Author Topic: Meteobridge Pro Stability & ISS Signal Capture  (Read 418 times)

Offline Grumpy Patzer

Meteobridge Pro Stability & ISS Signal Capture
« on: July 31, 2020, 02:51:03 AM »
Good morning

For a few weeks, I have been using a MB NanoSD in my Davis VP2 and am really pleased with it.  Although only for a short period of time, it has been working perfectly.  An impressive little piece of kit.

I am now wondering whether to replace it with a MB Pro.  This would enable me to position the Davis console where I would prefer to have it (without needing a power connection) and the Pro would be sited in a more convenient location, too.  However, having done a little forum searching, I see that there is a certain amount of discussion about (a) the Pro’s ability to capture the RF signal from the Davis ISS (compared with the console); and (b) general stability, occasional data loss and the possibility of needing reboots or even power-off restarts.

So I would appreciate hearing any thoughts or, in particular, experiences on either of these points.

Two other points I should mention:

The console is currently sited approx. 80m away from the ISS, with line of sight through a double-glazed window.  However, I would position the Pro, if I get one, a similar distance away but in a timber frame garage, so the signal would have to pass through (reasonably thin) layers of wood cladding and plasterboard.  One thing I could try, before taking the plunge with the Pro, is to check the signal strength in the garage on the Davis console.  Another option would be an external aerial (mounted on the outside wall), although I would prefer not to have to do that.

The garage is unheated so, in the winter, could be several degrees (both F and C … ;-)) below freezing.  The location is in the NW Scottish Highlands, but some distance from the coast, at just under 200m asl.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.

Andrew

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Meteobridge Pro Stability & ISS Signal Capture
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 04:53:07 AM »
Hi there, just for your information, you can replace the Antenna on the MB Pro with larger ones.

https://forum.meteohub.de/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=14859&p=33065
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:12:19 AM »
The console with the NanoSD is going to have a very similar/same reception as a console with a Davis logger, the MB Pro will typically not have the same reception ability but there are ways around this with re-transmit options.

Offline Grumpy Patzer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 05:35:28 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  Much appreciated.

Yes, a separate antenna (or even an external one, on the outside of the garage) is one of the options I can certainly consider.

I suppose console retransmission is another option, although that would mean not being able to put the console elsewhere in the house (e.g. on my desk), which rather defeats one of the main reasons I might get the MB Pro.

At any rate, one of the things I can try in due course (probably next week, when I have more time) is checking the signal strength, as measured by the console, where I would site the Pro if I get one.

Andrew

anything