Author Topic: Wifi Logger Version?  (Read 960 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Wifi Logger Version?
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »

I want to update my wifi logger version but I cannot tell if I have WifiLogger 1 or 2.

Nothing I have in invoice or original box tells me and I cannot tell by looking at it.

So, anyone, how do I tell what I have?

Thanks in advance

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Wifi Logger Version?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 11:26:27 PM »
Do you mean the WiFiLogger sold by Scaled Instruments ?
If your WiFi Logger has an SD card slot it is a logger 2. Also the pic I have seen of the logger 2 has WFL 2.0 silkscreened on the board. Both run firmware v2.3  I believe. The only differences are a newer WiFi chip a nd the SD card slot which isn't used at this time and the WL2 is compatible with WL.com and WU with rapidfire.
If the last two things aren't important then upgrading won't get you anything extra.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/hardware-data-loggers-software/hardware-software-bundles/wifilogger2/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:29:03 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 06:16:17 AM »
Wojtek may wish to add further here, but AIUI the main difference between WFL v1 and v2 is that v1 uses the ESP8266 module while v2 uses ESP32. ESP32 is a substantially beefed up version, with faster CPU, much more memory etc etc.

While v1 and v2 perform broadly similarly at present, v2/ESP32 offers much more headroom for adding new features in the future.

For more details see eg: https://www.electromaker.io/blog/article/esp32-vs-esp8266-which-is-better
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:26:41 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »
Do you mean the WiFiLogger sold by Scaled Instruments ?
If your WiFi Logger has an SD card slot it is a logger 2. Also the pic I have seen of the logger 2 has WFL 2.0 silkscreened on the board. Both run firmware v2.3  I believe. The only differences are a newer WiFi chip a nd the SD card slot which isn't used at this time and the WL2 is compatible with WL.com and WU with rapidfire.
If the last two things aren't important then upgrading won't get you anything extra.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/hardware-data-loggers-software/hardware-software-bundles/wifilogger2/

I have this and I bought it at Scaled Instruments. Is this a logger 1 or 2?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 11:13:25 AM »
Looks like ESP12S = ESP8266 ==> v1

If you look at the 4th slide in the set at the top of http://wifilogger.net/index.html then you'll see what v2 looks like. (ie check the differences in text on the main chip)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:19:52 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »
One set of pictures has WLF2 silkscreened above the buttons.  Another slide has WIFILogger 2 at the bottom.

So if you don't see either of those, it's a WFL1
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 08:51:04 PM »
A photo of WiFi Logger 2 is attached. While hard to read, right above the white and red buttons is “WFL 2.0”

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:00:25 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Skid_Mark

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 11:59:32 PM »
With my Version 2 unit I can connect to the unit. Go to the Setup tap, select System. At the top of that page it shows Firmware version: WiFiLogger2 2.34. My guess a version 1 may either show WiFiLogger x.xx or WiFiLogger1 x.xx.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 08:32:10 AM »
My WiFiLogger 1 shows version 2.30. It's current uptime is 18 days. It feeds VVPRO on the weather computer which feeds 5 programs on the weather computer and one back office computer for testing.

anything