Author Topic: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page  (Read 16739 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2019, 06:58:21 AM »

I’m sick and tired of the drops, losses, lame ads, lost features, empty promises, and their globologna fake-science brain-washing campaign.

Now that's spot on.
Randy

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
Also, they're slowly crippling the old leftover page, you can no longer go to a custom date or use the previous/next buttons, it loads infinitely.

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »
You can send them your data or not. They don't care.

Clearly, they don't care.

Here is their response to my note:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at Weather Underground.
We have a very small stuff dedicated to support, and it can sometimes take awhile for us to get to responding. I apologize if we’ve taken more time than you deem acceptable to answer your email.
That said, the language, tone, and threatening nature of your email is inexcusable, and won’t be tolerated.
As you stated, you have a choice where you upload your data. You also have a choice to consider your words, political opinions, and other site-bashing rhetoric when contacting Weather Underground.
Finally, to answer your question, we aren’t presently supporting uploading data from previous hours or days. We hope to bring this feature back in the future.
Thank you for being a part of the Weather Underground community.
Regards,
The WU Team

I replied,
Your response references a complaint I sent to you weeks ago.  Are you conflating?

It humors me how you also conflate science and “politics.”  I never mentioned “politics“ -you did.  To me it’s more evidence against you.

Since you are able to see old communication between us, why don’t you dig deeper and see the myriad of messages that I have sent that provided you with important information, site testing (at your request), dialog, and recommendations (many of which you adopted) ?

Since the flack is so heavy, I must be over the target.

Go see how the perception of your “service” has morphed over at WXFORUM.net. The people there are always happy to hear how you handle complaints from data providers.

Do you think I am alone?

I am not YOUR customer. You are MY customer.  People who read your nasty ads are YOUR customers.

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2019, 09:25:35 PM »
I am not YOUR customer. You are MY customer.  People who read your nasty ads are YOUR customers.[/color]

Yeah, here's the problem.  You aren't their customer and they aren't selling you anything...those ads are easily blocked and are sold to advertisers.  You are the product, sold to "big data" customers starting at $200/mo.

If you don't want to be the product you have that option, but it won't make a bit of difference.  Their actions drown out all their words.

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »
The lower case "id" link just stopped working too. Classic WU is completely gone now.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
No data on mine but webcam is still up lol

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
The lower case "id" link just stopped working too. Classic WU is completely gone now.
Yup also the forecast page isn't even loading now on IE or edge.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2019, 05:45:52 PM »
And what is left?  The new, semi-functional, page and good luck trying to add a webcam.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
Just having a little laugh.

Updated 2020 yrs ago. :lol: :-P

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2019, 03:41:02 AM »

It's not working, but not in the way the above message implies, it now redirects to the new, broken page.  So it's broken-as-designed rather than broken-by-accident.

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:56 AM »

It's not working, but not in the way the above message implies, it now redirects to the new, broken page.  So it's broken-as-designed rather than broken-by-accident.
I did say Classic WU was *gone* after that change. I did imply it was changed by design as WU had already said they'd be phasing out these workarounds. Which is a huge shame. Horrible website.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
I did say Classic WU was *gone* after that change.
What goes around, comes around... http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10424.msg100228#msg100228

Try to enjoy,
Paul

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »
I really just want the decimals back at this point for temperature. What's worse is that they don't even seem to save them internally with decimals anymore either... I tried using the API to make custom graphs on my website a couple of days ago and the temperatures were returned in integer rounded values too! Ugh.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »
I really just want the decimals back at this point for temperature. What's worse is that they don't even seem to save them internally with decimals anymore either... I tried using the API to make custom graphs on my website a couple of days ago and the temperatures were returned in integer rounded values too! Ugh.

From the compute side of the equation - it may be faster and take up less space for their systems to store an integer.  That's the only thing I can think of that might shed light as to why the decimals are missing.  Plus, watson probably runs faster too with int data.

Offline vsakalis

« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2019, 04:02:49 AM »
You are right Konz, but if it is like this why they store zero decimal at wind speed and gust? Also why they use 2 decimal in pressure? Why they use 2 decimal in rain data?
Zero decimal or non zero decimal takes exactly the same space of data. So it is not this reason...They havent reason...it is completely stupid. Theu dont care

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2019, 05:38:05 AM »
WU has stated that the reason they went with whole numbers for temperature and wind (and all else) is because of the accuracy of weather station hardware was ±1°F and ±1 mph at best so they felt it was meaningless to show more precision. I'm not saying that I agree or that it is a good conclusion. I feel they don't know the difference between accuracy and precision. They missed the mark in several ways which shows that the people that designed the new UI were not meteorologist. Rain rate in whole numbers is useless. They also forgot to think like scientists which even in the US many use metric.

The whole new UI with its large eye candy graphics was an attempt to dumb down the interface, and it was done by dummies.

They solicited user input last year before the new UI was finished being coded and people like me offered feedback on the new design and they didn't listen. They asked for feedback but what they really wanted was "yes men" and a pat in the back.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:48:13 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »
This thread reminds me of watching this on a loop... ;)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/fsH4usEacJ4[/youtube]

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Cocute

« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2019, 05:35:42 AM »
hello, in new design is possible some parameter in url to show direct in degrees Celsius?
is very bungling load my PWS in fahrenheit and in two seconds auto reload web in degrees Celsius.

Please back online classic PWS view
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:37:23 AM by Cocute »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2019, 08:11:45 AM »
Classic???? I'm sure bon frickkin schance.

At least the metric "after-load" and sign in came back. Whew!

Offline vsakalis

« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2019, 05:18:45 AM »
MIRACLE....

DECIMAL (in temperature) RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline theslydog

« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2019, 06:32:25 AM »
MIRACLE....

DECIMAL (in temperature) RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but I wonder how long for?....

I was just about ready to pull my PWSs off WU maybe I will leave them a little longer....