Author Topic: 5 in 1 reporting rain...in a drought  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
5 in 1 reporting rain...in a drought
« on: August 13, 2020, 05:41:11 PM »
I've had two phantom rain events in the last week or so. Today was an interesting one 1.46" and not a drop fell today. Anyone else running in to this issue? My display shows nothing, the reporting out to WU is showing 1.46".
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Bart

• Contributor
Re: 5 in 1 reporting rain...in a drought
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
Welcome to the headache that AcuRite refuses to properly address. I've been having this problem (among other problems) for 2 years, in which this same rain issue was occurring with both a 5-in-1 and Atlas....but began once I began using Access. Which is why I am in process of ditching all my AcuRite garbage and moving along elsewhere. Already have my new system up and running and so far it is OUTSTANDING.

In all seriousness, good luck with your phantom rain issue. The problem will not cease and AcuRite will not address the issue properly.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 07:37:05 PM »
Bart, what did you get as a replacement?

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 07:59:20 PM »
I got the Ecowitt GW1002 system. Just the basic system for now. I plan on expanding it with other sensors and compatible software (CumulusMX), but just testing out the basic system to make sure I like it. And so far, it is AWESOME. I am having one small issue, but I'm certain I'll get it worked out.

If my Atlas/Access would have worked even remotely close, I would have been satisfied. I got fed up with false rain readings, temperature readings bouncing around (albeit it somewhat close to actual), and UV readings that are not only ridiculously low, but also bouncing all over the place.

Even the AcuRite 5 minute interval didn't bother me. I think it should be more often, but I was OK with it. My new system does 1 minute. So while not necessary, it's still a nice "bonus".

There are many other systems out there that really seem to be pretty darn good. I went the Ecowitt route because it seemed to fit what I wanted the best. But there were other systems/companies that were on my short list. I did a LOT of reading in other sub-forums on wxforum before making my decision.

Also with the GW1002 (and other systems have this ability...which AcuRite does NOT), if a parameter isn't quite right (let's say you feel that UV is reading a little low), you can go into the console and make an adjustment so it is what you want. I had to make an adjustment to UV (what is it with me and UV?!?!), a VERY tiny one, and as far as I'm concerned it is spot on. And I live in Phoenix, so we pretty much run the scale with UV right now. And it is nailing it.

Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:00:57 PM by Bart »

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:37:52 PM »
Are you in the US?  What frequency does your system use?  How far from the sensors do you have the GW1000 gateway?

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 05:24:55 AM »
Are you in the US?  What frequency does your system use?  How far from the sensors do you have the GW1000 gateway?

Yes, I'm in the US (Phoenix, AZ)
The system uses 915 Mhz (they have different frequencies depending on what country you live in)
This particular system is modular (not an all-in-one), so there are 3 different sensor units (outdoor temp/humidity...rain...UV/solar radiation/wind speed and direction). OK, 4 sensors really, since the unit that receives signals from sensors (similar to Access) also does indoor temp/humidity and barometric pressure. Being modular is great since you can optimize the location for each sensor individually. Atlas did get better with this by having the ability to detach and locate wind from the main unit, but it still had to be within distance of the main body since it is wired. With what I have now, each sensor unit is powered on it's own, so they can be placed in completely different locations.

The rain sensor is currently not mounted. But I did place it temporarily at the location where it will be mounted. About 50 feet away going through 3 walls. I got 4 out of 4 bars.

Temp/humidity is currently about 40 feet away, going through 2 walls. 4/4 bars.

UV/solar rad/wind is currently in the same location that the rain sensor was tested at, but about 7-8 feet in the air. 4/4 bars.

The location that my Atlas is (which is the same location that UV/wind of my Ecowitt is) is not an optimal placement, but it is good enough, as there was already a 4x4 post for a sat dish in the ground at that spot when I bought this house, so that's why I used that spot. I had considered over and over siting at a different spot, but with the issues I have been having with Atlas/Access it seemed like a bit of work for very little improvement. With my new system being SO good, I AM going to re-locate the UV/wind sensor. I'll be putting a new 4x4 in the ground and attaching a 10-12 foot pole. I'd like to go higher, but I live in an HOA and they have restrictions (which technically I'll be breaking, but they won't see it from the road, and none of my neighbors are going to care). Just waiting for it to get a little cooler outside to get to digging (we're currently seeing high temps of 110+).

Regarding signal strength from the sensors. The number of bars you see isn't actually signal "strength", but rather the number of transmissions that was successfully received. I'm seeing 4/4 on everything, so 4 signals sent, 4 received. Even if you see 2/4 bars, you could still have a strong signal, but only 2 were received, so there may be a little interference or something causing a couple transmissions to not reach the receiver. Conversely, you could see 4/4 and still have a weak signal...but all 4 transmissions are getting through.

I think the only thing I'll "miss" about AcuRite is the look of the web interface/app. I really like the way it looks. But, if the data is not good/reliable, then how it looks is pretty irrelevant (function over form). If you are considering a new system, part of my choice for me was how the web interface/app looked. Ecowitt's is not the prettiest, but capturing the data is WAY easier than with AcuRite, so there are ways to "pretty it up". We have multiple cheap tablets placed around the house that we use as a weather display, so how it looks is important to us. We also have a couple cheap tablets around the house that are on 24/7 that we use as monitors for our security cams. I love it when Amazon has a sale on their Fire tablets. They work great for my purposes. :)

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 07:42:54 AM »
Glen, getting back to your original question-- I had the same excessive rain issue (they call it bonus rain) and Acurite eventually resolved the issue. I asked for a replacement Access since I never had that particular problem with the SmartHub.They said that it wasn't the fault of the Access. Eventually they sent me a new 5in1 unit and that resolved the issue.

(AcuRite)
I am reaching out to you as we have found a solution for the false rain readings on my Acurite. It is the 5-in-1 sensor that is the issue. Please provide the following informaiton so we may work on a warranty claim. We will go off of your Access warranty for this replacement.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »
Thanks BeaverMeadow!

I ended up reaching out to them via Facebook. They indicated this is a known issue to some users and they are working on it on the back end. I'll keep everyone posted.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
Almost a year since the above erroneous rainfall data on MyAcurite/WU, an admitted problem with Acurite's back end, and last week I started getting a few days of rain reported when dry outside. Today, so far, MyAcurite reports 1.55" or rain while my display reports the correct .5" of rain.

Anyone else having similar issues lately? A user on the facebook user's group is also experiencing similar false readings.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
Yes, I've had a few false readings over the past few weeks on my CT station. I'm certainly keeping an eye on things.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 10:46:26 AM »
My 5-N-1 had an erroneous spike of 1.81 inches @ 1.00 AM on July June 26th.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:48:11 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DrewShock

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 10:08:32 PM »
When ever we had phantom rain under .10 it was caused by very high winds over 40 mph. When over 1 inch it's been birds landing on the station. We put a contraption made of wire to surround the rain collector and the birds have stopped landing on it and the phantom rain has stopped.

anything