Author Topic: The bushfires in Australia are so big they're generating their own weather  (Read 6716 times)

Offline KenW

Re: The bushfires in Australia are so big they're generating their own weather
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 07:13:06 PM »
Good reply Mattk.  Appears credible.  Now if you could just look up the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'.  An American disease, I fear.

The other problem with your reply and emphasis, is that its the ferocity of fires that is linked by some to climate change, not how they started.
Many quotes from old-timers, who have never seen the like.

But as has been said already, no opinions will get changed by what is posted here.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »
Oh Ken, Not the pick on me gamma, I'm gunna ha tha fix that :)

Yeah anyway, there's probably not a lot of old timers from the 1851's, 1898's, 1926 even 1939 that were actually fighting those fires so it is hard to gauge a good picture apart from the recorded history which is pretty dam good, especially 1938/39. It's undeniable that the country has been hotter and drier in the past and historical have certainly been ferocious as 2 in particular have the badge of being some of the world's worst fires and those of course were way before any of the current 20 or 30 year limited editions knew what climate actually was, some still don't.

Where some of the terms become grey is the intentional arsonist v the unintentional fire source, grinders, welders, slashers, property owners themselves burning off or burning firebreaks, like fining somebody a $100,000 or so for creating a firebreak and apparently was the only home saved tends to make a mockery of the system and intelligence of the authorities, Gee like every year even the National Park burn offs generally gets away from them and burns half the country side anyway.

And if I hear another mention of "cultural cool burns" and Australian fires were somehow magically controlled by the locals in the past I'm going to scream       

Offline KenW

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2020, 08:07:33 PM »
From what I've read of "cultural cool burns", it seems the part played by Aborigines' fire-stick habits is overstated WRT reducing bushfires.  They did it largely to muster animals for food.  (They are the ones who've been lighting fires in Australia for thousands of years.)
And the fire chiefs are downplaying the usefulness of undergrowth burns, saying some of the hottest fires burnt through areas cool-burnt a few years prior.

I know its felt that burning off is vital to keeping the bush safe.  But I didn't enjoy seeing burnt trees and grass, and smoky fires, when I toured through Kakadu National Park.  And they do it too often.  The life cycle of some species of grasses that native animals depend on, is longer than the burning cycle they use.

I will admit to being a spelling and grammar nazi, but the 'lose' vs 'loose' thing really bugs me.  Language is fluid.  If enough people balls it up, the change gets into common use, then the next thing you know, official dictionary definitions adjust to follow.
Sorry, I was determined to stay out of this thread, now I'm sending it all over the place.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2020, 08:16:31 PM »
Totally agree Ken, continually burning off for no good reason other than just to burning off will change the whole local environment of the vegetation and animals that live there based on some myth that if repeated too many times will become a fact by default. Unfortunately there is a bandwagon load of inexperience pushing this one.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2020, 09:01:44 PM »
The number of arson arrest are staggering if this report is accurate.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/bushfires-firebugs-fuelling-crisis-asarson-arresttollhits183/news-story/52536dc9ca9bb87b7c76d36ed1acf53f
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:05:54 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2020, 09:16:03 PM »
Yes, my bad. Shouldn't have posted the video link with the rough language even if on topic.
A farmer from Downunder goes on a cursing rant and not appropriate if you want to view the video, youtube Paul Joseph Watson
"The Truth About the Australian Bushfires".  It does hit on a lot of key topics brought up here.

Sorry, but I don't consider someone who is an associate of Alex Jones to be creditable.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2020, 09:22:37 PM »
Fact remains... The vast majority of these wild fires are human caused whether intentional (arson) or just plain stupid/careless fire management...

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2020, 11:28:40 PM »
Ummm... the 'ArsonEmergency' appears to be a disinformation campaign spread by bots/trolls

https://www.zdnet.com/article/twitter-bots-and-trolls-promote-conspiracy-theories-about-australian-bushfires/

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2020, 04:52:45 AM »
The number as of Monday was (183) came directly from NSW own government site, 205 as bushfire-related offenses. That number from the headline above of arsonists did sound suspicious and why I said if accurate. 24 arrests for arson is still very high and can cause carnage. No telling how many never got caught. 

Quote: Since Friday 8 November 2019, legal action – which ranges from cautions through to criminal charges – has been taken against 183 people – including 40 juveniles – for 205 bushfire-related offences.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/news_article?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGZWJpenByZC5wb2xpY2UubnN3Lmdvdi5hdSUyRm1lZGlhJTJGODIyNjQuaHRtbCZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D
Randy

Offline KenW

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »
The truth about Australia's fires — arsonists aren't responsible for many
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2020, 05:52:05 PM »
BOM just don't give up with their self preservation and I suppose if it wasn't for Greg Hunt protecting it in the Abbott government from independent inquiry we may have know the real truth.

Last week an observation from one of the NSW BOM sites was typical, BOM predicted a max of 44.0c, recordings throughout the day showed the observed max as 42.7c, done deal one would have thought, then the next day the same site had been changed to reflect a max temp of 44.9c for the day in question, so the station max'd at 42.7c, BOM predicted a max of 44.0c and magically the station max temp shows 44.9c the next day after a max of 42.7c. This is the sort of manipulation and bastardisation of the data that has been typical of BOM and their self interest in achieving a pre-defined goal, no wonder they have lost credibility   

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2020, 04:27:13 AM »
The truth about Australia's fires — arsonists aren't responsible for many
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022

Ken, You should now the politics of the "ABC", who funds them and who tells them what they should say and why :)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2020, 04:35:58 AM »
This is a rather interesting link (as now archived) that was strangely deleted from Wikipedia for some strange, unknown reason

https://web.archive.org/web/20191115154603/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_who_disagree_with_the_scientific_consensus_on_global_warming

So do all the intellectual people listed have it so wrong that this site was deleted or are those doing the deleting running scared of real scientists, doing real climate work without fear or favour?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2020, 07:35:06 AM »
This is a rather interesting link (as now archived) that was strangely deleted from Wikipedia for some strange, unknown reason

https://web.archive.org/web/20191115154603/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_who_disagree_with_the_scientific_consensus_on_global_warming

So do all the intellectual people listed have it so wrong that this site was deleted or are those doing the deleting running scared of real scientists, doing real climate work without fear or favour?

Just yesterday one of the more brilliant minds and conservative voices Dinesh D'Souza said this:

"Many “fact checking” sites typically don’t fact check. They dispute a position by offering the other side—the left side—of the argument. Then they falsely portray their disagreement with a position as its factual refutation "

If it can't be disputed why not just delete?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:36:42 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

anything