Spanish, and since her sister mostly speaks the former, this is an ideal radio for her.

http://us.oregonscientific.com/cat-Weather-sub-Weather-Emergency-Alert-Systems--prod-Emergency-Public-Alert-Radio.html

Here is a portable weather radio that is made by Midland that a person I know loves dearly:

http://www.midlandradio.com/Portables-Weather.H9I/HH54VP2

Yours truly,

Ron

Offline dandrzejewski

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »
I'll second the Midland HH54VP2.  It's nice that it is rechargeable, but can also run on AA batteries in a pinch.  I have only two complaints: The rechargeable battery only lasts a couple of days, even in standby, and you can't selectively defeat the siren.  So for that one, I have the siren disabled entirely.  I don't need to be alerted to a flash flood watch. :)

I've got the Midland WR-300 upstairs, which has the ability to block individual alerts.  Other than the alerts that you can't block (like tornado warnings and emergency action notifications), I think I've only enabled severe thunderstorm warning and tornado watch.  Only complaint I have about the WR-300 is that it doesn't detect the EOM signals, so the voice part does not turn off automatically, I think it just waits 5 minutes.

I've got the Reecom R-1630 on order... it seems to have all the features of the WR-300 - except the AM/FM radio - plus it has EOM detection.

Offline merecki

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »
Hi.  I just purchased a Sangean DT-400W AM/FM Digital Weather Alert Pocket Radio for under $50. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DT-400W-Digital-Weather-Pocket/dp/B0012YHQVE 

From the product description: "The pocket sized Sangean DT-400W has about everything you could want from a portable radio. In addition to AM/FM bands, it also includes an NOAA Weather Alert Emergency Channel that sounds a very loud audible tone when an extreme weather condition is imminent and/or a police emergency or child abduction has occurred or any type of public awareness becomes critical. Even with your radio off or you are listening to another station the weather alert monitor continues to monitor the NOAA channels should an emergency arise".

So far the it works great and the NOAA channel comes in crystal clear.

anything