Author Topic: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!  (Read 40406 times)

Offline pauldixon

Re: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2023, 01:22:23 PM »
Is there any idea how much data this unit will use in comparison to a WLL? I am on a cell upload plan and currently using a serial logger hooked up to a PC which uses a lot of data every month. I was planning to get a WLL to cut down on my data and make it more reliable until this unit came out. My old console isn’t reading very well (some of the screen doesn’t show anymore).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2023, 01:44:32 PM »
If you're asking about data usage on uploads to weatherlink.com via cell, then first guess would be exactly the same as a Weatherlink Live unit, for an equivalent configuration. (I'm not sure where your comment about a serial logger and PC comes in though.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline lurk

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2023, 02:21:58 PM »
Is there any idea how much data this unit will use in comparison to a WLL? I am on a cell upload plan and currently using a serial logger hooked up to a PC which uses a lot of data every month. I was planning to get a WLL to cut down on my data and make it more reliable until this unit came out. My old console isn’t reading very well (some of the screen doesn’t show anymore).
How long have you had your console?
If you're asking about data usage on uploads to weatherlink.com via cell, then first guess would be exactly the same as a Weatherlink Live unit, for an equivalent configuration. (I'm not sure where your comment about a serial logger and PC comes in though.)
I think he's referring to using a PC connected to a console via logger to upload to weatherlink.com. I also would guess that data usage would be the same or similar to a WeatherLink Live unit regardless of transmission method.

Is the PC used for anything else besides uploading to weatherlink.com? In addition to the data usage (possibly from other apps running in the background), a PC also consumes a lot more power than a WLL or WeatherLink console.

In Unifi Network, my WeatherLink Live 6100 is reporting 596KB (0.596MB/0.000596GB) of activity in 24 hours. I'll reconnect my WeatherLink Console 6313 to weatherlink.com and report the data usage within a couple days.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2023, 04:09:00 PM »
Is there any idea how much data this unit will use in comparison to a WLL? I am on a cell upload plan and currently using a serial logger hooked up to a PC which uses a lot of data every month. ....

What do you class as a lot of data every month?

I don't have WLL but as a comparison a WLIP uploading to WeatherLink.com (near real time ~ 60 seconds & hourly archive) via a dedicated cell router runs around 1-2mb per day. Cell plan is 150Mb/month and use around 50-60Mb max of that per month.

Offline jmello65

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2023, 06:28:54 PM »
Hello --  The more i read these comments -- am having second thoughts . I bought two davis 6313 consoles -- one from Scaled and the other from davis.  Dont like the delays and waiting. Davis has under estimated the demand -- from an email they sent me. The preorders just from davis will take 3 weeks to fill before they take care of others -- not good news -- however with the bugs/complaints maybe its a good thing.  So who do they take care next -- davis orders that werent under the preorder status. ?  Am sure Davis will go after those orders first to squeeze out as much money as they can.  Am sure both negative and positive views plus cost will draw or deter from buying or not buying. I havent received my two consoles -- I might return one if it doesnt wow me !!!!  But what there charging -- it better work for years. This should be an improvement to the other consoles. To those who bought the console and are playing it -- are you disappointed or surprised. I have two weatherlink lives -- are they obsolete or can they run alongside my new console.   Does the display keep track of daily - monthly-- highs and lows   --  Has Davis dropped the ball  ???  Thoughts  -- Comments  !!!!

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2023, 07:52:46 PM »
  --  Has Davis dropped the ball  ???  Thoughts  -- Comments  !!!!

They brought a rugby ball to a football match, that's what they did.

Some UK orders have been pushed back to April now.

Offline pauldixon

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2023, 11:36:44 PM »
My plan is 100mb each month. While I am uploading I go way over my plan limit and pay extra each month. It’s due to my PC trying to update etc - hence the reason of moving to a WLL to reduce the overage costs. But if the Console has more data usage than the WLL maybe the best option?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:38:30 PM by pauldixon »

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2023, 08:33:31 AM »
They brought a rugby ball to a football match, that's what they did.

Since Davis is based in the USA, I believe that the correct metaphor is that they brought a football (American gridiron ball similar to a rugby ball) to a soccer match..... ;)

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2023, 08:50:16 AM »
I am dismayed by the screen burn-in. Where did you hear that?

Post #2 on this very thread:

Upon reboot, I did notice there was some screen burn-in from the updating screen, as pictured. This is a little concerning considering the unit was only on for a little over an hour.

Thanks for pointing that out.  :oops:

Maybe Lurk could comment on whether it was permanent, or it eventually disappeared. (I didn't see an answer on this, but I may have missed it too)
My FLIR camera gets a ghost image from the battery icon when it is charging (from completely dead), but that goes away.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2023, 06:48:00 PM »
Interest in this died out fast..  :lol:

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2023, 07:12:32 PM »
Interest in this died out fast..  :lol:

Yes indeed, when all said and done does not appear to have much to offer other than Davis driving another nail into their own business plan. For most users it is a backward step. Many have been going on for years re a colour screen and this is what they got! 

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2023, 07:30:39 PM »
I have to say, new product syndrome aside, this is beginning to look like a totally unfinished product that should not be released yet.

The console already seems dated in my opinion, like it was made 10 years ago, then someone at Davis found it in a store cupboard and realised it hadn't been released yet.

I know firmware updates can be added down the line, but with Davis' track record, I wouldn't hold your breath on things being added.

I'm slightly lost for words on this product..  #-o

you only had to look at the price for a basic Tablet to know where this was going..
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline lurk

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2023, 07:56:18 PM »
I am dismayed by the screen burn-in. Where did you hear that?

Post #2 on this very thread:

Upon reboot, I did notice there was some screen burn-in from the updating screen, as pictured. This is a little concerning considering the unit was only on for a little over an hour.

Thanks for pointing that out.  :oops:

Maybe Lurk could comment on whether it was permanent, or it eventually disappeared. (I didn't see an answer on this, but I may have missed it too)
My FLIR camera gets a ghost image from the battery icon when it is charging (from completely dead), but that goes away.

Greg H.

I'm happy to say that the screen burn-in didn't persist and eventually disappeared. There's no apparent screen burn-in during regular use too after having been on the home screen display for a few days at 30% brightness. Time will tell how it performs in the long-term, especially if it's on 24/7/365.

When it's disconnected from power, the screen goes to sleep after a couple minutes. Tapping wakes it up. It would be nice if we can program this a bit and even manually set the display to sleep. The display lights up the room and there's currently no way to manually turn it off (sleep display). It'd be great if we can set display sleep schedules, manually trigger it, or even make it switch into dark mode (or at least 'high contrast' mode) on a schedule.

I'll be testing screen burn-in over the next few days at 100% brightness with both the regular blue screen and the high contrast screen. Also putting together power consumption comparisons between the consoles (WeatherLink Console, VP2 Console (no logger), and WeatherLink Live).

Update: No screen burn in after running 100% brightness for a few days on either display mode.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 12:51:34 PM by lurk »

Offline cruff

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2023, 08:56:20 AM »
I received my 6313 yesterday and I have to say Davis really dropped the ball with the potential flexibility for user interaction with the display.

On the home screen there is no way, with the current firmware, to have multiple screens defined that you can swipe through to quickly see different sets of data.

It would have been obvious to me that if you were to touch the wind rose in the center or any of the surrounding panels you would get a pop up of the relevant data for that category. For example if you touched a wind or rain related region you'd see all of the data for that category.

Maybe a dynamic panel that displayed different data depending on the current conditions. Say on a windy day it displays additional wind data or a graph. On a rainy day it displays storm related data.

I'd also like to see each of the 2x3 panels have the ability to be split into 2 separate areas that can display independent categories of data. Some of the categories have an oddly limited combination of data that can be shown, especially for those of us with only a single sensor. For example with the current wind speed shown in the center, there is no need to also show the current wind speed in a panel. Why not allow one to see the 2 minute high speed and the 10 minute average speed instead?

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2023, 10:09:13 AM »
@cruff - thanks for posting this information. I understand you get the one main screen and can customize the tiles. But is that it? I also would have expected multiple virtual screens. I figured there would be a "rain" screen showing graphs and the relevant current data, and similar screens for all the other sensors that you can swipe through.

They should have just released this as an iOS/Android app that communicates to the WLL in order to gauge interest in a hardware solution.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2023, 10:30:01 AM »
you only had to look at the price for a basic Tablet to know where this was going..

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline cruff

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2023, 02:05:52 PM »
@cruff - thanks for posting this information. I understand you get the one main screen and can customize the tiles. But is that it? I also would have expected multiple virtual screens. I figured there would be a "rain" screen showing graphs and the relevant current data, and similar screens for all the other sensors that you can swipe through.

There are graphs and data table screens also, I have not yet had time to explore them. You have to configure what you want to see in graphs, and I don't yet have mine connected to WeatherLink to see my historical data.

I guess I should have made it clear I was just referring to the home screen with the numeric data values being displayed. There are also four small "ball" shaped indicators you can do things like display simple "iconic" type views of the barometric trend, UV index, etc.

Offline DA270

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2023, 12:08:50 PM »

Some of the categories have an oddly limited combination of data that can be shown, especially for those of us with only a single sensor. For example with the current wind speed shown in the center, there is no need to also show the current wind speed in a panel. Why not allow one to see the 2 minute high speed and the 10 minute average speed instead?

A very disappointing product after years of speculation and anticipation of a new console. As cruff points out, the wind data display doesn't even comply with a known standard of wind observation. With the absence of  an option to display instantaneous, 2 minute average and 10 minute peak wind on the home screen (which all three should be part of the central wind rose by default), it seems no one on the development team of this product has any experience, knowledge or interest in actually observing weather data. It appears that the AEM corporate acquisition of Davis does not bode well for the future. I suppose it's all about hitting metrics on a P&L statement now and the introduction of this half baked, toy grade product seems to be indicative of that.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2023, 01:37:05 PM »
Looks like Davis is taking a step towards moving what remains of their domestic manufacturing and assembling to China.

I can see some benefits to more modern technology, and I understand people want something newer, greater, and prettier, but I like the distinctive and functional retro Heathkit type of look where not every device looks like every other device.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2023, 06:53:38 PM »
Looks like Davis is taking a step towards moving what remains of their domestic manufacturing and assembling to China.
If so, then AFAIC, you can stick a fork in them.  :evil:

Offline cruff

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2023, 11:57:21 PM »
Performed more testing tonight.

When connecting to WeatherLink there apparently is no confirmation of success. After entering your user name and password and pressing the "Next" button nothing happens. Only by going back to the account screen was it obvious that it had connected up.

You get one and only one custom graph of two parameters. Once again Davis blew it by not allowing you to define additional graphs that you could select.

Looking at the historic data, even when connected to my WeatherLink account the 6313 apparently won't pull down the historical data logged by my WLL for display. It apparently only looks at its locally archived data.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2023, 08:47:42 AM »
After reading the comments here, I'll save the $400 for the display and use it towards something more worthwhile. This release reminds me of initial release of Windows 8 and we, the general public, were the alpha and beta testers and have been since that time.

I'll keep my 90's era display and logger until it gives out. If Davis is still around at that time, I'll contemplate using them based on what they have available at that time. Otherwise, I'll find another company to buy my weather station and accessories from.

GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline hoodro

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2023, 11:01:14 AM »
My new WeatherLink Console arrived a few days ago.  Setup was easy and only took about 30 mins to complete, including updates.  I especially like the slim design vs the original Vantage Pro2 console, as well as being able to arrange the screen data as desired.  The $400 price point is too much, but that's the way most everything is these days.

As far as I can tell, I will have to keep the original console with the data logger in order to connect to my PC and upload to Weather Underground and other third party sites. (It's still Work In Progress)

Overall, I'm very pleased with the layout and nice appearance, but I'd like to see Davis add Daily Hi-Low Temps and Wind Speed to the customizable options on the display.  There's definitely room for some improvement here, but my initial impression is good, especially regarding the nice portable design.

Offline Skijackz

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2023, 02:00:29 PM »
After about 2 weeks of having the Console up and running, I will say we love it. Does it have flaws? Absolutely. No Airlink, limited options and flexibility with the choices for the cards, not as dynamic as it could be. But we have it mounted in the kitchen for the family to see the basics and for that, it's a big upgrade over the VP2 console. Easy to see, especially at night and from a distance and good (not great) data being displayed. We use the app when we want to dive deeper into graphs and monthly statistics. If we want to see that on the Console, we can but it's a bit clunkier getting to see what we want.

I don't get having the Console report up to Weatherlink. I've got a WLL and it works just fine but now I have both the WLL and Console on my app. Don't like that at all. Another thing I don't like, and this is both the app and the Console, is that the forecasts are WAY off for my area (Colorado) but to be fair, it's really hard to forecast when I can drive 2 miles and be 500 feet lower.

Is it worth the price? If I was getting a new VP2 system, then yes. But I replaced a VP2 console (and have two others through the house) and it's too costly to replace the other consoles. For the singular purpose of replacing the main VP2 console, it's worth the upgrade to us.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 02:02:11 PM by Skijackz »

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »
I don't get having the Console report up to Weatherlink. I've got a WLL and it works just fine but now I have both the WLL and Console on my app. Don't like that at all.

Why have both sending data? I would've just left the WLL doing that and kept the console unlinked from weatherlink.