Author Topic: Wx Station with no roof access  (Read 546 times)

Offline NeuroDoc

Wx Station with no roof access
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:31:58 PM »
I've been a weather buff for as long as I can remember (my 15 minutes of weather fame came in writing one of the earliest weather report programs for the internet, in the pre-web era!).

For the past few years, I've had a Bloomsky kit, which works fine but is limited in ability.  It's simply mounted on a small balcony outside a second-story window of our house.  I'd really like to improve my setup, but our house has a slate roof, making access tricky.  In addition, we have virtually no outdoor space, so a pole mounted solution is probably unworkable (not to mention the low WAF!).

The balcony I'm using now is facing west, and is only about 3' wide and 13' long, with a 3' tall rail around it.  The face of the house would probably block wind coming from the east, and I'm sure temperatures would be off as well.

Any suggestions for mounting a station, or do I admit defeat for the foreseeable future??

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Wx Station with no roof access
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 08:51:49 PM »
I've been a weather buff for as long as I can remember

Any suggestions for mounting a station, or do I admit defeat for the foreseeable future??
As weather enthusiasts here, we all know the likeliness of a less than perfect siting. I've said it here before, and I'll say it again, but sometimes it's just not realistic for some to have a PWS, especially when factoring the cost to do so just merely to have basically unusable data. It is what it is.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »
A creative solution may be to reach out to a school in your neighborhood. You could donate a station and offer to support it. You can have at the data from uploading to online services, or even set up your own website. Then you can get great data that is relatively representative of your area.

But I wouldn't give up so easily on your home. Take some pictures and share them. I bet that some people on this forum could then give you some interesting solutions.

Don't be so concerned about the WAF. I'm sure there is a long laundry list of things that she never would expect to get accomplished...do one of those things and then name your price. Later on, once it has been up for some time you just get used to it and it doesn't seem so bad.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:03:11 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »
Since your Bloomsky is solar, couldn't you put up a mast in the yard with some side arm piping to fasten the mounting stakes of the BLMSKY to .  You could use pipe clamps, you know those clamps they hold radiator hoses on a car, screw type to mount to the ground stakes of your unit?  Just be sure to anchor the solar panel cables so they don't detatch.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:17:30 PM »
What about a gable mount?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything