Author Topic: Weather Station Request - Is EcoWitt what I need?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Ozweatherbloke

Weather Station Request - Is EcoWitt what I need?
« on: July 02, 2022, 08:41:28 PM »
Hi WX crew!

Been a longtime lurker and was holding out buying a weather station until I purchased a house, which happened last month!

I have been thinking about what type of weather station I would like to buy. I would like one that has a coloured screen which I can set up for the family to look at throughout the day. However, being a data nerd - I would also like to have one that piggybacks off the back of that data and pushes across to an old Raspberry Pi 3b, which records the data and feeds into a web page via weewx or something similar. My end goal is to build this database over the next 5-10 years to monitor pressures and temps. I would also like to add in soil temperature probes in the garden beds too in the future.

I am leaning towards the EcoWitt device range, which seems to fit what I am looking for. I don't really want to splash out too much cash to start, but not sure if this might be detrimental.. I just want to hear what the general consensus thinks about EcoWitt devices and if there are other devices are out there that I might have missed?

Thanks in advance, and may the weather gods be with you!

OzWeatherBloke

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
Re: Weather Station Request - Is EcoWitt what I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 04:34:45 AM »
I'm quite happy with my ecowitt station ( previously owned a lacrosse ). Only gateway, no console.
Reasonably priced, expandable, super user support from ecowitt, different configuration available of gateway/console/outdoor sensors.
Added a few extra t/h, soil and lightning sensors.
To visualize the data I use meteotemplate ( as you can see in my signature ) which I recommend too.

P.S.
Take a look also at this must read post about console/sensor compatibility and more

Offline box

• Forecaster
Re: Weather Station Request - Is EcoWitt what I need?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 04:52:04 AM »
I'm quite happy with my ecowitt station ( previously owned a lacrosse ). Only gateway, no console.
Reasonably priced, expandable, super user support from ecowitt, different configuration available of gateway/console/outdoor sensors.
Added a few extra t/h, soil and lightning sensors.
To visualize the data I use meteotemplate ( as you can see in my signature ) which I recommend too.

P.S.
Take a look also at this must read post about console/sensor compatibility and more
good advice

I'm happy with my station which started as a GW1002 and I have built upon since

The oldest part of the system is now 18 months old and survived two Cornish winters and still on the original batteries

The only issue I have had is with a WH31 t/h sensor in our polytunnel where temps get up to 50degrees, the LCD screen has 'run' and is not usable, but the sensor is working fine and still reporting

The only question I would have is your working environment, my system is in a temperate climate, not sure how it would fare in Oz, especially the summer. Perhaps some local Oz  users will post their experience?

My impression from this forum is if you want extreme longevity and resilience Davis is probably the best bet.

Of course a modular ecowitt system can be replaced bit by bit and may be more cost effective in the long run as Davis kit is at a premium, and you will have to contend with Oz prices, import etc.

The posted  link is essential, there are many options and resellers of fine offset kit

I am currently running cumulus Mx on a Windows pc to record my station data locally but have recently started a parallel installation running on a raspberry pi4b. I used the CMX image available on the cumulus Mx website and it was a completely painless experience...and free!

anything