Author Topic: 'Phantom' UV data  (Read 999 times)

Offline GB

• Swanston Weather
'Phantom' UV data
« on: February 24, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »
As in the subject line.
I'm using a wireless VP2 with a Solar Radiation sensor.
Last October it started displaying UV data but I don't have a UV sensor.  As soon as the solar radiation reaches approx 50w/m sq, it jumps to a UV Index of 16 where it stays until the Solar Rad falls back below 50.
I'm running Weatherlink for Windows and Weatherlink.com (Pro). I've tried adjusting the softare/upload settings on both  but, whatever I try, the UV is invariably there, lurking in the background. In Weatherlink.com I can, at least, turn off UV in the various displays. The problem is that the UV data gets picked up by Weatherlink.com andWeather Underground (where it was first noticed by a site visitor in December 2022).
At first I wondered if this was a software problem but I'm now wondering if there is actually a hardware issue. The ISS Transmitter unit was manufactured in December 2013 and has been out in a damp Scottish climate since then. I did remove the solar panel cover and the inside looked dry and clean.
 There does seem to be a clear relationship with Solar Radiation. Before I replace the ISS transmitter I'd welcome any thoughts on this problem. I did contact Davis but no real progress on this matter and I'm still waiting for a reply from WU.

GB

https://www.swanstonweather.co.uk/

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: 'Phantom' UV data
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 10:47:54 AM »
George, difficult to know for sure, but if I had to guess it would be a faulty SIM board in the ISS, which is now ca 10 years old. I would want to double-check that the UV socket is definitely fully dry and with nothing lodged in there that could be bridging the contacts.

Remote chance that your console is picking up data from another (faulty?) ISS nearby, but that is obviosuly unlikely on several counts. But you could check by moving the console & ISS to a different wireless channel.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline GB

• Swanston Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 06:06:37 PM »
Thanks John, I'll have a look at those suggestions over the weekend.
Looking at WU this all started on 22nd Oct last year.  Prior to that there was simply no UV graph. The problem began erratically over a couple of days before the present pattern was established,

George

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 08:06:45 PM »
WeatherLink.com appears to have a bit of "Phantom" data, Vantage Vue does not have Solar Radiation or UV yet the pages list these, same with Extra Sensors, have a Vue uploading to WL with an apparent 2nd Temp, don't have a second Temp and gave up trying to have it rectified, other Vue stations are ok, no extra sensors, just the one? 

Offline GB

• Swanston Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 07:17:47 AM »
Well, that jogged my memory. I remembered seeing '2nd temp' at some stage in the past-despite no 2nd temp sensor. I've been using Weatherlink for a long time. Weatherlink for Windows 2000-2014 at my previous weather station. Added Weatherlink.com when it first came out at my 'new' station which started here in 2014. Can't recall just when I first noticed the '2nd temp' but I ended up ignoring it as it didn't upload anywhere. However looking at the records I see that '2nd temp' began displaying here just a few months after the new VP2 was installed. '2nd temp' is still appearing but on an intermittent basis.
Strange.

George

https://www.swanstonweather.co.uk/

Offline GB

• Swanston Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 07:47:25 AM »
Update

The good news is that I installed an new ISS transmitter and that particular UV problem has gone.  However, I still have the problem mentioned by Mattk earlier, namely 2nd temp. stuck on -1.7C, and the UV Index stuck on 255.0 (!), these readings do not vary. These are only seen on the Weatherlink.com Chart page and the Weatherlink.com summary pages (including the e-mails). The fact that these particular problems do not upload to external sites means I'll just put up with them.
As an aside. I  no longer  see the 'update' tabs on the side of the Bulletin Page where display parameters can be selected.

George