Author Topic: WifiLogger vs Davis 6100  (Read 1224 times)

Offline rhodesengr

WifiLogger vs Davis 6100
« on: February 09, 2020, 03:06:44 PM »
Would the Davis 6100 be considered an alternative to Wifilogger? How do they compare and contrast? This would be to work with a Vantage Vue to get data uploaded online.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WifiLogger vs Davis 6100
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »
Would the Davis 6100 be considered an alternative to Wifilogger?

Yes

How do they compare and contrast?

They are similar in some ways and different in others  :grin:. It does depend on exactly what you want to do, both now and potentially in the future. And it's not easy to summarise all the features in a short post.

Weatherlink Live (WLL) is a completely separate receiver to the console (indeed there's no need to have a console at all with WLL) and can be positioned wherever you like as long as it sees an ISS signal and a network connection.

WLL's main role in life is to upload data to the Davis weatherlink.com platform and its whole design is focused around this. That said, it is possible to receive WLL data on another local computer, eg a Raspberry Pi running CumuluxMX, but obviously that entails running a separate computer, which some/many users may be trying to avoid. If you're happy focusing your data handling around weatherlink.com then WLL is the official and perhaps the best option.

WLL also has another standout feature in that it can receive data from any mix of transmitters on all 8 wireless channels, ie it is much more flexible than a standard console. But if all you want to do is to receive data from a Vue ISS then this flexibility is irrelevant.

One important limitation of the WLL unit is that it cannot store archive data in a form that's readily accessible by other local computers. (Edit: To accommodate Brian's comment below: If you have a Pro plan ($50pa) at weatherlink.com then archive data may be available as a download from the weatherlink.com platform to external software, but this is not the same as the archive being stored directly in the logger, as WFL can do)

In most other respects the WiFi Logger (WFL) is a good option and arguably with wider applications than WLL. Specifically, WFL is significantly cheaper than WLL (which will be a big factor for many users) and can upload direct to a range of online platforms like WU (including RapidFire), WOW (and also - with the small caveat that this is an unofficial upload - weatherlink.com) etc.

WFL is similar to other Davis loggers like the USB and WeatherlinkIP parts in that it fits inside the console, rather than being a completely separate part like WLL. So WFL becomes an integral part of the console and takes all its power from the console.

In other words, WFL is a fully self-contained solution for making online uploads and requires no external computer running, though WFL can also connect as a network logger to a wide range of software running on another local computer, if that's your preference and you do want that added functionality.

Guess that's it in a nutshell for the main considerations, but there are numerous other pros and cons to each. Ask if you have follow-up questions.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 07:27:22 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
tons of thanks. very helpful

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:06:47 PM »
One important limitation of WLL is that it cannot store archive data in a form that's readily accessible by other local computers.
not true  ;)

history data from WLL is available from weatherlink.com V2 API (for up to last 24 hours) for Pro plans
and there is software to get that data
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:52:18 PM by waiukuweather »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 03:18:36 AM »
One important limitation of WLL is that it cannot store archive data in a form that's readily accessible by other local computers.
not true  ;)

history data from WLL is available from weatherlink.com V2 API (for up to last 24 hours) for Pro plans
and there is software to get that data

Of course historical data is available from weatherlink.com if you have a Pro plan and also if you're using computer software that has correctly implemented and configured the v2 API. But that's not the same as the archive data being available direct from the WLL unit. This is an important point of difference to loggers like the WiFi logger (and eg Nano too) where archive data is held locally in the familiar binary format that most weather station software is able to read.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:21:53 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 03:22:25 AM »
yeah but that is just semantics
history data is available via the cloud

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 03:36:35 AM »
yeah but that is just semantics

Nonsense. Many (70-80% IME) users of weatherlink.com do not have a Pro account. They like it for access to current weather conditions via eg a smartphone app but are typically reluctant to fork out for the subscription.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:40:46 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK