Author Topic: Where can I find the 'AP Station'?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Critical Zone Observatory

Where can I find the 'AP Station'?
« on: August 17, 2022, 10:08:56 AM »
Hi, I'm having a couple of issues setting up my Vantage Vue and Wifi logger for the first time. I can find the IP address of the wifi router but am having problems connecting it to the wifi, so i want to eliminate a few possible issues. The first being the 'AP Station' which I am directed to 'enable'. The problem is that the 'wifi setup' page does not mention an 'AP station' that I can see, (see attachment). Any help on this matter much appreciated.

Offline BigAlT

Re: Where can I find the 'AP Station'?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 03:12:46 PM »
That’s referring to the Connect to Router with these Settings Box on the page you’ve shown in your screen shot. Make sure your router WiFi ID and password are entered correctly. Then hit the save button. The WiFi logger should then show your WiFi network in the box below. It should also show connected as well. If not, go to the system menu under Setup and click on the button that says Restart. To find out what ip your router has assigned to the WiFi Logger go to the Network menu under Setup.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 04:29:22 PM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 09:23:05 PM »
If you tap Advanced Options button, once you see Connected, you will see where you may choose to enable AP mode. Here you will also see the IP of your WiFi network that the Logger is connected at.

Go to System and tap Restart,  or click the white button once on the Logger and it should be visible at that IP from a browser on a device connected to the same WiFi.

Give it a moment or two to show connected on your screenshot page. I find it takes a few seconds after refreshing.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 09:25:13 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline Critical Zone Observatory

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 09:28:07 AM »
Thank you for your help davidmc36 and BigAIT. It looks like my problem is connecting to the wifi of a university that has tight security architecture for business. I can only log on to the wifi through a personal account and this means needing the option of a username field from the wifi logger. Without it I can't join the university's network (without invalidating their insurance and security).

I'd be interested to know the experiences of anyone else who has set up a Vantage Vue and wifi logger with a university or large business?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 03:02:16 PM »
We had the same issue with an acquaintance who's wife is a teacher at local High School. Their PC quit after a bug system crash and IT was unwilling to set it up again. WiFi Logger will not connect to "Enterprise" network.

No worries. He is receiving the ISS to Console at his house at 900 meters distance. Now if we could get the custodian to run up and swap out the ISS I have an overhauled unit to replace it. The Super Cap and battery are gone and it only transmits from after sun up to about midnight.

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 02:47:06 AM »
I found a post ( https://linustechtips.com/topic/1347563-wpa2-eap-repeater-to-wpa2-personal/ ) where someone asked the question “ I'm trying to get a wifi repeater that connects to a WPA2-EAP network then transmits a new SSID with WPA2-Personal. “ the eventual answer was that “The Wireless repeater, GL.iNET GL-AR300M runs on openWRT so I'm hoping this should do the trick as it should support WPA2-EAP. “ with the follow up that “ Well ran a quick test and it allows connection to a WPA2-EAP network and then broadcasts WPA2-PSK network. “. It’s relatively inexpensive and may operate as a bridge between your WPA- Enterprise System and your WiFi Logger.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 02:52:37 AM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

anything